Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

Lifesaver: OMG, that's scary! I hope you're OK. Your commitment is pretty impressive!

ShelbiCallie: A 14er is a basically a mountain that is 14,000 feet or higher above sea level. Colorado has the most of any state in the U.S. Such a beautiful state.

AdorKable: Maybe you are overdoing it so close to surgery? Sounds worrisome; I hope your surgeon can set your mind at ease.

Dee: Just sending you hugs is all.

Hi to everyone. I started reading this thread about a month before my surgery. Started at the beginning and finally decided I couldn't possibly read everything! I had surgery July 30th with my girlfriend in Denver and have been doing really well.

I have a question for you. We go back to Denver for our first fill next Thursday and I've not really been trying regular food. It's been 20 days since surgery, and I'm not clear on the eating. Should we be eating regular food before our fill?

Thanks to everyone for all your honesty. I have learned so much and have really enjoyed watching you support each other.

Hi to everyone. I started reading this thread about a month before my surgery. Started at the beginning and finally decided I couldn't possibly read everything! I had surgery July 30th with my girlfriend in Denver and have been doing really well.

I have a question for you. We go back to Denver for our first fill next Thursday and I've not really been trying regular food. It's been 20 days since surgery, and I'm not clear on the eating. Should we be eating regular food before our fill?

Thanks to everyone for all your honesty. I have learned so much and have really enjoyed watching you support each other.

Congrats on your banding Gardner! AND your Girlfriend's too!

You can eat before a fill, however, I never eat a larger size meal just prior to my fill. I have only had 2 fills and both times, I just did a small meal early in the morning and a Protein Shake for the meal just prior to my fill. My fills are usually in the afternoon. After my fill, I do full liquids that night and softs the next day or two. This is not advise from Dr. K, but it's what I've learned from my research.

Are you eating a regular diet at this time? Or are you still on mushies?

Today was the first "real" food I had - a chicken breast and mashed potatoes at a luncheon. When I'm home I'm still blending the chicken. Guess I'M CHICKEN! Should I be trying more? My friend has been much more adventurous than me.

Today was the first "real" food I had - a chicken breast and mashed potatoes at a luncheon. When I'm home I'm still blending the chicken. Guess I'M CHICKEN! Should I be trying more? My friend has been much more adventurous than me.

just do what you're ready doing... take it as slow as you need to - or feel you need to. when you're ready, you can add more solids.

I didn't rush my solids, I was chicken too (no pun intended) -

I took it pretty slow as well, but started at about 3 weeks. I found that fish worked really well for me. And I've had to switch from eating light chicken meat to dark as the dark seems to be more moist. Just be careful and chew chew chew and you'll be fine.

You know Mini, each time I think I need a fill, something happens to tell me I do not.

I can't really discuss this right now, but I'm dealing with some big things. Yesterday, I had an emotional breakdown. I have cried and cried and cried. Around 11am, I finally thought, I better try to eat something. I had some steamed veggies. I warmed them and took a couple of bites. Stuck! Stuck! Stuck! No sliming or vomiting, but pain! I guess crying and eating with the band is a bad thing!

I have an appt. to see a therapist tomorrow morning.

Being stressed, dehydrated and on my TOM have all proven to make me tight.

I also have heard of others having a delayed restriction. That might be you!

Dee-Sending you huge hugs! I love you! If it makes you feel any better, I am seeing a therapist Thursday. Too bad I don't live out there or we could get a group discount, eh?

And I am one of the ones with the freaky delayed restriction. My fill doc thinks I am insane, but I swear my fills don't kick in until 3-4 days after I get them. I just got another 0.2 cc fill yesterday, and I am really afraid tomorrow or Thursday I will not be able to eat! Time will tell!

Edited by munchkin392
Forgot to add something...blonde moment....

Rene- I am glad you survived your cycling accident! I am with you, after being a 911 dispatcher and EMT, I also don't want to see the back of an ambulance (unless I am working back there of course, it is fun every once in awhile)!

