Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

Hey Marcy, I watched that show too (it was "My Shocking Story: Too Young to be So Fat" or something along those lines). The mother of that 13-year-old girl infuriated me. When she made steak and salad, the daughter kept saying that the salad was "gross" and gagged on eating a Tomato. And they showed her mother in the car saying, "It isn't my fault...it just is what it is." Really? You obviously never taught her to eat healthy. Why would you think that it was a good idea to take your obese daughter to Vegas on vacation and hit up the buffets? And I never would've thought of Lipo as a weight-loss surgery. They made no mention of whether she had tried medically supervised diets or any other kind of help. The child just said "diets don't work for me." I'm sure they don't, if you can't manage to eat fresh vegetables.

The other two profiles were much better -- two teenage boys who were attending a residential school for obese kids called the Academy of the Sierras. I had no idea that such a thing existed, but it looked great. They were taught how to eat properly and exercise as well as getting in their curriculum.

OK, there's my rant. :tt1:

In other news, I'm on day three of the pre-op diet and it's going pretty well. I stressed out yesterday because I had a lunch meeting, but I just got a salad (with lettuce, cucumber, olives, eggs, cheese, vinegar & oil). It was at an AYC buffet so there were so many yummy-looking things that I had to avoid. But I did it. I can do this! :confused:

Hey Marcy, I watched that show too (it was "My Shocking Story: Too Young to be So Fat" or something along those lines). The mother of that 13-year-old girl infuriated me. When she made steak and salad, the daughter kept saying that the salad was "gross" and gagged on eating a Tomato. And they showed her mother in the car saying, "It isn't my fault...it just is what it is." Really? You obviously never taught her to eat healthy. Why would you think that it was a good idea to take your obese daughter to Vegas on vacation and hit up the buffets? And I never would've thought of Lipo as a weight-loss surgery. They made no mention of whether she had tried medically supervised diets or any other kind of help. The child just said "diets don't work for me." I'm sure they don't, if you can't manage to eat fresh vegetables.

The other two profiles were much better -- two teenage boys who were attending a residential school for obese kids called the Academy of the Sierras. I had no idea that such a thing existed, but it looked great. They were taught how to eat properly and exercise as well as getting in their curriculum.

OK, there's my rant. :smile:

In other news, I'm on day three of the pre-op diet and it's going pretty well. I stressed out yesterday because I had a lunch meeting, but I just got a salad (with lettuce, cucumber, olives, eggs, cheese, vinegar & oil). It was at an AYC buffet so there were so many yummy-looking things that I had to avoid. But I did it. I can do this! :biggrin:

Virid,

What does your name mean?

I just thought, I'd ask.

Congrats on sticking to the pre-op diet yesterday! I know from experience how difficult that must have been. I have to tell you, I was supposed to go to a luncheon at my work for employees. They do them every quarter as a way to communicate changes and get feedback from employees. It's a nice idea and they always serve the best lunch. Well, I was reserved to attend one day during my pre-op diet. I went and saw what they were serving and I left. There was no way, I'd be able to stick to my diet and sit in that luncheon while everyone enjoyed Cheesy Lasgna and garlic bread. I just didn't feel strong enough that day. You know how some days you feel stronger than others! So I appauld you!!!

8 Days Left! Wow! So you'll be banded next Thursday? The time will fly! I can't believe I'm already 8 days past my surgery!

