Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

Adorkable, Mare and Lap -- how are ya'll doing with the surgery, endoscopy and MRI/PT (I guess this is a good place to put in the word, "respectively".)?

Thanks for asking! My MRI, Magnetic Radiation Imagery

was simply DIVINE. Closed quarters coffin heaven. Why, just remind me to bring one out on Halloween.

ce77be6f.gif

My favorite part was laying on the back that is so painful for 45 minutes and told "don't move". Or maybe it was sliding into the HUGE human Mammogram. Can't make my mind up.

The MRI was 45 minutes long. According to the tech the images came out "perfect". I meditated, thought of lavender fields, dancing in the rain, belly dancing and twirling across the stage at a theatre I have often worked at getting my mind off the pain at hand. MONDAY or TUESDAY we get the results. Scheduled the first physical therapy for next week Wednesday.

OH AND THANKS FOR ASKING!!

Weigh in....305

Back from my 3 week vacation! I weighed myself today and actually lost a couple of pounds while I was gone! No telling how I did that since there was a fair and cotton candy involved, but I'll take it!

Ketchikan is beautiful and I HIGHLY encourage everyone to visit Southeast Alaska at least once in their life. It's like a rain forest without the tropical...and glaciers are an added bonus! Now, Anchorage, Denali, and Fairbanks are good too (and even Nome), but if you're coming to Alaska make sure you it Southeast.

We fell in love with Dance, Dance Revolution and it will be arriving in the mail soon (bought it from my BIL) and I can't wait to get dancing everyday...other excersize is still not calling my name. HOWEVER...we got home on Thursday and have cut and chopped more wood than we'll need this winter (I hope...there is A LOT of wood going on right now). With fuel hitting over $6/gal right now this will help tons! I hope it's not as bad for the rest of you...to note, they DO pay us well to live in areas like this, but, still, you can never get paid enough, right?

I'm struggling with the soda thing, but did realize on vacation that I AM tight enough and therefore, didn't get a fill when I could've. I just need to eat at regular times and not snack, because that's where I err. I eat too many small things throughout the day and if I'd just sit down to eat my 3 main meals I'd be ok. I'm going to try to go on a "soda fast" and see if I can get over this addiction. I think I'm even more addicted to it because it's something I CAN eat/drink that others can't and psychologically that makes it even better (or worse, depending on how you look at it). Does that make sense?

Pretty sunsets here in Nome (that'll be about 10pm Alaska time) and you can check 'em out at nomealaska.org/vc/cam-page.htm

I'm sorry that I haven't been able to keep up with everything...it's so hard to find the time to read and respond. I feel it's important to keep up appearances so I can get support when I need it, but right now I just feel like a moocher and not a giver. I appreciate you all letting me be that way!

Lap, glad to hear that your MRI is over . . . sorry it was so tough. One place I went to taped my eyes shut first. It really helped.

I'm concerned that we've not heard from AdorKable. I hope she's okay.

Marcy, DH and I cruised the inside passage a few years ago and thought it was the most beautiful place on earth. Loved it. And congrats on LOSING weight during your vacation. Hey, we play DDR too!! Isn't it a hoot? And it really is good exercise. We just bought the new one for Wii. It has hand movements too but I'm too uncoordinated to do both hand and feet movements, so I turn off the hand motions.

Hi everybody,

9pd - I would be glad you are at Crown Point. Just in case, it is nice to know that a major hospital is right there for you.

Dee - glad you are feeling better. I'm wondering how it will feel looking in the mirror in the future. I'm kind of weird that way, I think I look ok when I look in the mirror, but when I see photos of myself am horrified at how fat I look.

Mini, - your grandson is soooo cute. I'm also with you on the thong thing. I have never had one myself, since I don't think they are made in my size (HA!) but who knows what the future holds

Dee and Shelbi - so nice that you are rn's also, I'm really thinking about changing areas, have always wanted to do preop/pacu, and might have an opportunity at a Denver hospital soon. Any thoughts on that?

brandy, what did you decide about WW? My best friend has done awesome and reached goal with WW and still goes weekly. It is never felt quite right for me, though

Adork, are you ok? how did your surgery go?