Adork-I wrote you a huge reply last night and it didn't post for some reason! Everything kept freezing up, so I got frustrated and said to heck with it. What I was going to tell you, was that I didn't want to say anything before your gallbladder surgery, but my gallbladder surgery was hell. I attributed it to the fact that I had not had surgery since I had my tonsils taken out when I was 5, until I had my band surgery to compare it to. The gallbladder surgery is brutal-not sure why!

I was laughing about Sophie eating your computer cord! When Bailey was little he ate a visitors $400 Palm Pilot. Then when Abby was a pup, I went to the basement to put laundry in the dryer. By the time I got back upstairs (no more than 5 minutes later) she had eaten a hole about 1 foot wide by 1 foot in length out of my brand new living room chair!! I about died! Luckily it was fixable!! Labs are the naughtiest puppies ever, I swear!

I am up one pound this week, which was not unexpected. I knew last weeks loss was all stress/lack of eating weight loss!

When Keeley was a little one she ate about half of one of my long skirts. Gee, it was fun for her when it came out the other end, let me tell you!

One of my kitties is obsessed with eating ribbon. She had been moping around the house for a few days (this was a few years ago) when I saw something bright red on her bottom. At first I thought it was blood and was terrified! Then I realized it was the end of a piece of ribbon. We took her to the vet who pulled out 3 feet of Christmas ribbon. Egads!!!

So far the only thing Gracie May eats that she shouldn't is Keeley's poop. It's so disgusting. She threw up poop scented vomit all over her crib the other night. BLECH! Why do we love these little fur people so much????

Ok, so this is my latest flight of fancy. My coworkers are all laughing at me because I want to get a part time job at Starbucks. It looks fun to work there and it would be soooooo non-stressful as a second job. More importantly, it's NOT a nursing job. Yes, I know I would make about 25 bucks more an hour working more nursing hours, but that is not what it is about. And I would get a discount on my iced tea that I am addicted to. :) And sadly, Starbucks actually has better benefits than our hospital! So weigh in everyone, have I officially gone off my rocker?

I started my vacation this week. I am pretty psyched to actually get a few weekends off so I can do some fun things. This Friday and Saturday night we have a local concert called River Roots Live. Foghat plays Friday night, and The Guess Who plays Saturday night. And it is FREE this year! I have seen The Guess Who before, and they are awesome live! They also have a Ribfest with it, which doesn't thrill me because I don't like BBQ, but my friends are stoked about it!

Saturday during the day is my favorite event of the year-The Celtic Highland Games. I am Scottish on both sides of my family, so I actually get really into that stuff! (Except for hagis of course, that is just gross!)

Next weekend I am going to Chicago to Woodfield Mall for window shopping and maybe some new fall clothes, and then we are going to see Aimee Mann and Squeeze at Ravinia, a beautiful outdoor concert site.

And then there are the eight million things I need to do around the house...and I am not exaggerating. I have weeds on the side of my house that are about 8 feet tall (and I am not exaggerating about that either sadly enough...sigh....)

Drive by post... Sorry I have been swamped with volleyball and the girls going back to school. Rach made JV, the mom who was my right hand on the booster club well her daughter didn't make it. So needless to say she has walked away and not given me any of her notes from the last 2 weeks. So I am playing make up trying to get stuff in order. I won;t count on someone else ever again.

I lost 1 messly pound last week. All the running around my diet has sucked. But al least I don't eat alot, right?

Ms Dee, I am so sorry you are feeling down. Know How much we all care for you and are cheering you on. You are OUR sunshine. Take care of yourself and get the help that you deserve. You are one of the kindest women I know and I am blessed to have met you.

Well, I am sorry that I haven;t addressed everyone, I haven't had a chance to get fully caught up yet. Maybe next week when my life settles down a little.

TaTa4Now...:)

When Keeley was a little one she ate about half of one of my long skirts. Gee, it was fun for her when it came out the other end, let me tell you!

