Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stop having so many damn kids; population control, anyone?

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!!!!:welldone:

I would like to see some documentation regarding those figures. Big Girl lives, I believe, in Virginia, where food stamp benefits average 95 cents per person, per meal. For a family of 5 that would be less than $500.00 per month. I got the following information from the Virginia Interfaith web site. In addition, the VA Dept of Human Services says that only 54% of the state's residents eligible for food stamps actually receive benefits.

· Last year, 488,481 Virginians used food stamps to buy food every month. That amounts to 6.5 percent of the people in Virginia.

· Virginia food stamp households receive, on average, 0.95 cents per person per meal in food stamp benefits. This modest amount is crucial to financially pressed families.

· The Food Stamp Program pumped $499,708,150 into the Virginia economy last year, benefiting farmers, grocers, and small businesses throughout the state.

· About 80 percent of food stamp benefits go to households with children, many of them in working families. Most of the rest go to households containing elderly people or people with disabilities.

In Texas, food stamp benefits average approximately $150.00 per person, per month.

First off Carlene, the Va interfaith? Not gonna give the stats. I work in Social services closely as i have posted. I work everyday in the projects of one city. Keep in mind that part of DC (the rich part) is also in Va. So stats are very hard to read since they are skewed when you look at such a large picture. I am going by the sheet of eligible services in our community. We have 4 counties around us that do not integrate with us. We have no buses outside the city limits and they do not want our "problems" We have a very high amount of money going out. Families DO sell their ebt cards to dealers and then pay the 1.00 to get new ones.

I deal with this crap all day long. So you pulling some stats from some site while you live a few states away is not going to do anything to sway me

. I will gladly have one of the dealers ( who did time for two rapes) i am assigned to call you and tell you how he does it if you like. We are just a phone call away.....:welldone:

First off Carlene, the Va interfaith? Not gonna give the stats. I work in Social services closely as i have posted. I work everyday in the projects of one city. Keep in mind that part of DC (the rich part) is also in Va. So stats are very hard to read since they are skewed when you look at such a large picture. I am going by the sheet of eligible services in our community. We have 4 counties around us that do not integrate with us. We have no buses outside the city limits and they do not want our "problems" We have a very high amount of money going out. Families DO sell their ebt cards to dealers and then pay the 1.00 to get new ones.

I deal with this crap all day long. So you pulling some stats from some site while you live a few states away is not going to do anything to sway me

. I will gladly have one of the dealers ( who did time for two rapes) i am assigned to call you and tell you how he does it if you like. We are just a phone call away.....:welldone:

First of all, DC is not in Virginia. It is certainly nearby, but residents of DC do not qualify for benefits from the state of VA. (Incidentally, my DH's brother lived in Old Town until very recently and I have been there many times. Can't get much richer than that. But it's in Alexandria, VA - not DC.)

Secondly, state guidelines for food stamp benefits are not county-by-county. They are the same for everyone who lives in the state.

I, too, worked in social services for many years. I know that some parts of the state - any state - are far, far "richer" than others. I also know that people sell EBT cards, but that has no bearing on the state's proviso for food stamp beneficiaries. Please post your "sheet of eligible services", along with the source, and I will gladly apologize for my error. In the meantime I will see if I can find a source for my data, other than Virginia Interfaith. By the way, what do you have against them, exactly?

I worked on the TANF program for years. Although many were helped and found jobs, others still learned how to work the system. No one was ever really "kicked off" the program for non-compliance. If they decided to not show up for a employment classes, they were rescheduled. The idea is a great one, the problem is that you have "welfare families" that have grown up, generation after generation, on this system and know no other way. They would rather find a way to buck the system than to find a job and pay for themselves.

I wish i could joke about that. I find it aweful esp since so many of the children in our projects have weight issues and i know 5 women that have had the gastric bypass ala medicaid, none of them have ever worked. They all had lived in the projects for more then 20 years and they paid not one dollar for the procedure.

