Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In Desperate Need Of Help

Hello...my name is Rochelle and i'm 25 from Ms. Im married without children but desire to have some one day! I know some people may jokingly say Ive been fat all of my life but in reality I have. Every since I was young Ive been pleasantly plump. I have always been an outgoing and sociable person so my friends and classmates really didnt see me depressed in public...but many days and nights I cried myself to sleep. Finding clothes and fitting into tight spaces is the story of my life. Eventhough I am obese ive never really had health issues until recently. A few months ago I had a family member pass away at 32yrs old from a heart attack...and thats when I knew I had to do something!!! I am just beginning this process. I am excited yet nervous but I am willing and dedicated to making a lifestyle change to ensure that im around with my husband and family for years to come!!! Im soo glad I found this group because Ive shared the idea of weightloss surgery with my immediately family and because they are not open-minded Im faced with negativity (which is making things worse). On the other hand my husband is being very supportive and with God/prayer Im sure ill be fine!!! So far I've had an EGD, Lung Consult, and Heart Consult...The only appointment I have left is a Sleep Study!!! So now i'm waiting for approval from my insurance company...its been 2 weeks so I should hear something soon hopefully!!! Keep your fingers crossed!!!

Hello...my name is Rochelle and i'm 25 from Ms. Im married without children but desire to have some one day! I know some people may jokingly say Ive been fat all of my life but in reality I have. Every since I was young Ive been pleasantly plump. I have always been an outgoing and sociable person so my friends and classmates really didnt see me depressed in public...but many days and nights I cried myself to sleep. Finding clothes and fitting into tight spaces is the story of my life. Eventhough I am obese ive never really had health issues until recently. A few months ago I had a family member pass away at 32yrs old from a heart attack...and thats when I knew I had to do something!!! I am just beginning this process. I am excited yet nervous but I am willing and dedicated to making a lifestyle change to ensure that im around with my husband and family for years to come!!! Im soo glad I found this group because Ive shared the idea of weightloss surgery with my immediately family and because they are not open-minded Im faced with negativity (which is making things worse). On the other hand my husband is being very supportive and with God/prayer Im sure ill be fine!!! So far I've had an EGD' date=' Lung Consult, and Heart Consult...The only appointment I have left is a sleep Study!!! So now i'm waiting for approval from my insurance company...its been 2 weeks so I should hear something soon hopefully!!! Keep your fingers crossed!!![/quote']

Hi Rochelle! Welcome! I am 29 an was sleeved on Jan10,2013. I have lost 42lbs and am glad I took this journey. My goal is to have children one day and be healthy before and after having them. I'm glad your husband is supportive. Once your family sees you get healthy and happy they will come around. Do what you have to make yourself healthy. Like you said, not having this surgery could be more risky for your health.

I'm here if you need anything. I'm new to the surgery but I had Lapband prior to this and have also been overweight my entire life. So, I feel you. Good luck and stay positive!

You have researched this and are well informed. You have the support of your husband which is crucial especially during recovery. That is all that matters!! Go you! Put yourself first and you will reach your goal and the sleeve has been a wonderful tool for me! I am almost 2 months out from surgery and have lost 55 lbs. best decision I ever made! Good luck to you!!

Hi....and thanks for the encouragement!!! Im just ready to have my second chance at life!!! Congrats on the weight loss...hopefully ill have my surgery before the end of April...I have to do a 2 week pre op liquid diet....were you required to do that and if so would you share your experience??? Thanks

Hi Rochelle, welcome to the forums. I know how happy I was to find this group of people. There is so much knowledge and support here.

It sounds like you have made an excellent start to your journey, just keep putting one foot in front of the other and don't listen to those naysayers. They are like crabs in a bucket, pulling anyone back down who wants to get out.

I just had my surgery on Thursday, I feel wonderful and am already excited about my new life. Can't wait for you to join us on the "losers bench"!

Preop diet is pretty standard. Some doctors vary the length of time depending on your starting weight. Mine is a protien shake/meal replacement for Breakfast and one for lunch and lean Protein plus salad for dinner. I use the Optifast products for my Meal Replacements. The only issue I have is at times I'm dizzy/faint or just feel low energy. I'm usually fine if I increase my Water intake. Also not hungry much but when I am I take Fiber tablets which help me feel full.

Yes two weeks on full liquids with the two days before surgery I had to change to Clear Liquids. It was rough at first but I got used to it and kept my eye on the surgery date. Swan sons chicken broth and beef broth taste really good to me. sugar free Popsicles especially the tropical flavors were a godsend. Cream Soups during the full liquid stage too are good. The time will go fast!

I didn't have to do a liquid diet just a diet and diet class and lose 10% of my weight. I kind of wish I had to do the liquid diet because once I was sleeved the liquid phase was such a shock to me. Rochelle if you choose the sleeve just know the first two weeks of recovery are hard emotionally but it passes. You will be happy once you are recovered. I know I am. And now you have us! Did you add the app to your phone? It's my daily check routine on my phone. Always something new to learn or motivation

Thanks everyone for your responses...Im looking forward to joining the losers bench too!!! Lol but I know this pre-op diet is going to take a few days to get adjusted to but im pretty sure Ill do fine!!! After 25yrs of eating all kinds of junk surely 2wks of limitations won't kill me lol!!! But thanks again everyone for the encouragement it really feels great to know that im not in this alone and that there are other people who are going through the same things!!!

I didn't have to do a liquid diet just a diet and diet class and lose 10% of my weight. I kind of wish I had to do the liquid diet because once I was sleeved the liquid phase was such a shock to me. Rochelle if you choose the sleeve just know the first two weeks of recovery are hard emotionally but it passes. You will be happy once you are recovered. I know I am. And now you have us! Did you add the app to your phone? It's my daily check routine on my phone. Always something new to learn or motivation

Yes I added the app which is pretty cool since im constantly on my phone or my tablet!!! Well if anything I kinda scared of the different emotions that will come...I know its going to be hard and I seen several people say that within the first few days after surgery they had buyer's remorse but it subsided...I dont want my husband to think im psycho with all the mood swings so we've been having conversations about what's to come! And on a positive note I have all of you to help keep me motivated!!! :-)

Thanks everyone for your responses...Im looking forward to joining the losers bench too!!! Lol but I know this pre-op diet is going to take a few days to get adjusted to but im pretty sure Ill do fine!!! After 25yrs of eating all kinds of junk surely 2wks of limitations won't kill me lol!!! But thanks again everyone for the encouragement it really feels great to know that im not in this alone and that there are other people who are going through the same things!!!

I love your attitude about the diet. It is easy to focus negatively on the diet and some do, but two weeks isn't even a blip on the timeline of life. You'll do well.

Im knew to the surgery im 2weeks post op vsg had it done 3-19-13 and so far I dont regret this journey im taking.. I too had people around me that were negative towards this procedure but I have 2kids and I made this decision because of them I want to be around for a long time if god permitts.. All you need is your husbands support and you have it so dont be afraid about what your family says.. Good luck on your journey hope everything goes well <3