Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stop having so many damn kids; population control, anyone?

Oh, my God, Dotofoz......ME, a conservative? Bite your tongue. I'm a bleeding heart Liberal.

then why are you so anti choice?

Wow, you have $10,000 to donate to charity a year..Lucky you!!! What the heck are you complaining about? May I ask, what charity you donate too?

That's not QUITE what I said. I said if the government reduced my taxes by $10,000 and I could donate that to charity instead, it would be better used because the charity would get more than just the leftovers that managed to filter through the bureaucracy.That being said, my accountant marvels every year at what our family donates to charity. They said our overall total and our percentage of gross is consistently higher than most of their clients, even their very wealthy clients. We are not very wealthy (we do OK), but I believe very strongly in being charitable and giving back.My complaint about taxes is that when they are given out to charity, I don't get to choose what charities they go to. For example, it burns the heck out of me that Planned Parenthood gets some of my money in federal funding when they booked something like $63 million in excess profit last year.

What can I say is that my father was a kid in the depression and he and my mom saved and saved, and he worked 3 jobs at one point. That's why they were able to help. W-O-R-K ethics and saving. Also, in our family, the kids come first. Goofy concept, I know.

No, it's NOT a goofy concept. It's the way things SHOULD be, but aren't (unfortunately). My mother was a single mom who worked two jobs most of my life. My dad was an alcoholic who would show up every once in a while with some grand gesture - bicycles or a TV or something - but did not make regular child support payments. It was a tough life - for her and for us. But it wasn't my fault (or my brother's) that our dad didn't do the right thing. Fast forward to today. There are lots of deadbeat parents, no argument about that. But should we, as a society, punish their kids for that? If we don't provide for those children, who will?

Whatsoever you do for the least of mine, you do for me.

My complaint about taxes is that when they are given out to charity, I don't get to choose what charities they go to.
I agree to a point with this. As an atheist and a firm believer in civil rights, I would certainly prefer that my taxes aren't given to some faith-based initiatives. But they are. It's part of being a tax-paying citizen. We don't necessarily get to choose where our tax dollars go.

What can I say is that my father was a kid in the depression and he and my mom saved and saved, and he worked 3 jobs at one point. That's why they were able to help. W-O-R-K ethics and saving. Also, in our family, the kids come first. Goofy concept, I know. I really don't think I'd think differently because she still wouldn't have anything from the gov't.

Well my parents weren't around during the depression, but they have worked hard their entire life. My grandmother was only 2 in 1929, so I don't know anyone that old. Anywho, my mother worked 2 and 3 jobs during high school to help support her family. She wanted to go to college, but couldn't. My father also came from a poor background. If his father wasn't killed in the military, he wouldn't have had the $$ to go to college. I guess he wasn't supposed to except that though either. My parents pushed school, but they always told me it was just as important to have common sense.

I guess working in the school system and being around all economic backgrounds I know everyone wasn't raised like me. My best friend in high school had way more $$ than me. She wasn't taught to work hard or study hard in school. She dedicated her time to shopping. Now she is a stay @ home mom of 2 kids. She isn't a bad person she just didn't have the same outlook on live as me. And ironically she homeschools her kids:phanvan

That's not QUITE what I said. I said if the government reduced my taxes by $10,000 and I could donate that to charity instead, it would be better used because the charity would get more than just the leftovers that managed to filter through the bureaucracy.That being said, my accountant marvels every year at what our family donates to charity. They said our overall total and our percentage of gross is consistently higher than most of their clients, even their very wealthy clients. We are not very wealthy (we do OK), but I believe very strongly in being charitable and giving back.My complaint about taxes is that when they are given out to charity, I don't get to choose what charities they go to. For example, it burns the heck out of me that Planned Parenthood gets some of my money in federal funding when they booked something like $63 million in excess profit last year.

I would LOVE to see a new system whereby everyone had to give a modest % of their income to charities of their choice, and were allowed to reduce their taxes by the same amount. You know what would happen though, don't you? The same thing that happened in Texas when they legalized Bingo for charity - all kinds of weird charities were suddenly born. Google "Highland Park TX" and you will find that it is one of the most affluent areas in the state. "Trees for Highland Park" was one of the charities on the Comptroller's list of Bingo charities. What a crock!

Sometimes private citizens are just as morally bankrupt as elected officials.

What charities do you donate too?

What charities do you donate too?

That's a personal question I'd rather not answer. You've asked twice. Why is it so important to you?

That's a personal question I'd rather not answer. You've asked twice. Why is it so important to you?