Children in the projects do not necessarily have weight issues because their families are being "overpaid" via food stamp benefits. Children in poor environments are often overweight because carbs (tortillas, bread, Pasta, potatoes) are cheaper than Protein and they help stretch the family's food budget.

Medicaid, like Medicare and most private insurance, will pay for surgery that is deemed "medically necessary". Medicaid patients who have WLS have to meet the same criteria as everyone else. And there are, please remember, people on this board whose surgery was paid for by Medicaid. Only your remarks aren't directed at THEM, right? Only those "other" people on Medicaid.

But all that aside, would you really trade your life for a free bypass surgery and 20 years in the projects? I wouldn't.

I worked on the TANF program for years. Although many were helped and found jobs, others still learned how to work the system. No one was ever really "kicked off" the program for non-compliance. If they decided to not show up for a employment classes, they were rescheduled. The idea is a great one, the problem is that you have "welfare families" that have grown up, generation after generation, on this system and know no other way. They would rather find a way to buck the system than to find a job and pay for themselves.

That is absolutely true. Unfortunately, there is no perfect system. But is that a good enough reason to pull the rug out from under the truly needy people - and there are MANY? Should we stop giving food stamps to everyone because some people abuse the program? Remember that 80% of the people nationwide who receive food stamps are children. Personally, I do not want to be responsible for voting that a child should go to bed hungry - not one single child. I would rather feed 10 who don't qualify.

First of all, DC is not in Virginia. It is certainly nearby, but residents of DC do not qualify for benefits from the state of VA. (Incidentally, my DH's brother lived in Old Town until very recently and I have been there many times. Can't get much richer than that. But it's in Alexandria, VA - not DC.)

Secondly, state guidelines for food stamp benefits are not county-by-county. They are the same for everyone who lives in the state.

I, too, worked in social services for many years. I know that some parts of the state - any state - are far, far "richer" than others. I also know that people sell EBT cards, but that has no bearing on the state's proviso for food stamp beneficiaries. Please post your "sheet of eligible services", along with the source, and I will gladly apologize for my error. In the meantime I will see if I can find a source for my data, other than Virginia Interfaith. By the way, what do you have against them, exactly?

OUr counties are the suburbs of dc and are considered part of DC although they do not go into DCs actual area (which is quite small) I am not stupid. And if you live in Old town ( my father lived there until a few years ago and my x still lives there... you consider yourself part of NOVA and DC) And Fairfax is just as rich as they are as well as Manassas...

I realize that the stats are statewide, but amounts in whole should be looked at for areas, not just in the state amount which skews the info.

I am aware you used to work for DSS, but it seems now you only sit on the computer all daya nd post all over LBT and try to discount and talk down to people to dumb them I guess?

If i get a chance in between the two jobs and grad school i will find the sheet i have and send it to you.

I am too busy to get into a pissing match with you. And I dont say that with anger or frustration., so dont get your big girl panties in a bunch.

And Va interfaith.....why there? I dont trust or give a lot of merit to statistics found on a website that has the word prayer and praying all over the front page, TO ME, it implies that it is already skewed information that is biased to what it is preaching. But that is just me.

Children in the projects do not necessarily have weight issues because their families are being "overpaid" via food stamp benefits. Children in poor environments are often overweight because carbs (tortillas, bread, Pasta, potatoes) are cheaper than Protein and they help stretch the family's food budget.

Medicaid, like Medicare and most private insurance, will pay for surgery that is deemed "medically necessary". Medicaid patients who have WLS have to meet the same criteria as everyone else. And there are, please remember, people on this board whose surgery was paid for by Medicaid. Only your remarks aren't directed at THEM, right? Only those "other" people on Medicaid.

But all that aside, would you really trade your life for a free bypass surgery and 20 years in the projects? I wouldn't.

I completely agree...That is sooooo true. I definitely don't want to live in the projects to get free food stamps and even the bypass surgery!!!

Whether there are people working the system or not there are plenty of people out there that truly need it. I would rather my tax $$ go towards that than some of the other stuff it goes towards. And from the statistics I have seen there is not a ton of $$ like some seem to think that goes towards welfare.

