Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

I do telephonic patient assessments for a disease management company. Basically, I work in a phone center; but, thanks, to technology (gotta love it) I work from home. There are positives and negatives, of course. Barkley comes to work with me daily and no holidays or weekends. Plus, I'm available whenever for my boys -- that is the biggest selling point. It was hard to meet my children's needs when I worked at the hospital. They frown on patient abandonment, imagine that! :thumbup: I really have never had a back up person for my children -- won't go into that tired story here. Anyway, it's the perfect mama job so I think I'll keep it until I can no longer meet the ever increasing production quotas. I've always wanted to do hospice work at some point.

Mini -- Hang in there, sweetie. I agree totally with Dee -- your body's adjusting to the change. Big hugs.

Wow! That sounds like a great job! I have been in the NICU for 18 years with a year in the Ped's Clinic, doing triage. I then did Ped's triage from my home for about 3 years on the weekend. I picked up all the calls for a very busy 20 provider clinic from 2000 on Friday til 0800 on Monday. They paid my full hourly wage -- whether I had 1 call or 80 a day. The winter time sucked! BUT the summers were a breeze!

Then I missed my babies and returned to the NICU to be permanent charge. In 2005, I worked 16 months as a Care Manager managing Diabetic Patients... new and established. I loved that job!

I love being a nurse. There are so many things you can do with it.

So, my big decision next is whether to go back to CO for my first fill appt or to stay here. Eventually, I'll have to go to a doc here, so should I go to him/her from the very beginning, or see Dr. K first? If I get a cheap flight again, it's actually cheaper to go to Dr. K! But eventually I'll have to start a relationship with someone here. Hmmm, at least I have some time to think this over.

GBear, everyone is different... I had the same decision to make. I ended up decided to do follow up in AZ. I still have to drive 4 hours to the surgeon I chose but I absolutely LOVE him and I love the fact that he does fills under fluoroscopy.

You will know what is right for you when your fill time gets closer. I still update Natalie as to what is going on with me... but for the most part I call my new surgeon if I have issues. (i.e. My gallbladder)

This morning I was down 1.5 pounds since the last time I weighed myself Thursday morning, so I'm pretty damn pleased with fill #4. I have that distinctive feeling of the liquids slowing going through when I'm drinking, and I'm eating much less. Now to sustain the momentum!

Congrats on the success with you last fill! I am in love with my last fill as well. It makes such a world of difference doesn't it!!! :thumbup:

I can still gulp liquids but can REALLY feel the difference when it comes to solids. I had 2 stuck episodes but have finally discovered some of my soft stop signals so I have been good now.

So I got into the PCP (not my regular doc, but another in the clinic)and she said it didn't look too bad. She did prescribe an antibiotic ointment though. If it spreads though, I have to go back in. So, I guess it was just a lesson of "Better safe than sorry".

Did you talk to Dr K about the results? I hope it has cleared up! That scares me as well since it is your port incision. Please keep us updated with that!

Sorry your PCP was so rude. Do what I did, fire her and find a new one! :lol:

Okay, folks! The picture is pretty bad (took it with my cell phone) but here is our new furry addition! She and Keeley did just fine (sniffed each other then ignored each other, but were lying on the grass together). She is the cutest little pumpkin.
She is adorable!!! Congrats. Just the cutest lil button!!! :scared2:

Does anyone else have a soft sign? Sometimes, I also get this strange squeeky burp/hiccup too. It's loud and kind of embarrassing!

Just ask my daughter! That comes after my runny nose!

I take a breath and sigh. I need to listen more to it, but head hunger fights me somestimes. Damn head hunger.

Would love to hear your squeeky burp/hiccup! haha. sounds cute. :unsure:

Well gals, my sister had her interview for the police department tonight, and it sounds like it went really well! I don't want to jinx her, but I just feel like she's going to get it. Things have just fallen into place, and it just feels right for some reason. So everyone keep your fingers and toes crossed, and send some good vibes her way! They are supposed to put the list out by the end of the week, and there are 4 positions, so as long as she is in the top 4 she has a new career!!

My fingers and toes are crossed for your sister!!! I hope she gets the job! :frown:

Yes Mini when I went to soft foods I did the same thing. I came online and asked about it and Dee came to my rescue. I have slowed down again but it's because I'm eating too much. I don't feel any restriction or very little and I don't pay close enough attention to what I'm doing. Therefore - no wonder I've slowed down with my weight loss. I've been more careful this week and I see the scale moving a little bit. We will see on Saturday.