One of my kitties is obsessed with eating ribbon. She had been moping around the house for a few days (this was a few years ago) when I saw something bright red on her bottom. At first I thought it was blood and was terrified! Then I realized it was the end of a piece of ribbon. We took her to the vet who pulled out 3 feet of Christmas ribbon. Egads!!!

So far the only thing Gracie May eats that she shouldn't is Keeley's poop. It's so disgusting. She threw up poop scented vomit all over her crib the other night. BLECH! Why do we love these little fur people so much????

I can top the cat story...my cat Buster (aka Fat Bubba) had 9 feet of string come out his hiney once. No joke!! I came home one night and he greeted me at the door, turned around and trotted away, and had about 3 feet of string coming out of his rear. I completely freaked and called the emergency vet, who told me to isolate him in a room until the rest came out. It seriously was a total of 9 feet. This is also the cat who has somehow singed off the whiskers above his eyes one night when we were gone. The only thing I could figure out was that he stuck his head in the bottom of the furnace and the pilot light singed them! He definitely is at the end of his 9 lives!

A few months ago Reilly ate about 1/4 of my bathroom rug, you know, with the rubber stuff on the back and all. I thought for SURE he would have a bowel obstruction. He really enjoyed that coming out the other end I am sure! I picked up pieces of bathroom rug poo from all over the yard! (I am still not sure what possessed him as he does not usually eat anything except for the pillow I sleep with when he is mad at me for getting home late. I buy alot of new pillows)!

You are right...after reading this, why do we love our little fur boogers so much?

Drive by post... Sorry I have been swamped with volleyball and the girls going back to school. Rach made JV, the mom who was my right hand on the booster club well her daughter didn't make it. So needless to say she has walked away and not given me any of her notes from the last 2 weeks. So I am playing make up trying to get stuff in order. I won;t count on someone else ever again.

I lost 1 messly pound last week. All the running around my diet has sucked. But al least I don't eat alot, right?

Ms Dee, I am so sorry you are feeling down. Know How much we all care for you and are cheering you on. You are OUR sunshine. Take care of yourself and get the help that you deserve. You are one of the kindest women I know and I am blessed to have met you.

Well, I am sorry that I haven;t addressed everyone, I haven't had a chance to get fully caught up yet. Maybe next week when my life settles down a little.

TaTa4Now...:)

You summed that up so well. Dee, you ARE OUR SUNSHINE!!!!

Munchkin, I'm Scottish too! We visited last year. It was so awesome to walk around and see lots of people who look like me!!! LOVED Edinburgh. Coolest city ever.

Hotmomma you sound like you're buried. But don't knock the 1 lb loss. It's soooo much better than the alternative. And you're lookin' so hot you don't need to stress about it.

I can top the cat story...my cat Buster (aka Fat Bubba) had 9 feet of string come out his hiney once. No joke!! I came home one night and he greeted me at the door, turned around and trotted away, and had about 3 feet of string coming out of his rear. I completely freaked and called the emergency vet, who told me to isolate him in a room until the rest came out. It seriously was a total of 9 feet. This is also the cat who has somehow singed off the whiskers above his eyes one night when we were gone. The only thing I could figure out was that he stuck his head in the bottom of the furnace and the pilot light singed them! He definitely is at the end of his 9 lives!

A few months ago Reilly ate about 1/4 of my bathroom rug, you know, with the rubber stuff on the back and all. I thought for SURE he would have a bowel obstruction. He really enjoyed that coming out the other end I am sure! I picked up pieces of bathroom rug poo from all over the yard! (I am still not sure what possessed him as he does not usually eat anything except for the pillow I sleep with when he is mad at me for getting home late. I buy alot of new pillows)!

You are right...after reading this, why do we love our little fur boogers so much?

Well, they're just so freakin' cute even with weird things coming out of their butts. That's so funny that Reilly eats your pillow when he's mad. What a goof ball.