I would rather our money go to the schools where all the kids in the projects could get out of them. Our school system is terrible here.

I would rather that instead od bypass for folks who dont get the education on heathy eating to get training on feeding the families. They rely too much on cheap starches. Yes. i agree to that. There has to be better work on helping families get up and get out of the porjects. I realize that with the housing market it is difficult. Here everything, all the old apts are turning condo. We are facing a huge crisis for affordable housing.

And considering that we stay in the top 15 for homicide, it is a difficult place to live anyways for most struggling families. 4 men on my case load have been murdered in the last two years. Three had close family members murdered and 3 of my guys are currently up for murder charges themselves. Carlene...unless you have lived here and understand it then why are you defending it so? I dont tell you about your town do i?

I am aware you used to work for DSS, but it seems now you only sit on the computer all daya nd post all over LBT and try to discount and talk down to people to dumb them I guess?

I do not try and "discount" people, nor do I attempt to "dumb" them (whatever that means). I simply have a huge problem with people who post outrageous "facts" with no documentation to back them up. That, to me, is irresponsible. I would think that a person doing graduate work would appreciate that far more than the average person. None of my profs would ever have let me get by with that.

If i get a chance in between the two jobs and grad school i will find the sheet i have and send it to you.

I am too busy to get into a pissing match with you. And I dont say that with anger or frustration., so dont get your big girl panties in a bunch.

I forgot to mention that my panties are actually quite small now. Part of that I attribute to the fact that I don't "sit on the computer all day". I walk an average of 20 miles per week. And I am signing up for some great classes at the local community college - Line Dancing, Swim Fitness, and Dancercize. It's a huge value. If you are 55 (or older) you can take as many non-credit courses as you like for one $20.00 fee.

There is a definition of the true Christian Protestant religion that runs as a thread between say Methodists, Lutherans, Episcopals etc. These religions use only the Bible as the true word no other books and do not believe that good works will earn your place in heaven but by your accepting Christ death on the cross for our sins and your belief and desire to follow in his ways is how we get there, and then the good things will follow from there if you truly do follow in his ways.

It really does bother me that some groups go door to door and call their religion Christian and mis represent themselves to other unchurched people and have many false doctrines underneath that are not shared at the time nor are they part of other Christain church beliefs. Their God or Jesus is not the same God or Jesus that the Protestant Christians believe in or we would accept one anothers baptisms, which we don't, along with many other things that the Christian religion does not profess. I was just approached before Christmas by two young girls on my door step and we got into quite a discussion. No their relgion is not Christian by the true defintion and I wish they would not mis represent themselves to the world as such.

I would rather our money go to the schools where all the kids in the projects could get out of them. Our school system is terrible here.

I would rather that instead od bypass for folks who dont get the education on heathy eating to get training on feeding the families. They rely too much on cheap starches. Yes. i agree to that. There has to be better work on helping families get up and get out of the porjects. I realize that with the housing market it is difficult. Here everything, all the old apts are turning condo. We are facing a huge crisis for affordable housing.

And considering that we stay in the top 15 for homicide, it is a difficult place to live anyways for most struggling families. 4 men on my case load have been murdered in the last two years. Three had close family members murdered and 3 of my guys are currently up for murder charges themselves. Carlene...unless you have lived here and understand it then why are you defending it so? I dont tell you about your town do i?

Educating people on healthy eating doesn't always mean that they will eat healthy. I know how to eat healthy and I am getting the band. It's seems like w/more healthy stuff it does cost more. I don't make a ton of $$ and there are plenty of times I have had to go for the cheaper stuff to cut cost.

I agree w/you about education of course. I started to even state education as something I think it is exceptable, but I figured most would assume education as a positive. I was really thinking about stuff like the war.

Calene From the Dept website

1 p $155 monthly

2p $284

3p $408

4p $518

5p $615

6p $738

7p $816

8p $932

Now if you have more then one adult in the house and you have another address you can use you can make this amount more.

I was alittle off. a little over 100.00 .... sue me... it is still an enormous amount.

Now i am off to the projects. I have work to do.