Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

Hey Folks!

I had two great NSV's this week!

In 2005, I had my achilles rupture and since that time, I haven't been able to stand on my tippy toes! I didn't have surgery to correct this, I wore a brace. Anyway, yesterday at Whole Foods, I was trying to reach the Brown Rice Pasta and I just stood on my tippie toes and got it! Then it hit me! I had stood on my toes! I got tears in my eyes and just stood there for a moment of silence!

Then today, I went swimming at Lifetime and I was able to get into the pool by way of the ladder! That's amazing! I usually have to take the steps! The ladder! Me!!

The simple things in life that others have taken for granted! I am blessed to have achieved!

I'm thrilled!

highfive.gif

Victories like stepping on tip toes mean a lot to me. Congrats.

Munchkin- are you okay? That doesn't sound right. You need to get things checked. Goodness.

Deb - I have all my appendages crossed for Tucker and will be sending positive vibes his way. It brings back so many memories of when my Andi had the same thing. When she'd have an "incident" it just scared us to death. She was much too old for the surgery though.

Dee- you go girl! Next thing you know you'll be tippy toeing up and down the ladder!

Mal - STOP IT!!! Geez. You know better. We miss you when you're not here! You're fun and funny and we love to hear about your doggie. So there.

highfive.gif

Victories like stepping on tip toes mean a lot to me. Congrats.

Thanks Lap!! I appreciate the HIGH 5!!

Munchkin- are you okay? That doesn't sound right. You need to get things checked. Goodness.

Deb - I have all my appendages crossed for Tucker and will be sending positive vibes his way. It brings back so many memories of when my Andi had the same thing. When she'd have an "incident" it just scared us to death. She was much too old for the surgery though.

Dee- you go girl! Next thing you know you'll be tippy toeing up and down the ladder!

Mal - STOP IT!!! Geez. You know better. We miss you when you're not here! You're fun and funny and we love to hear about your doggie. So there.

You know really Mini what I should praise myself for is -- putting a swimsuit on and going to a public pool! Maybe it's because I have to remove my glasses to go to the pool. I can't see a damn thing without my glasses, so maybe, just maybe, I am oblivious to other's expressions when they see my body! BUT I don't care! I just put that suit on and climb down that LADDER (yeah Baby!) and swim my laps for an hour!

I'm loving my band!

You know really Mini what I should praise myself for is -- putting a swimsuit on and going to a public pool! Maybe it's because I have to remove my glasses to go to the pool. I can't see a damn thing without my glasses, so maybe, just maybe, I am oblivious to other's expressions when they see my body! BUT I don't care! I just put that suit on and climb down that LADDER (yeah Baby!) and swim my laps for an hour!

I'm loving my band!

Yep!!! That whole public swimsuit thing can be pretty traumatic and I'm really proud of you for going for it!!! Woohoo!!!

Yep!!! That whole public swimsuit thing can be pretty traumatic and I'm really proud of you for going for it!!! Woohoo!!!

It is very scary! BUT I'm not sure why, I have always been able to put a suit on and go! I have no idea why I'm so brave in that area and not in others. Seriously, I thought about that today when I got home from the pool. I know in my heart of hearts that no one really wants to see my body -- they are there to work out too!

It is very scary! BUT I'm not sure why, I have always been able to put a suit on and go! I have no idea why I'm so brave in that area and not in others. Seriously, I thought about that today when I got home from the pool. I know in my heart of hearts that no one really wants to see my body -- they are there to work out too!

That's so great! I love to swim but I have a tough time with the whole swimsuit thing. I need to just get over it.

It cracked me up what you said about your glasses. Before I had Lasik I was blind as a bat without my glasses. I tried to take a Water aerobics class once but I couldn't see the instructor so I couldn't follow the moves. It was so embarrassing.

That's so great! I love to swim but I have a tough time with the whole swimsuit thing. I need to just get over it.

It cracked me up what you said about your glasses. Before I had Lasik I was blind as a bat without my glasses. I tried to take a Water aerobics class once but I couldn't see the instructor so I couldn't follow the moves. It was so embarrassing.

I'm sorry but that is funny Mini!

I can't see the clock, so I'm not sure when my 60 mins is up! I bought an Ironman watch -- which my ex and daughter tease me like crazy for -- me, an Ironman? Anyway, I need to get a new battery for it, but when it works, it tells me when my hour is up. Once I was swimming laps at the pool (at my highest weight) and my daughter was working out, in the weight room. She could see the pool from where she was -- there was a man with a walker in the lane next to me... he was walking pretty fast... anyway, my daughter told me later, that man with the walker was flying past you! BUT at least you had a nice Ironman watch on!! ARGH! (she's right, he was flying past me! AND I did have an awfully nice Ironman watch!) HA!!

I'm sorry but that is funny Mini!

I can't see the clock, so I'm not sure when my 60 mins is up! I bought an Ironman watch -- which my ex and daughter tease me like crazy for -- me, an Ironman? Anyway, I need to get a new battery for it, but when it works, it tells me when my hour is up. Once I was swimming laps at the pool (at my highest weight) and my daughter was working out, in the weight room. She could see the pool from where she was -- there was a man with a walker in the lane next to me... he was walking pretty fast... anyway, my daughter told me later, that man with the walker was flying past you! BUT at least you had a nice Ironman watch on!! ARGH! (she's right, he was flying past me! AND I did have an awfully nice Ironman watch!) HA!!