I didn't watch that show you're talking about, but my daughter did and she was telling me about it. She was disgusted! Why do you think that parents feel it is okay to allow their children to overeat? In fact, so many of them encourage that behavior not by modeling, but by condoning it. I see it all of the time. Especially here in Highlands Ranch. There are these absolutely stunning Mom's, slim, and very attractive with these little obese children. The Mom is eating a small side salad and the kids are eating huge platters of food. Is it people just not being aware of how quickly bad habits can happen and once they do happen how difficult overeating is to change? Or is it that parents just want to please their kids nowdays and just can't say, "no...?" Then you see the other side of the coin. We were at Jamba juice yesterday and there was a Mom, her very tall and skinny athletic looking teen-age daughter and her daughter's friend. The daughter ordered a small smoothie and asked for a Protein scoop. The Mom in a very loud voice said, "oh no! you are not eating more protein today! do you want to be fat? you are going to be fat if you eat more protein today!" She continued to belittle the girl and say things about gaining weight and getting fat. She then said, "get an energizer if you want to add somthing" Then a man behind me said, "Ma'am, I hate to interupt, but too much energizer isn't good for her health." I wanted so bad to say, "Excuse me, but you remind me of my Mom, that's exactly how she treated me on a daily basis when I was a teen-ager too - and look at me now." But I figured she'd say something like, "well obviously you didn't listen to your mom."

Life goes on....

I'm so glad I'm not a teen-ager anymore!

see ya,

dee~

Hey Dee,

"Viridescence" basically means "greenish quality". Green is my absolute favorite color, and when I wanted to find an online ID that didn't consist of some variation of my real name, I had to get pretty creative. :biggrin:

Thank you! I did go online and find out what kind of stuff would be at the buffet before I went. I was thinking of eating my lunch before and going, but I don't think I'm strong enough to be the only person not eating. Not yet, anyway. It didn't help that the person I walked to and from with took a handful of Cookies "for the road," but I just looked the other way.

Yep, I'm a Valentine's Day bandster. I am so freaking excited. Congrats on being over a week out!

Seriously, it just annoys me to no end that parents can be like that. Probably because my own parents are less than educated about healthy eating and weren't the slightest bit supportive or understanding of my own weight struggles. But hey, I'm an adult now and I'm taking charge of my own health. And I'll try my damndest not to repeat those mistakes when I have kids, because I've been there. We'll see...:smile:

Was everyone here a last resort? For me, it was avoiding a total knee replacement or cartilage transplant...just curious...

CANT WAIT TO MEET EVERYONE TOMORROW NIGHT!!!!

Has anyone been frustrated at the fact that they cant get in for a fill with Dr. K? I love him and his staff, but it is so aggrivating!!! I just want another .5cc put in, I don't have questions or anything...they have zero opening until the end of the 1st week of March!!! Sorry for the rant, but I am desperately trying to get restriction and can't get there with out month long waits! ACK!!!

Sorry if I offended anyone, but it is just hard to know that I have to keep using all this will power for another month and not let my "tool" help me!!

Was everyone here a last resort? For me, it was avoiding a total knee replacement or cartilage transplant...just curious...

CANT WAIT TO MEET EVERYONE TOMORROW NIGHT!!!!

Good Morning Brandy!

That's a good question.

I have to say it was a last resort for me.

I always denied the need or desire for WLS. Not once in the previous years did I ever imagine myself with WLS... until... last March.

I went to my OB/GYN and she mentioned it in a not so gentle manner. She said, "You're in your 40's, you have pre-diabetes, high choloesterol and arthritis in your knees. And she was horrified with my swollen ankles resulting from dependent edema. My response to her was, "I've been this way for 17 years." Those words haunted me for weeks after. My words, not hers. 17 years - I've tortured my poor body this way?

That doesn't mean that for 17 years, I haven't tried Weight Watchers 5 different times - losing over 80lbs at one time. I had tried every other diet out there, South Beach, You on a Diet, Low Fat, Vegan etc etc etc. So the end of March, I started another diet. I lost weight, a good amount of weight, I then went on vacation in July and strayed from my diet gaining my weight back and not being able to get back on track. October was the cut-off for me. If I didn't lose and maintain by October, I decided I would research WLS. The Lap Band sounded the best for me. My fasting blood sugars have been less than 90 every morning since starting my pre-op diet, I've stopped my Metformin (my periods will suffer, I'm sure!) My knee is killing me, but I'm hoping that will improve with weight loss.

