Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 days post-op & questions!

Hello Everyone!

I'm brand new here, but after a few weeks of lurking, I think I'm ready to take the plunge and finally post!

Let me start from my surgery date, which was 11-28. I was the surgeon's 5th lap band surgery ever at this hospital. He's performed them as an assistant surgeon around the country, but we were the first few actually done in this hospital. He has however, preformed thousands of bypass surgeries, so I was completely comfortable with him. The biggest problem so far though, is they don't have a list of patients they can reflect back on to give me many answers to possible obstacles I may have.

So this is why I've come looking for possible advice from people who have been in my shoes.

I had dry heaves from the anesthesia for close to 48 hrs after surgery. It was awful. It was continuous. I was discharged 5 hrs after I came out of the recovery room, and send home to deal with the vomiting on my own. The dr. was adament that there was no rush for us to go home, and we could stay as long as we wanted to that day, or even stay the night if that made us more comfortable. The nurses seemed to have other ideas though, and seemed to push us out the door as soon as they could. Can dry heaving for 48 hrs be a problem to my band?

I'm now 3 days post-op and although I'm not having the vomiting anymore, I'm having other obstacles. I didn't start holding Water or liquids down until yesterday, but now that I am, I'm STARVING! I've had water, sugar-free fudgecicles, and unsweetened applesauce. Nothing takes away the hunger though. Is it normal to feel so hungry all the time in the beginning? is it something I will just need to deal with until my first fill? The dr. doesn't want to see me back for a month if I have no complications.

Can someone go through the first couple weeks with me about their wound healing, and diet? I have 2 incisions that don't look infected, but they hurt A LOT!

ALL ADVICE IS APPRECIATED!

Thanks!

Tenille

I hurt alot the first couple of weeks. Matter a fact the first week was the worst week after surgery that I have ever had. (I have had 2 c sections and a hysterectomy) I hurt really really bad. Everyone is different though. I did not dry heave but did have to stay in the hospital due to pain and weakness from anesthesia. (I really am not a baby either it just really was painful...have I said that enough??) Anyway, I never have had a problem keeping anything down & have only had a problem once with a pill that got stuck and came right back up. I never felt hungry until about 3 weeks after surgery & if I do feel hungry it takes very little to satisfy me. I think everyone is different so hang in there & if you feel the need to call your Dr. don't hesitate to do so. Even if only to be sure and to make you feel at ease. :confused:

1) Dry heaving, or any kind of heaving is BAD. If it hasn't stopped - get back to your doc. You need something to counter that - and now.

2) pain is normal. Take your meds. Do no be brave.

3) Hunger was normal - for me. Especially if you got the Vanguard Band - you may not have any swelling at all. I know that once I healed up, I could eat anything and everything - and I did.

But that was AFTER I healed up. You need to let your pouch relax for the first several weeks after the band is placed. No twisting and gurgling to try and digest stuff. You want food that just slides through. For now, don't concern youself with portion size or anything like that. Just be sure that you do the liquids for as long as you are supposed to, then the mushies, and then the soft foods. If you need to drink four Protein shakes to feel good - then do it - but don't break out the steak and eggs until you are healed.

4) Pester your doctor if you have ANY questions. If he doesn't give you answers you understand - come here and we will try and translate into Regular Person.

Hugs and good luck!!

Since I did have dry heaves for 48 hrs, do you think that caused any damage to my band? What kind of problems can that do to it?

Heaves can increase risk of slippage.

I went home the same day- I had very little pain- I did great on tylenol rapid melts.

I was hungry the first week and too afraid to push to hard. Clear liquid was the hardest for me- the full liquid was much easier!!

Since you started out heaving (my opinion here) you need to be very careful and do your liquids for the entire time. Your band will need extra time and care to settle. What ever it takes try not to heave or vomit!!! Get zofran or phenergan if you need it.

Welcome to band land!!

My surgeon warned me against vomiting and urged me to be very careful and not vomit if at all possible, that it could cause problems. Sounds like your swelling may have gone down since you are getting hungry. Just sip all you can, be sure you take a high quality, lo carb Protein supplement (made for bariatric patients, not body builders)...that will help quell the hunger.

Until you get a fill you won't have any restrictons and will be hungry....in fact it may take 2 or 3 fills.

Aftercare and fills are a major part of the success of the band....I'm sorry your doctor doesn't know much about that part. You do need to keep in close touch with a couple of good boards that have experienced wls patients on them to answer your questions. There are some very professional and knowledable people on www.bariatriceating.com so tune in there.

I feel your pain! I dry heaved and vomited for 7 days! I haven't had problems, but I've only had my band since August. That first month was MISERY for me because I was so so hungry. Even though I've had 2 fills, I still have no restriction, BUT I'm amazed how my body has adusted to smaller amounts of food (willpower) and wayyyy less sugar. I'm having my 3rd fill on Monday, and I'm hoping and praying that I will get restriction this time!! My surgeon does the fills with fluoro, so I know my band is OK right now. Hang in there, those first few weeks are way harder for some than for others! I had a hard time!!!

The first 3 days were really hard for me...lost of pain and nausea. I didn't have dry heaves though. I was on Clear Liquids for the first 5 days and by the 5th day I was not OK with drinking another mug of broth. Ha ha! But as I was able to add pudding, creamy Soups and yogurt I felt a lot better. Just hang in there for a few more days and you will start to feel better. By a week after my surgery I was feeling much better and 2 weeks out I was almost 100%, I just didn't have a lot of energy. I hope you feel better!