Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Heart Attack Survivor Planning Bariatric Sugery

Hi Everyone,

I am a 45yr old female who had a heart attack 2 years ago. My LAD was 100% occluded and was treated with a drug eluding stent. The cardiologist thinks my heart attack was from stress. I do not have a history of high blood pressure, high collesterol or diabetes.

My heart has made a full recovery and my cardiologist has given his blessing to my having bariatric surgery.

After my heart attack I was on Effient and asprin for a year and half, then Plavix and asprin for 6 month. I now only on baby asprin for blood thining. I also take medicine for blood pressure and colesterol even though those are not elevated.

I am wondering if there is anyone out there who has had bariatric surgery after surviving a heart attack. My cardiologist thinks having the surgery is a great idea for me, but I would like to possibly hear other peoples experiences.

I had heart failure when I delivered my daughter almost 9 years ago, I later found out that it was caused by rheumatic fever as a child. All my doctors feel this would be the best next step for me. I am struggling to get this weight off. I am scared that I might go into heart failure again with this surgery but I feel that this is where I will be successful! I have tried many things and am continuing to learning new things and am working on creating an active life. So on the 19th I go!

I am 40 years old, cw270 GW150

Butterfly, I am so excited for you to get you surgery. Only 17 days to go! I have my psych eval on 04/16/13, then off to the insurance for approval. Not sure how long my carrier takes with the approval process, but I'm hoping to get my procedure in May. I will be rooting for you!!

Thank you so much! I am really excited for this change! I am trying the preop diet of Protein Shakes and greens. When is your surgery?

I don't have a surgery date yet. I have my psych eval on 04/16/13. That is the last thing I needed to do. Then they will send a request of authorization to my insurance company. I assume I will get a surgery date after they approve it. Hoping for May.

Any date yet?

Hi Butterfly. I still do not have a surgery date, but I have now completed all my pre-surgery junk. The docs office called today and they have all the paperwork ready to send to the insurance company. They say is usually takes 2 to 6 weeks for approval. I will get a surgery date as soon and the insurance says ok.

Did you have your surgery? I am so excited for you. I know you will do great. This is a wonderful thing to do for yourself. Women always put everyone else first. Now we can put ourselves first!

Hello uccmart,

I am currently 51 years old, had my heart attack at age 46. Probably stress induced but I was a 2 pack a day smoker and 50 lbs overweight at that time. I also had high cholesterol and was insulin resistant. They put in 2 stents, told me to quit smoking (which I did), go exercise and enjoy life. Over the next 3 years I managed to put on another 50 lbs and found myself with full fledged diabetes.

I was desperate to lose the weight and regain my health. So while researching the band I ran into this new surgery called a VST. I could have qualified with my insurance with my comorbidities, but after you have a heart attack they jack up your insurance premiums sky high and your forced to the go to a super high deductible . So for me the only choice was to have my surgery in Mexico.

I hade my surgery the day after my 51st birthday (October 8, 2012). It was the BEST present I've ever given myself. I am 6 months out, down 90 lbs from my highest weight and off all diabetic medication. I feel like a new women. This surgery added years to my life and life to my years.

If you have any other questions you can PM me, and good luck with your decision.