My bestfriend has severe arthritis and was told by her Orthopod that if she had WLS (she's about 80lbs overweight) she would improve. He told her that 70% of people who need a joint replacement, can totally avoid it and resolve many of their symptoms by losing a significant amount of weight. She's impressed by those stats.

Good Luck Brandy, how are your knees doing now?

Can't wait to see you tomorrow night at RR.

Take care,

dee~

Hey Dee~

My knees are feeling better, although not where I want them. I was also told by ortho, that to avoid this, lose weight. I was in a total catch 22. To lose, I needed to work out, but I couldn't because of my knees. It was a vicious cycle. I am 32 and was told that they will only do 3 knees in a lifetime. Well, that is not good odds for me. I was imagining myself at 70 in a wheel chair, because I used up all my knees! Now, I know that I was fat (try having your 5 year old son, come up from behind you at Wal-Mart, on a Saturday no less, and start shaking your bootie and singing "I like big butts and I cannot lie...") and did try several diets in the past 3 years. Everything. But my main factor was my knee.

I am down 31 pounds, and have been to the gym several times. I am able to do the bike, elliptical and treadmill. I am doing 40-60 minutes cardio and then 2-3 days a week with weights. I am hoping that will jump start my weight loss again. I seem to be at a stand still.

Hey Dee,

"Viridescence" basically means "greenish quality". Green is my absolute favorite color, and when I wanted to find an online ID that didn't consist of some variation of my real name, I had to get pretty creative. :biggrin:

Thank you! I did go online and find out what kind of stuff would be at the buffet before I went. I was thinking of eating my lunch before and going, but I don't think I'm strong enough to be the only person not eating. Not yet, anyway. It didn't help that the person I walked to and from with took a handful of Cookies "for the road," but I just looked the other way.

Yep, I'm a Valentine's Day bandster. I am so freaking excited. Congrats on being over a week out!

Seriously, it just annoys me to no end that parents can be like that. Probably because my own parents are less than educated about healthy eating and weren't the slightest bit supportive or understanding of my own weight struggles. But hey, I'm an adult now and I'm taking charge of my own health. And I'll try my damndest not to repeat those mistakes when I have kids, because I've been there. We'll see...:smile:

Virid, What a great way to Be Your Valentine! Getting the Band! Wow! That's great! GREEN is my absolute favorite color too! I have always loved green!

I know what you mean about parents being uneducated. The funny thing is that I was raised in a very healthy environment as far as food was concerned. It was extremely dysfunctional in a 100 different ways, but we were taught how to eat healthy. Even as an obese person, I ate healthy. I never exercised and I ate at the wrong time and larger than normal amts, but I ate well.

There was a show on TV last week sometime. I'm not sure if it was Dateline or 20/20, but it was about a 5 year old girl who weighs 105lbs. It was very sad, but what was the saddest to me was the fact that no one had educated this Mom on healthy eating. In her basket at the store, she had white bread, boxed mac and cheese, and all kinds of junk food. Supposedly, they are trying to work with this family to help her, but she needed someone to help her understand healthy eating. She has an older son and he is allowed to snack on junk in front of the 5 year old and the 5 year old throws tantrums until the grandmother who lives in the home gives in. She also sneaks food in the middle of the night. Of course she does... she's 5 years old. I think Dr. Oz needs to go through her home and do some major education and throw out all of the bad stuff. There has to be some major changes there. I felt sorry for the Mom, she's trying her best with the knowledge she has, but everyone in that home has to make changes, not just the 5 year old. And if she refuses to eat the good things, as her Mom says she refuses to eat salads with non-fat dressing on it, (I refuse it too!) BUT if she refuses other things that are good for her, then let her go without eating. She'll get hungry enough and eat the better choices if that is all that is offered and available.