Patti, i feel your pain about the MRI. After freaking out in one years ago, now i can only use the giant square one for obese folks in NW Denver, or opensided MRI. And even with that I have to take major sedatives, and have someone in the room with me at all times to hold my hand and distract me. I know I know, I am such a baby. It is the pits having to be in there, though. I'm glad you were able to hang in there for the entire time.

Marcy, thanks for sharing about Alaska. I have always wanted to go there. Good for you getting all that exercise getting wood ready for winter.

have a great day all!

Oh, my big victory - finally lost 2 pounds, I know, no big deal, but this is the first time in forever that the scale has moved down instead of up. Today is day 3 of my pre-op low carb diet.

Oh, once you are healed from surgery, I was kind of wondering about a couple things:

-can you have caffeine?

-do you have Protein Drinks between meals? this was confusing, as Dr. K told me no between meal snacking, or have a solid Protein such as a couple bites of chicken, but the printed material says to have 8 oz of Protein Drink between each meal

-can you chew gum or have mints?

Hey Denver, good start on your preop!! So, caffeine is fine. Dr. K. has no restrictions on it whatsoever. As for the Protein . . . I think as long as you are getting in enough protein then you don't need to have all those shakes. I have one in the morning (not a Breakfast person) and still get in plenty of protein throughout the day.

clap.gif LABOR DAY 4 WEEK CHALLENGE clap.gif

(monday weigh-ins)

Weigh-ins so far...

adorkable | initial 314 | wk1 307 :thumbup:

Amieru | initial 249 | wk1 247 :Banane34:

bahotmomma | initial 146 | wk1 145 :present:

BellaPerdente | initial 259 | wk1 257 :cake:

brandymom1234 |

deboregon | initial ?? | wk1 -9.3 :thumbup:

DenverGirl |initial 239 | wk1 237 :thumbup:

GreenChrysalis | initial 244 | wk1 243 :thumbup:

lap_dancer | initial 307 | wk1 305 :thumbup:

lifesaver | initial 178 | wk1 175 :thumbup:

lotzasunshine | initial 294 |

Mal |

minidriver | initial 204.8 | wk1 205.2 :thumbup:

munchkin392 | initial 189 | wk1 186 :thumbup:

PrtyAntOvrYt |

ShelbiCallie | initial 189 | wk1 188 :thumbup:

Sidann | initial 223 | wk1 221 :thumbup:

Woofay |

If I missed anyone... PLEASE let me know!!!

GOALS....

adorKable | 15 lbs | 1 hr walk daily & strength 3x week

Amieru | 9 lbs | 3x week gym

bahotmomma | 5 lbs | 3x week c25k

BellaPerdente | 10 lbs| 30 min walk daily

brandymom1234 | 10 lbs | gym 3x week

deboregon | 10 lbs | 30 min 3x week

DenverGirl | 5 lbs | 30 min 3x week

GreenChrysalis | 10 lbs | 1 hr daily

lap_dancer | 23 lbs | PT & Rehab

lifesaver | 8 lbs

lotzasunshine | 10 lbs | 30 min 5x week

Mal | 10 lbs | 30 min daily & strength 4x week

minidriver | 10 lbs | 30 min walk daily

munchkin392 | 8 lbs | bad foot free pass on exercise

PrtyAntOvrYt | 20 lbs | work out goal?

ShelbiCallie | 8 lbs | 1 hr daily

Sidann | goal ? | work out goal ?

Woofay | 5 lbs | work out goal ?

Edited by adorKable

So ladies as you can see I survived my surgery! Oh my did this one hurt... A LOT... more than the band. I didn't even have to take pain meds last time... I was grocery shopping and cooking the next day. This time... OYE... I was counting down the hours until I could take vicodin again. I had A LOT of pain. I could not even wipe when I went to the bathroom! lol! Argh. Sooo frustrating to only be able to lay on my back for days on end.

Today is the FIRST day I have felt well enough to sit up and go on the computer. Unfortunately Sophie ate my laptop cord so my laptop in indisposed. Lucky for her she did it when I was high on vicodin so I could only muster a muffled whimpery cry before passing back out. ha ha. Bad puppy.

I am feeling excellent today. I even managed a short walk with Sophie today. My goals went out the window. Don't know how I thought I was going to manage walks and strength training while recovering from surgery. Not sure if Dr K is just that much more gentle inside... or if having something cut out is just that much more painful then having something clamped on. hehe.

