Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stop having so many damn kids; population control, anyone?

has anyone noticed that the more education people have...the less they breed excessively?

What constitutes "excessively", in your opinion? Robert and Ethel Kennedy were both college graduates. They had, I think, 13 children before he was assassinated.

It's frustrating to see snooty attitudes about how dumb and stupid and uneducated and idiotic OTHER people are.

Um... is this referring to me? Funny... I've never thought of myself as "snooty".

Just wanted to clarify that when I was talking about "dumb" I was not talking about any one specific person, but rather the concept of having as many children as possible, because it is bad for the environment.

Secondly, while I find the statue offensive (standing and viewing it with my Jewish husband didn't help matters), I would absolutely defend that church's right to display it. It is a freedom of speech matter and I would never want to violate that. Therefore, I believe it's safe to say I'm not a "judgemental hypocrite".

Thirdly, I am confused as to why my post was taken as "disrespectful" of people's beliefs. I deeply respect everyone's beliefs, but I really don't want those beliefs informing my legislature. The statue says "America return to Christ". But not everyone in America believes in Christ, you know?

Next, I would like to point out that the only personal attacks on this thread have been directed at me from The Best Me, Not from me to anyone specific on this board, and so I think it's fair to state that I have not "scorned" anyone nor "attacked" anyone, as I have been accused of doing.

Finally, if anyone wants to start a thread about heathens who don't believe in Jesus going to hell, I would fully support that. Also, I would find it extraordinarily amusing.

Please note I am not "ridiculing" your beliefs, but the fact that I could inspire someone to state that I'm damned to hell just simply makes me giggle.

What constitutes "excessively", in your opinion? Robert and Ethel Kennedy were both college graduates. They had, I think, 13 children before he was assassinated.

Yes...and they had the education, the money, and the Kennedy family to insure that their children would be raised without want, raised with access to the best of higher education, and raised with a sense of responsibility to country and fellow man.

Can't say most breeders even take into account how they will pay for their many children's college educations... at least that is how I see it (especially in the SE region of the country (including Texas)...

Finally, if anyone wants to start a thread about heathens who don't believe in Jesus going to hell, I would fully support that.
*going to hell!* :wave:

:speechles:speechles:speechles:speechles:speechles:speechles:speechles

I have so much to say, but I'm really just speechless.

I have never seen so many judgmental people in one place, all proud of their judgmental-ness. Isn't this the same crowd who proclaimed that no one should have the right to tell gay couples they couldn't marry? Yet now you're proposing that you should be able to tell people how many children they should or shouldn't have? When really what you want to stop is "breeders", "fundies", "idiots", and any other derogatory names you can come up with for Christians?

(I guess if we wait long enough and those of you liberals who don't believe in having children don't procreate, we'll just outnumber you. Maybe that's our ultimate goal, anyway).

Well, I know my Mom, sister and all of the other southern goobers in my family are forever praying for my heathen soul....but I have to say..for all the pickin and talkin and judgein and lookin down on that they do....I'm thinkin that when their little 'judgement day' comes along....they are going to be in for a big surprise. I am quite happy with my little heathen 'live and let live' position...an I am thinkin that I'm OK w/the Big Guy...and I am not worried about the next step in the journey....

When really what you want to stop is "breeders", "fundies", "idiots", and any other derogatory names you can come up with for Christians?
First, "fundie" isn't derogatory. It is a shortened form of fundamentalist, which is an accepted term. Second, "breeder" isn't a derogatory term for Christians. It refers to people who have had children (i.e. they breed). It is debatable whether it is derogatory or not.

Personally, I think people should be able to choose how many children they have. But I also wonder how people with 15-20 children can sleep at night, since (in most cases) those kids have been essentially farmed out, whether it is to grandparents or to the older kids.

Yet now you're proposing that you should be able to tell people how many children they should or shouldn't have? When really what you want to stop is "breeders", "fundies", "idiots", and any other derogatory names you can come up with for Christians?