:rolleyes::laugh::biggrin::laugh::tt2:

Hello Friends:

Reading everyone's comments, I can almost hear these voices talking to eachother. The support and encouragement is something unique to this group. I wonder what element is present that distinguishes Dr. K's patients from others?

Everyone, please be cognisant of our hurricane coastal friends and family. We have four storms heading this way one, two, three, four. Reminds me of 2004-05. (Katrina).

Mal your open thoughts are appreciated. I too have felt discouraged, disappointed, with nothing to say. I can assure you that not seeing you since spring 2007 I can see a difference even from just your face. On the same up and down, I can relate. But I keep thinking and asking myself, "What's happening here?". "What am I doing differently?" and I keep asking the questions and mainly exploring this journey. I am finding answers whether I like what I discover or not. Let's see now... there was:

The bad fill I had locally that made me sick pretty much each time I ate and I didn't know if it was normal or not. Flew to Denver, Dr. K drained the cloudy yuck and put fresh in. But that was 4 or 5 months of a setback ( I felt ).

Then there was eating too much liquid calories.

Then there was too much fat.

Then there was my lazy butt ( I thought ) that didn't want to do anything but lay in bed but turned out to be damage in my spine causing pain.

NOW..the medications.

It's fine though. We keep pressing on and as long as we keep going, it really doesn't matter how long it takes to cross the finish line. If we don't quit, time is on our side.

Edited by Lap_dancer

I went to the doctor's today regarding the medication. Here's what's up.

I wrote the name and doseage of all six drugs on a large index card. When compared, it was apparent I had four drugs that could cause weight gain. I can't say there was a hunger issue because my appetite has been so tame compared to what it use to be.

We switched the medications and right now I am transitioning to one new medication, the one for depression. It's a new drug that WHO WAS IT RECOMMENDED IT? it's late and I can't remember at this moment.

I was taking Inderal and this is a drug that she said, "given your age I never would have put you on this." I take this for Migraines. We switched that one too.

Lesson learned: Check your medications yourself on the web. Search the drug name and side effects then see if it applies to you.

OH OH forgot to add that I am probably going to head out to Denver in November.

Has anyone had an issue with any of these?

white raisins

Raw oats

Simply Jif

apples

I have taken this WW recipe from years ago and mixed it all but the apples and spread it on top of an apple, in this case, one half of an apple cut into slices. This took me to work as my Breakfast on Tuesday, Wednesday. By Thursday I had horrid gas and OUCH moments. My stomach began to swell.

I switched it out on Thursday to liquids in the morning, warm Soup, scrambled eggs. Stopped taking pain meds for the day and by late last night the grand exodus began. This continued through the day.

Rememeber the 4 lbs? Gone.

So like I said...anyone have trouble with any of those foods?

My guess is the apple peels perhaps slowed up, stayed in one place longer than they should have, didn't go through the pipes. I dunno. Crazy gas. Horse farts.

I think I will head out to Denver in November. Got way too much happening the next two months and I don't think anything is hyper serious but I'd like to get the once over with our doctor. It would be great if we could try a gathering.

I have already looked at the Westin. I think I am going to splurge and go for a Heavenly Bed to sleep in. My back is getting intolerant these days and the Heavenly Beds are amazing.

Anyone have thoughts on the Westin Denver - Tabor ?

Lap,

I'm always so sad when I hear about your back problems. You've suffered so long. You're such a good soul and have taken on this journey one day at a time -- you're honest and open with your struggles and I am honored by your words and presence on this site.

I agree with you. How many times do we go to the Doctors' page of this site and find that "considering Dr. Kirshenbaum" is the first on the list? I find that amazing! The peeps here are simply the best people on this earth. They are true and caring, kind and loving folks. We are blessed with having found Dr. K and by finding him, finding better health and the sweetness of friendship here.

My good friend speaks highly of the Westin and their Heavenly Bed. I don't have personal experience with this bed.

I'd love if we could all meet when you're here. All of us! I wish everyone could be here!

Lap, that recipe sounds great. Sorry you are suffering! I'm glad you are getting the whole meds thing straightened out, though.

Prty, you are doing so great to be exercising regularly. I am proud of you, and you're right, everybody is at the gym to do their own thing. Geez with ipods and everything, you hardly even talk to other people there. Who cares if you're not a swimsuit model (yet!)

Mal, I never saw your before photos, but you sure look fantastic now. Hang in there and keep doing the right things.

I had dinner at a restaurant tonight with my daughter who is home from college for the weekend. I talked about being excited about my surgery on Wed., and she said "I don't know why you're doing this to yourself, but I guess it's your decision". I guess in a complimentary sort of way, she doesn't see anything wrong with me now. But I was sure wanting her support. She is built like her Dad, tall and thin, and I don't think she has any idea what it is like to be overweight. Later in the car, she said "I hope I don't have that problem later on in life". Hmmmmm. Maybe I'm just anxious and overly sensitive. I'm a single mom, and just wanted her behind me 100% on this. She knows I'm a nurse and have researched this carefully, so she does trust my judgement.

Anybody else have your adult kids feel like this?