I weighed in today at 302 so I am ecstatic! I have lost all the bloaty and IV weight from surgery and then some. Probably helped that I was drugged up and not eating all week. We will see if it holds for tomorrows weigh in!

Munchkin~ So sorry about your soon to be ex. How is he doing? How are you doing? I would help you with the pups but I am too far away. Did you decide on whether to postpone surgery or not?

Lap~ Your scan sounded like fun! haha not! I hope the PT helps with your pain. Keep us updated.

Greenie~ PB'ing... until this last fill I could honestly say I never slimed OR PB'd. I did have about 3 PB's the week of my fill until I got my shit together and worked on eating SLOWER and SMALLER bites. I have been PB free for a while now and hope to stay that way. I wouldn't beat yourself up over it. It happens. As long as you listen and correct your behavior. Daily PB's or several times a week in my opinion would be excessive and unhealthy!

Oh and congrats on your 6 month bandiversary! =)

Mini~ Your grandbaby is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing the photos! =)

I had a lot of pages to skim so I hope I didn't miss anything too important! Don't forget ladies... tomorrow is our challenge WEIGH IN!

Oh dorky one. I've heard that it's very painful. My SIL had to have gall bladder surgery the day after a c-section, and said the gall bladder surgery hurt more than the c-section.

I'm glad you're feeling better. We've missed you.

Hi everybody,

Dee - glad you are feeling better. I'm wondering how it will feel looking in the mirror in the future. I'm kind of weird that way, I think I look ok when I look in the mirror, but when I see photos of myself am horrified at how fat I look.

Marcy, thanks for sharing about Alaska. I have always wanted to go there. Good for you getting all that exercise getting wood ready for winter.

have a great day all!

Oh, my big victory - finally lost 2 pounds, I know, no big deal, but this is the first time in forever that the scale has moved down instead of up. Today is day 3 of my pre-op low carb diet.

Oh, once you are healed from surgery, I was kind of wondering about a couple things:

-can you have caffeine?

-do you have Protein drinks between meals? this was confusing, as Dr. K told me no between meal snacking, or have a solid protein such as a couple bites of chicken, but the printed material says to have 8 oz of protein drink between each meal

-can you chew gum or have mints?

Denver - I too have "body dismorphic disorder" (well, that's what I call it)where I would see myself in a mirror and think "ah, not so bad, maybe even darn good", but then see a picture and think "holy crap, am I really that fat?" Well, it was the day that I actually SAW myself in the mirror that I decided to have the surgery. I have continued to see myself differently than pictures, but now the pictures are starting to match what I see....something to look forward for! You'll enjoy it!

About afterwards...everyone is different with what they can and can't eat. I suck at being able to eat any kind of bread (even toasted) or any kind of Pasta (although I managed some moose lasagna a few weeks ago). I AM able to drink soda though and that can be bad...it's expensive here so I don't partake as much as I want (which is a good thing).

Lap Dancer sometimes posts things about Overeaters Anonomous (sp?) and it's helpful for me - even though I don't tell her all the time. Weight gain/loss can be from different issues for all of us and the Band isn't going to make the issues go away so you still have to be comitted to changing how/what you eat.

That's awesome that you're doing so well with the pre-op diet. Just remember, if you can stick out this two weeks then you'll be just fine post-op! We are all here for you!

So ladies as you can see I survived my surgery! Oh my did this one hurt... A LOT... more than the band. I didn't even have to take pain meds last time... I was grocery shopping and cooking the next day. This time... OYE... I was counting down the hours until I could take vicodin again. I had A LOT of pain. I could not even wipe when I went to the bathroom! lol! Argh. Sooo frustrating to only be able to lay on my back for days on end.

Ador - I had my gallbladder out years ago and it was killer! I've had three c-sections since and those (and the Band) were cake compared. I have to say that I'm grateful for all those who complain about the surgery because I thought I might've just been a total wus back then...but now I know I wasn't, that surgery really is a killer! Take it easy and enjoy the Vicodin! :wink2:

OK FOLKS - I'm back on and that makes 2 for 2...it's like it's the LapBandTalk Olympics for me! Too funny! I'm trying to get inspired by the athletes, but really, I'm enjoying sitting on the couch a little too much. My arms are killing me today from all the wood chopping...I'll hit the axe again tomorrow though...we still have quite a bit to split so it'll dry up before it starts snowing!! When we're all done I'll have to take a picture of our "stack" so you'll all be impressed.:blush:

Oh dorky one. I've heard that it's very painful. My SIL had to have gall bladder surgery the day after a c-section, and said the gall bladder surgery hurt more than the c-section.