I can't remember which new bander mentioned they were taking children's liquid Tylenol but they make the adult version in liquid. Take that if you can because it will stay with you longer to take care of the pain.

My soft signal is kind of different. I feel like I have a gas bubble in my throat and when that is gone (pretty quickly) I feel like a door has closed to my stomach. It isn't painful but it is a definite stop signal. The problem is that if I eat too quickly or drink with my meal the signal is not there and the door does not close. When I was waiting for my pre-op visit with Dr. K. a woman in the waiting room was saying that she felt like she had a trap door that closed when she had eaten enough for that meal. I thought that was weird but that is what happens to me too but I have to be paying close attention and eating correctly! 20 lbs and I think I'm an expert! The key is doing what I know is best - hmmm. I wonder why I haven't been caught pinching and acting up on the loser's bench with Shelbi.

You're right about the Liquid Adult Tylenol. And you can also get the Liquid Adult Motrin. But you do have to ask for it in the Pharmacy. They put it behind the counter to keep parents from accidently picking it up. I didn't know that until recently and I've been taking the children's.

If you've now taken on Shelbi's role of the Loser's Bench Pest, we may have to get a hold of Munchkin so she can restrain you too!

Silly Girl~

Deb ~ I am jealous....a Shakespeare Festival is right up my alley. Have a great time!

Dee ~ my soft stop is a hiccup. It took me awhile to recognize it. Now I'll thinking, "I'm probably full..." and almost immediately, I hiccup. It's kind of funny. I'm glad it's not the nose running!

GBear ~ I think I used my spirometer about 3 days after surgery. It is tough to keep up with this thread; they're chatty cathies. You are doing so well -- I wish I had a juicer. Very cool.

As for the port incision, it should be above your navel and probably slightly to the left. It's my biggest scar; the other ones are much smaller. My port isn't directly under the incision, but to the left of it. I can easily feel it through my skin but it's not visible (yet). It always throws my fill doc a bit because apparently when he places it, it's always on the right. :thumbup:

mdargen ~ As far as I know, it's all liquids/chewables/dissolvable meds, all the way (Dr. K gives you liquid pain meds, antibiotics and a dissolvable anti-nausea pill). I even started a chewable birth control pill (Femcon Fe). I take liquid Tylenol for aches and pains. Tylenol used to make chewables for adults, but they quit (not sure why). I wish they would come back because it's so convenient. I have a stash I ordered online but they'll expire next month.

minidriver ~ I know it's exciting to see the numbers go down when you're on liquids, but this stage is about recovery...letting your band heal. Not losing weight. Try to keep that in mind, OK? You're still adjusting. :lol:

Yup, the nose running can be gross. AND my daughter always notices when I pick up my napkin. Sometimes, she says, "you hardly ate anything."

I didn't know they made a chewable BC pill. That's interesting!

My port is below the bra line -- a little to the left. I have 6 incisions.

He needed one extra to get the job done!

So today I went to Sweet Tomatoes with my little one (Sammi). I used to be able to eat a few plates (1 salad, 1 Soup, 1 muffin & pasta), now I can't even finish one plate let alone the extras. I had paying that much and not be able to enjoy it. I feel like I am just throwing money away.

Dee -- I am down another 2 pounds.

Brandy -- Where are you?

Congrats on the 2 pound loss!

I used to love Sweet Tomatoes, but I haven't been there since banding.

When I went to Vegas, it was sad to eat at the buffet. My daughter and ex wanted to go there -- he paid and I ate my tiny amount. I was okay with what I could eat, but I felt bad that he had to pay full price.

I have had a busy busy week ladies. First off I am LOVING my last fill. I am down anther 2 pounds since last Thursday... I will do my "official" weigh in in the morning. That makes 6 pounds in 2 weeks. Restriction rocks! LOVE my band!

Hubby and I adopted a dog this weekend from the Humane Society. I have been wanting to adopt a dog for awhile but hubby was resistant since we have 4 cats. I finally got him to look with me on Sunday and we found the most precious girl. She is so sweet and shy. Melted Rich's heart. He was a goner! lol.

She is a Terrier mix, they say she is about 1 years old, our vet thinks she may be closer to 2 years. We think she was abused because of her behavoir. Very submissive, always ducking and flinching. Breaks my heart because she is so sweet.