I have said this before, but I guess I have to say it again... no, I do not think I should be able to tell anyone how many children they should have. Rather, I wish that, on their own, people would be responsible enough to educate themselves about environmental issues and then choose a path that would assist in protecting the environment from its demise.

Why is this wish so threatening to those that disagree?

For the record, I have not called anyone here an idiot, a fundie, or a breeder.

All I did was state that having upwards of 20 children was a dumb idea for the environment, and say I was horrified by a statue that states we should unite America with Christianity.

My husband is Jewish and he does not believe in Jesus. But he's not supposed to be offended by that statue?

What about someone who is Muslim? or Hindu? What should they think about it?

I'll say it again: I support the right of that statue to be there even though I find it scary.

First, "fundie" isn't derogatory. It is a shortened form of fundamentalist, which is an accepted term. Second, "breeder" isn't a derogatory term for Christians. It refers to people who have had children (i.e. they breed). It is debatable whether it is derogatory or not.

Personally, I think people should be able to choose how many children they have. But I also wonder how people with 15-20 children can sleep at night, since (in most cases) those kids have been essentially farmed out, whether it is to grandparents or to the older kids.

I find "fundie" derogatory, especially when in a phrase like "wouldn't it screw with the fundies' heads". I'm sure you don't hold an esteemed opinion of fundamentalists. I also find "breeder" derogatory as it equates people with animals. And I think everyone reading this thread knows everyone with negative things to say is aiming them at Christians.

Further, I know a lot of families with a lot of kids. And they sleep fine. They don't "farm out" their children. The children are part of a family, and they all love and care for each other. I know plenty of "more educated people who have fewer kids" who truly do "farm out" their children to day care, public and/or private schools, after-school care, camps, and others. No one here seems to be criticizing them. Personally, I feel that kids who are part of a loving family unit develop better than those who are farmed out to people whose only reason to care for them is their paycheck.

For the record, I have not called anyone here an idiot, a fundie, or a breeder.

I'm sorry, wasn't it you who started this thread with

"Some of these idiots have 12, 18 and 20 kids.

Dumb, dumb, dumb."

My husband is Jewish and he does not believe in Jesus. But he's not supposed to be offended by that statue?

What about someone who is Muslim? or Hindu? What should they think about it?

I'll say it again: I support the right of that statue to be there even though I find it scary.

I never mentioned the statue. Quite frankly, the picture made me laugh, it seemed so ridiculous. And I'm not surprised it offends. I, too, support the right of people to erect it. But I certainly wouldn't pay for it!

I find "fundie" derogatory, especially when in a phrase like "wouldn't it screw with the fundies' heads". I'm sure you don't hold an esteemed opinion of fundamentalists.
You're right. I don't like fundamentalists, mainly because I have had very bad experiences with them. But I still didn't write "fundie" in a derogatory way. I don't know about you, but I get tired of typing. "Fundie" is much shorter than "fundamentalist." It isn't any different than saying "Dem" instead of "Democrat." If it makes you feel better, I'll rewrite it:
Wouldn't that screw with the fundamentalists' heads, knowing that their religious holiday was originally pagan?
And before you ask, yes, I like screwing with fundamentalists' heads. There isn't much better than having a rousing debate over evolution when one comes to the door, watching their faces turn red, and then watching them give up and stomp away. It's fun. I figure, it's what they are asking for by disturbing my privacy.

That's not to say that I am rude to them, though. I was raised to be nice and polite to everyone, no matter how much you disagree with them. I just don't budge from my beliefs, and you can bet I will be straightening out any misconceptions that they might have about atheists or evolution. I do have to say that the last group that knocked on my door were nicer than most, though. It was an older guy and a teenaged boy. They invited me to their church and asked if I was saved. I told them that I had gone to church every Sunday for 18 years and that I was now an atheist. All nice as you please. The boy was about to start arguing with me, but the older guy cut him off and thanked me for speaking with them. I don't mind people like that, who obviously realize that you attract more flies with honey than vinegar. There aren't too many people out there that will consider visiting your church if you start telling them their beliefs are wrong. I would be a lot more likely to visit their church than one of someone that told me I was going to hell.