Just my opinion~

Hey Dee~

My knees are feeling better, although not where I want them. I was also told by ortho, that to avoid this, lose weight. I was in a total catch 22. To lose, I needed to work out, but I couldn't because of my knees. It was a vicious cycle. I am 32 and was told that they will only do 3 knees in a lifetime. Well, that is not good odds for me. I was imagining myself at 70 in a wheel chair, because I used up all my knees! Now, I know that I was fat (try having your 5 year old son, come up from behind you at Wal-Mart, on a Saturday no less, and start shaking your bootie and singing "I like big butts and I cannot lie...") and did try several diets in the past 3 years. Everything. But my main factor was my knee.

I am down 31 pounds, and have been to the gym several times. I am able to do the bike, elliptical and treadmill. I am doing 40-60 minutes cardio and then 2-3 days a week with weights. I am hoping that will jump start my weight loss again. I seem to be at a stand still.

Wow Brandy!

You're doing so much activity! That's great!

I'm sorry to hear about not being able to get in for a fill. When I was in the office yesterday, they told me that they are booked solid. I'm glad I made my first fill appt. early.

I think Dr. K is becoming extremely popular! That's our faults! We need to stop telling people how happy we are with him! LOL! I'm just kidding! BUT there is no joking about needing a fill and not being able to get one. Did you make your appt for sometime in March?

Dee~

I did, I think I will call later and ask if they have a cancelation, if they could call me. I can drive fast!!! HA!

With all the stress of my sweet little 4 year old and her obnoxious big brothers, sometimes it is NICE to go to the gym. I am completely alone! HAHA!! All joking aside, I do have lots of stress with her (in fact, I am getting my CNA in March so that I get paid to take care of her 3 hours per day). Going back to school, will be a whole challenge in itself with 4 kiddos!

Hey Brandy,

Well, I was not up for knee replacements or anything like that, but I knew that big problems were in store for me. I was "pre-diabetic" at my last physical. My OB/GYN told me that I shouldn't even think about having children until I lose weight. I can't walk up a flight of stairs without huffing and puffing. I have a hard time getting off the sofa. I have no energy. My thighs rub together. I get chafing and sores between skin folds (fat rolls). My ankles swell when it's hot. I can't fit into some seats. My DH and I went to a baseball game last summer and although I managed to squeeze my big ass into the seat, I was miserably uncomfortable and had cramps in my thighs and legs the entire night after we got home. And so on.

I was smart enough to know that it was going to get worse instead of better. I started looking at lapband two and a half years ago. I put on 40 pounds in those two years. It was HIGH TIME, you know what I'm saying? :biggrin:

Viri~

Totally understand! I have 3 boys who play competitive ball...so I get the whole swelling and being sore. This summer is going to be a heckava' lot better! Can't wait!

Brandy

Red Robin - Feb. 7 (please copy and paste)

Dynamo (Michelle)

Brandy

Mal

Woofay

Bookholder

dee~

John t

Lydia

Anyone Else?????

It would be amazing to have 8 of us. I think I want a round table again, because it is so much better for talking. We can pull up a couple of chairs if we need to.

Hi Everyone -

I am having a day off from exercise. Whew! These old bones get tired after 4 days in a row. Usually I do 3 days on 1day off 2 days on 1 day off - so I get my 5 times a week. But I didn't work out because I was in the mountains.

I was sorry I missed the Oprah show. I did get to the caucus last night, what a crazy event. I was at Grandview High School as an Independent, so I couldn't vote, but I helped register everyone in the room I was in. There were so many people, they ran out of forms. The parking lot was gridlock for 45 minutes. However, it is going to be year of choice which is nice for a change.

My eating is back under control. I hate being human. Although I think it is the alcohol that I drank in the mountains that puts me into a nose dive. Must be the carb thing.

Well, I am looking forward to seeing all of you soon.

Michelle

Brandy, you have to understand that Dr. Kirshenbaum is a very busy and popular surgeon. He does all of his own Consultations, History & Physical's, Fills & Unfills and even does telephone consults for patients from out of state. He also does a lot of work comp patients from what I understand and those patients have priority over fill patients. I know the office will get you in soon if you need an unfill buy not for a regular fill. They are booked out about 3-4 weeks and they tell us that we should schedule in advance.