I'm glad you're feeling better. We've missed you.

Ador - I had my gallbladder out years ago and it was killer! I've had three c-sections since and those (and the Band) were cake compared. I have to say that I'm grateful for all those who complain about the surgery because I thought I might've just been a total wus back then...but now I know I wasn't, that surgery really is a killer! Take it easy and enjoy the Vicodin! :wink2:

SOOO glad to know I am not a whimp!!! LMAO. I was surprised to say the least at the pain. Now I don't feel so bad! lol. :frown: :blush:

Monday morning weigh-in...256, down 1 pound. :lost1lbs:I was hoping for more. I have been weighing myself everyday (bad) and it has been up and down all week. I need to start exercising. I have been more active but not true exercise.

Took my daughter to college this weekend.:blush: I miss her!

Adorkable: I agree with everyone about the pain of this surgery. I also had three c-sections and I thought I would breeze through this surgery....but it was more painful.

I've been out of the loop for awhile so this is my long reply post to various things I've seen here. But first, hurray, I finally have broken 60 pounds gone! Thanks everyone for the congrats on my progress! I love this group. Whenever I'm feeling doubtful or down about myself, I can always find something here to cheer me up. :wink2:

Monday Morning Weigh In-- I have lost 2.5 pounds. My first week with more than a 1 pound weight loss in awhile, so I am happy. I weighed myself 3 times this morning just to be sure. :smile:

AdorKable -- So glad that you made it through the gallbladder surgery OK. I have heard that it's pretty painful and it sounds like that is correct. Bleh. I hope that you're feeling all better soon. And thanks for commenting on the PB situation.

BrandyMom1234: SparkPeople.com is a really cool health/fitness website. You can track all of your food and Water intake, including specific nutrients and Vitamins if you choose. It creates neat spreadsheets and graphs. You can use their plan or just set your own. You can also track your exercise and set goals. It has a lot of helpful articles and videos on healthy living, recipes, exercise and more. There are also forums and Spark Teams for different interests, ages, challenges, etc. And it's all free. I sound like an ad, but I really do enjoy the site a lot and would suggest that anybody give it a try. :smile:

Tropicana: I think you should just contact Natalie (the bariatric coordinator, email and phone number on Dr. K's website) and explain your situation. None of us can tell you for sure if Dr. K would accept you as a patient or not. Good luck!

DynamoMini: It is so good to see you around! I have been wondering about you. I am sorry that you've been having a difficult time of it. I hope you keep up your spirits, you know we are all rooting for you. :blush:

DenverGirl: You will make it through that pre-op diet. Just keep your eyes on the prize at the end and it'll be over before you know it! Thanks for your good wishes. I did get a massage on Saturday to Celebrate. :tt2:

Dee: You must know how very loved and cherished you are here -- you always inspire me. I am so sorry that you're feeling blue. I hope that you're soon seeing the light again. :frown:

Munchkin: I have found therapy very helpful in getting my brain around the transformation that I am going through as well as loving myself. After being "the fat girl" for so long, part of me is very worried as to who I will be once I can't describe myself that way anymore. I have used my fat as insulation, as an excuse not to try new things and take chances. I have made assumptions about people -- "they will not like me because I am so fat, so why bother?" -- because of it. Once it is gone, I will have to find a new way. It's tough.

9pdmnm5: I had my surgery at Crown Pointe and it was a really good experience overall. Very pretty there, clean, comfortable, friendly staff. Can't say anything about Englewood as I've never been.

Minidriver: That adorable little sleepin' face! That wee little fistie! You're killing us here with those photos. :tt2:

Well folks, I need to work! Don't talk too much until I check back in again, OK? :tt2:

Edited by GreenChrysalis

Okay, moving in the right direction . . . I'm at 203.3. I can't believe I've only lost 2 lbs since my fill 2 weeks ago. Dayum. Well, I know it's better than gaining. I just need to be patient. Second fill is not so far away.

Congrats to the rest of you. YAY FOR LOSING!!!