I never thought asking someone about what charity they donated too was a personal question. I guess to each is own, but you would think it if was a good charity it would be good to spread the word. Anywho, you didn't respond the 1st time, so I thought during your response your forgot. It's not a huge deal, I figured if you didn't want to say for strange reason that you would have said. Which you finally did now?

Does that answer your question? Oh, and I am very interested in charities, I guess you can't tell from reading my post. I just donated to these poor puppies that were born w/clife (sp) palates & couldn't eat. It was sooo sadThey were on our local newsite (WRAL). Animals needs charity too, but I also donate to nonprofits for humans. I hope to get in the nonprofit sector once I finish my masters in Public Admin. I am very interested in charities.....

Originally Posted by Carlene viewpost.gif

Oh, my God, Dotofoz......ME, a conservative? Bite your tongue. I'm a bleeding heart Liberal.

then why are you so anti choice?

Not everyone of any political persuasion has to agree 100% with everything it encompasses. That's why we have things like alternatives to straight party tickets.

And if you want to get nitty-gritty about it, the founding of the abortion movement (Ameican Birth Control League, circa 1920) is as anti-liberal as it gets, fundamentally speaking, because in its origin it was intended as a way to prevent lesser people from procreating. Lesser people then, of course, included Blacks, Italians, Jews, Slavs... some would call that genocide. Remember it was one of their founding members who proposed "The Negro Project" (written to forcibly sterilize young southern blacks, mostly born out of race hate, but loosely tied to the idea that fewer blacks = less welfare = more money for whites).

Most liberals support the right for a woman to choose what happens. Whether it's getting a tattoo or coloring her hair or having an abortion doesn't matter. It seems like a lot of people prefer to emphasis the actual abortion over the right to make a choice.

I'm about as liberal as you can get. Plot me on a chart and I guarantee I will be as bottom left as possible, surpassing most others with liberal perspectives. But a lot of liberals would be aghast with my beliefs around welfare. That doesn't mean I'm not a liberal.

I never thought asking someone about what charity they donated too was a personal question. I guess to each is own, but you would think it if was a good charity it would be good to spread the word. Anywho, you didn't respond the 1st time, so I thought during your response your forgot. It's not a huge deal, I figured if you didn't want to say for strange reason that you would have said. Which you finally did now?

Does that answer your question? Oh, and I am very interested in charities, I guess you can't tell from reading my post. I just donated to these poor puppies that were born w/clife (sp) palates & couldn't eat. It was sooo sadThey were on our local newsite (WRAL). Animals needs charity too, but I also donate to nonprofits for humans. I hope to get in the nonprofit sector once I finish my masters in Public Admin. I am very interested in charities.....

A lot of the charities I donate to are local ones and support women and children.

No, it's NOT a goofy concept. It's the way things SHOULD be, but aren't (unfortunately). My mother was a single mom who worked two jobs most of my life. My dad was an alcoholic who would show up every once in a while with some grand gesture - bicycles or a TV or something - but did not make regular child support payments. It was a tough life - for her and for us. But it wasn't my fault (or my brother's) that our dad didn't do the right thing. Fast forward to today. There are lots of deadbeat parents, no argument about that. But should we, as a society, punish their kids for that? If we don't provide for those children, who will?

Whatsoever you do for the least of mine, you do for me.

LOL, I think someone else posted this...

And if you want to get nitty-gritty about it, the founding of the abortion movement (Ameican Birth Control League, circa 1920) is as anti-liberal as it gets, fundamentally speaking, because in its origin it was intended as a way to prevent lesser people from procreating. Lesser people then, of course, included Blacks, Italians, Jews, Slavs... some would call that genocide. Remember it was one of their founding members who proposed "The Negro Project" (written to forcibly sterilize young southern blacks, mostly born out of race hate, but loosely tied to the idea that fewer blacks = less welfare = more money for whites).

Thanks for posting that, Wheetsin. The mentality still pervades. There is a big abortionist in CA who says he would set up a clinic for free in Mexico if it would stop all the illegals from having so many kids and bringing them into the US.

Most liberals support the right for a woman to choose what happens. Whether it's getting a tattoo or coloring her hair or having an abortion doesn't matter.

As a conservative/libertarian, I support a woman's right to choose anything she wants -- I have a problem with anti-prostitution laws, for example -- unless and until it involves another human being. That's where I become pro-life, because the baby is not her body.

I agree to a point with this. As an atheist and a firm believer in civil rights, I would certainly prefer that my taxes aren't given to some faith-based initiatives. But they are. It's part of being a tax-paying citizen. We don't necessarily get to choose where our tax dollars go.

Can you give an example?