Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

Lap,

Thanks for the info from that book. i have it on order at the library, but it hasn't come in yet.

Brandy,

What a cute puppy- my vote is for oakley, that's a cool name for a dog.

If you guys do decide on a red robin night, please let me know when and where, would love to meet you all.

I went to employee health today to follow up again on my back injury for my nursing job that happened in June. They still will not release me back to work. It was all I could do to restrain myself from picking up that twig of a doctor to prove that yes, I am now capable of lifting 50 pounds. Now I have to go back next week for a PT eval, and then yet another OCC healt visit to review the results. And won't this be fun to be downtown during the DNC too. Aggravation! Thank heavens this is only PRN, not my full time job.

My PB's have never been "pinkish goo" they are more a neatly encased cocoon of whatever did not go down, is this wierd?

Mine aren't pinkish goo either...like you said, whatever didn't go down encased in some clear mucous.

Which leads me to my next topic....as I suspected, my fill is waaaaaay too tight. I can't hardly even eat Soup or pudding. Going in for an unfill today at 1. Grrrrr......

So I was so frustrated about my fill not working after less than 48 hours I was worried that something was wrong. So I called Dr. K's office and talked to Tom about it. He explained to me that there are several reasons why I'm not feeling restricted now. He said that it could be because my TOM(supposed to have started the day of my fill) may have me bloated. Or that my swelling from the surgery is still going down. He said he is surprised that my fill only restricted for that long too, so it wasn't just me. But I noticed that later last night it was helping more. But I am probably just having yo-yo bloating. I am going to try and get back to Denver sometime before Labor Day. But one good thing is the scale has started to go down again. Finally.

I don't think I'll ever get really caught up, so I'm just going to jump in here with some random responses.

Marie -- I'm yo-yo'ing with my last fill (#4), too. I had a sweet spot after fill 3 but this one just isn't as consistent. Wish I had a good answer for both of us -- sure is frustrating!

I like the puppy name "Oakley" -- sounds close to Barkley.

I think a job at Starbucks would be wonderful!!

I want a tree house!

Lap -- Even though there's so much going on with your spine, sounds like you've got a good plan in place. Keep moving forward -- next August this will all be behind you and you'll be doing all of those actvities you dream of!

WHERE IS MAL???? I don't think she's ever been away for this long!

Dee -- I'm still eating my oats! But I've had some red meat a couple of times :wink2:. Hope you're doing ok. Keep looking until you get to a good fit. I have one now who's great, but I sure have had some tools in the past.

Anybody heard from Deb since surgery? Or did she post and I've missed it??

Bella -- I'm a nicotine addict, too. Not smoking for several years (though I did have a lapse earlier this year), but at my worst I would rather smoke than eat or have sex (if that gives you any indication of how bad I am with nicotine). Take it one day at a time, find something else to do with your hands, drink water/walk and talk to your MD about some Nicotine replacement therapy. Be careful of the ones that put Nicotine back in your mouth (like gum or lozenges); it's very easy to transfer the addiction over to those. I had several patients have success with Chantix, but I think the FDA has put a new black box warning out about that one. But talk with your doc. I think we've had some discussion about Chantix in this thread before. Hang in there; I can really relate on this one and I'm sending you lots of smoke-free positive thoughts!

More later. Love to all and happy weekend everyone!!!!!!!!

Lap ~ I own Dr. Ortiz's book -- I bought it in 2005 when I first started learning about lapband surgery -- and I still refer to it on occasion. There's a lot of good information in there. I even considered going down there to have surgery but I am glad that I went with Dr. K of course!

Bookholder ~ My PBs are never "pinkish goo" either, more like you describe. A glob of whatever got stuck, and lots of slime. Ew. :P

ShelbiCallie ~ I don't think that the FDA has actually issued a black box warning for Chantix just yet (I recently wrote an article on drug side effects and I don't recall seeing it) but lots of medical professionals, consumer groups, etc are advocating it. My mother wanted to go on it -- she has been told to quit smoking but hasn't managed to -- but her doctor refused because she has a long history of depression and is bi-polar.

TGIF everybody! I have a family lunch tomorrow, a big source of anxiety for me. Eating in front of them has always been nerve-wracking. Since I was banded, it's even more so. The question in my mind every time I see them is, will they notice the weight loss? If they notice, will they say anything? If they say anything, what will I say in return? And of course I have to really focus myself so that I eat properly while still participating in the conversation. :eek:

Mine aren't pinkish goo either...like you said, whatever didn't go down encased in some clear mucous.

Which leads me to my next topic....as I suspected, my fill is waaaaaay too tight. I can't hardly even eat Soup or pudding. Going in for an unfill today at 1. Grrrrr......

Mine aren't pink either. More like big mucous bubble with some gunk in it.

I hope you're unfill does the trick. Let us know.

Love your ticker. Don't think I'll ever get past the green ones. I have a skin apron that hangs from the bottom. Thank you very much, 2

c-sections!

Lap ~ I own Dr. Ortiz's book -- I bought it in 2005 when I first started learning about lapband surgery -- and I still refer to it on occasion. There's a lot of good information in there. I even considered going down there to have surgery but I am glad that I went with Dr. K of course!

Bookholder ~ My PBs are never "pinkish goo" either, more like you describe. A glob of whatever got stuck, and lots of slime. Ew. :P

ShelbiCallie ~ I don't think that the FDA has actually issued a black box warning for Chantix just yet (I recently wrote an article on drug side effects and I don't recall seeing it) but lots of medical professionals, consumer groups, etc are advocating it. My mother wanted to go on it -- she has been told to quit smoking but hasn't managed to -- but her doctor refused because she has a long history of depression and is bi-polar.

TGIF everybody! I have a family lunch tomorrow, a big source of anxiety for me. Eating in front of them has always been nerve-wracking. Since I was banded, it's even more so. The question in my mind every time I see them is, will they notice the weight loss? If they notice, will they say anything? If they say anything, what will I say in return? And of course I have to really focus myself so that I eat properly while still participating in the conversation. :eek:

Green -- I'll be thinking of your tomorrow. Extended family meals are always a huge source of anxiety for me too! Ours have been more of the walk-around-with-a-plate variety and no one noticed what I ate in the beginning. As I lost more, and folks began to notice, I'd just say I was eating less, exercising more and trying to stick with healthy foods. All true. Whenever someone in the family brings my weight loss up, I try to express appreciation and then get off the subject as quickly as possible. Very few family members know I'm banded and so far those who know have respected my privacy. I have several sisters, and to be frank, only one I would trust with my emotions and the others I don't. So when several of them wanted to get together a few weekends ago for a "sister weekend", I had to beg off. It would have ended up being toxic for me. I've worked hard to get where I am emotionally and physically right now and I don't want to go back to where I was -- needing the approval of people who will never give it to me.

Anyway, I just wanted you to know that I feel you on this. You're doing a great job. Take a deep breath and hold you're head up. I'm proud of you for facing this anxiety-ridden situation. Don't let anyone take your power away. You only need approval from YOU. (And you've got admiration from ME, for what it's worth!)

Big Hugs,

Shel

Thanks for the hugs, Shel, and the kind words. I really appreciate it and it's nice to know I am not the only one in situation. :P I'm pretty sure that's how I will handle it as well, should it come up. You are absolutely right, they cannot have power over me any longer.

Hey Banditos,

It's me! I know I have been MIA for a while. My computer is sick, sick, sick! I have had someone out twice and it still has some major virus..yuck!

Hi shelbie!

I like the name Snickers...yumm, I could go for one too

Lap sorry to read about your back problems, how did your strength training go?

Life, your marathon sounded intense! Hope your shoulder is feeling better. I am so proud of your accomplishments, go get 'em!

I am a Chantex success story. I have been smoke free for 8 months and have no craving for them at all, even when I am around others that are smoking. I actually hate the idea and the smell of it now. It did mess with my head for a while. My husband...not such a success story. He quit for about 7 months and recently he has started to smoke again...boo for him, yay for me!

My band...hummm, I found out that I have like 10.3 in my 10VG. My restriction is like it always has been, here then gone, here then gone...I haven't lost any weight FOREVER!! I lose and gain the same few pounds, been that way for MONTHS! If I could just eat LESS...hummm go figure? I run and weight train every other day and walk on on my off days, still no weight loss. I understand that muscle weighs more, but DAYAM, how much muscle can one gain???...LOL I just need to eat less that is the bottom line! Why can't I???

My son's friend is not doing well. Still in ICU, got pnemonia and a collapsed lung. The docs put him in a medicated coma. We can't really get a lot of info on what is happening because only family can see him and we don't want to bother the family. Last I heard he was paralyzed from the nipple line down with limited mobility at his elbows and shoulders.

Deb, how are ya'?

Denver, your time is coming so soon! How is the preop diet going?

I'll post when I can

cheers

Green -- I'll be thinking of your tomorrow. Extended family meals are always a huge source of anxiety for me too! Ours have been more of the walk-around-with-a-plate variety and no one noticed what I ate in the beginning. As I lost more, and folks began to notice, I'd just say I was eating less, exercising more and trying to stick with healthy foods. All true. Whenever someone in the family brings my weight loss up, I try to express appreciation and then get off the subject as quickly as possible. Very few family members know I'm banded and so far those who know have respected my privacy. I have several sisters, and to be frank, only one I would trust with my emotions and the others I don't. So when several of them wanted to get together a few weekends ago for a "sister weekend", I had to beg off. It would have ended up being toxic for me. I've worked hard to get where I am emotionally and physically right now and I don't want to go back to where I was -- needing the approval of people who will never give it to me.

Shel

Wow this is fantastic advice. A great way to navigate those situations too. Thanks for posting this and for sharing so openly.

Thanks so much for the advice. I have only bought one pack and I still have some after a week. I think it will be a little easier to put them down this time.

How is the followup care with Dr. K? How long does he continue monitoring or treating his patients after surgery. Is it hard to get fill appointments, etc.? I have heard nothing but great things about him and his staff, just wanted to get more feedback from the experts.

Thanks.

Wow this is fantastic advice. A great way to navigate those situations too. Thanks for posting this and for sharing so openly.

Patty -- I hope you realize that I have learned so much about setting boundaries, identifying toxic situations and healing myself physically and emotionally from you. It is I who should be thanking you for sharing your openess and experiences with me!

Thanks so much for the advice. I have only bought one pack and I still have some after a week. I think it will be a little easier to put them down this time.

That's great Bella! Sounds like this is just a minor blip that you'll deal with easily.

How is the followup care with Dr. K? How long does he continue monitoring or treating his patients after surgery. Is it hard to get fill appointments, etc.? I have heard nothing but great things about him and his staff, just wanted to get more feedback from the experts.

Thanks.

I'm not local so Dr. K isn't my aftercare doc, but I copied this from his website "follow-up care and adjustments at no charge for 3 months- After the 3 months the charge for adjustments is $15.00." From the others on this thread I've learned that he has a PA, Tom, who also does fills. I'm almost 1 year out and I wouldn't hesitate to call Dr. K or Natalie if I had a question or concern; I feel like I will always have them as a follow up resource even though they are 2 time zones away. Maybe one of the locals will jump in with better info for you. Anyway, I just wanted to welcome you aboard!

:tt2::tt2::tt2::tt2:Well, I am home from Denver! Surgery went fine, except my pulse went down to 33 so they had to jump me with some drug. I feel great. Out of hospital at 5, up next morning and at Dr. K's at 9, on the plane at 2, and home by 5. No real pain, just some pangs at incision sites and the ever-popular gas that moves around in one's chest cavity!

What a great bunch of people Dr K has working for/with him. :thumbup: And he is absolutely darling. I was sooooo comfortable that I am going to fly to Denver in September for one day for a fill. My question is, could anyone pick me up at airport and take me to Aurora clinic? I am coming in on a thurs. or friday morning. Probably be the third or fourth week in Sept. Any takers??

Mini: I AM ON THE LOSERS' BENCH FINALLY:lol::sad::angry::tt1::tt1:

My mom is on a great high about this; says I sound more positive and up than I have in a while!!

I didn't get a chance to read all the entries as I am still trying to figure out how to work the pill crusher:tongue2: Remember, I am an English teacher, not someone who works well with "stuff":biggrin2:

:tt2::tt2::tt2::tt2:Well, I am home from Denver! Surgery went fine, except my pulse went down to 33 so they had to jump me with some drug. I feel great. Out of hospital at 5, up next morning and at Dr. K's at 9, on the plane at 2, and home by 5. No real pain, just some pangs at incision sites and the ever-popular gas that moves around in one's chest cavity!

What a great bunch of people Dr K has working for/with him. :tt2: And he is absolutely darling. I was sooooo comfortable that I am going to fly to Denver in September for one day for a fill. My question is, could anyone pick me up at airport and take me to Aurora clinic? I am coming in on a thurs. or friday morning. Probably be the third or fourth week in Sept. Any takers??

Mini: I AM ON THE LOSERS' BENCH FINALLY:lol::tt1::angry::tt2::tt1:

My mom is on a great high about this; says I sound more positive and up than I have in a while!!

I didn't get a chance to read all the entries as I am still trying to figure out how to work the pill crusher:tongue2: Remember, I am an English teacher, not someone who works well with "stuff":biggrin2:

YAY DEB!!!!!!!

Glad you're home safe and sound and are now sitting proudly on the loser's bench!!! (You've got to watch out for Mini on the bench -- she elbows everyone. And Dee? Can't play nice for a second! :sad: They try to blame me, but it's THEM I tell ya; it's THEM. I'm the golden child.:thumbup:)

Aren't Dr. K and co. just the best?!!