Here is a picture of our Sophie. (also a bad pic cuz it is from my cellphone)

Brandy! Where are you?

Mal! Where are you?

Dorkable, when are you having that GB out?

Anita, did your guests leave yet?

Lifesaver, How's life?

Michelle, I hope you're still basking in the sweetness of Love!

My life is good right now. I'm having my third fill tomorrow. I think I'm ready for a tiny one! I haven't gotten rid of all the Water weight, which, I'm sad about. I hate weighing in with so much edema -- I know I weigh less!

We're leaving for ABQ on Saturday. I hope my Mom doesn't say how old I look and how I haven't changed much! It will make me cry!

My boyfriend (I love saying that!) is doing great! He's such a Sweetpea!

I miss you Peeps -- don't be gone from us for so long!

New Banditos -- I hope the aches and pains are disappearing with each new day!

Shelbi, are you still doing the Oats/No Red/Movin' challenge? I am! AND I think it's working -- I can feel the cholesterol just leaving my body! I visualize my LDL's decreasing hourly!

I have had a busy busy week ladies. First off I am LOVING my last fill. I am down anther 2 pounds since last Thursday... I will do my "official" weigh in in the morning. That makes 6 pounds in 2 weeks. Restriction rocks! LOVE my band!

Hubby and I adopted a dog this weekend from the Humane Society. I have been wanting to adopt a dog for awhile but hubby was resistant since we have 4 cats. I finally got him to look with me on Sunday and we found the most precious girl. She is so sweet and shy. Melted Rich's heart. He was a goner! lol.

She is a Terrier mix, they say she is about 1 years old, our vet thinks she may be closer to 2 years. We think she was abused because of her behavoir. Very submissive, always ducking and flinching. Breaks my heart because she is so sweet.

Here is a picture of our Sophie. (also a bad pic cuz it is from my cellphone)

Hey Sister Dork!

I think I was posting when you were posting!

Congrats on that good restriction! I'm getting my 3rd fill tomorrow!

My 6 month bandiversary is next week! I think when I get these ankles down to a normal size, I might have come pretty darn close to my goal!

When are they removing that pesky GB?

I love your Sophie! She's so cute! Give her a big hug for me!

GBear, everyone is different... I had the same decision to make. I ended up decided to do follow up in AZ. I still have to drive 4 hours to the surgeon I chose but I absolutely LOVE him and I love the fact that he does fills under fluoroscopy.

You will know what is right for you when your fill time gets closer. I still update Natalie as to what is going on with me... but for the most part I call my new surgeon if I have issues. (i.e. My gallbladder)

Congrats on the success with you last fill! I am in love with my last fill as well. It makes such a world of difference doesn't it!!! :thumbup:

I can still gulp liquids but can REALLY feel the difference when it comes to solids. I had 2 stuck episodes but have finally discovered some of my soft stop signals so I have been good now.

Did you talk to Dr K about the results? I hope it has cleared up! That scares me as well since it is your port incision. Please keep us updated with that!

Sorry your PCP was so rude. Do what I did, fire her and find a new one! :lol:

She is adorable!!! Congrats. Just the cutest lil button!!! :scared2:

I take a breath and sigh. I need to listen more to it, but head hunger fights me somestimes. Damn head hunger.

Would love to hear your squeeky burp/hiccup! haha. sounds cute. :unsure:

My fingers and toes are crossed for your sister!!! I hope she gets the job! :frown:

I hope my new Beau thinks my squeeky/burp/hiccup is cute!

Wow! I had no idea there were chewable birth control pills. That is just crazy!

adorKable ~ Sophie is so cute. She is so lucky to have you for a mommy.

~Michelle

DORK!!! What a darling puppy girl!!! And I LOVE the name Sophie (one of my cats is named Sophie). Congrats on your success with your fill. Congrats to you too Green. I can't wait till that day comes.

Dee-I'm so happy that you have a boyfriend. It's just so wonderful. Have a good trip to ABQ . . I hope your mom is nice. Mean moms suck.

I'm tired. Long, long day. Night night ladies.

Hey Sister Dork!

I think I was posting when you were posting!

Congrats on that good restriction! I'm getting my 3rd fill tomorrow!

My 6 month bandiversary is next week! I think when I get these ankles down to a normal size, I might have come pretty darn close to my goal!

When are they removing that pesky GB?

I love your Sophie! She's so cute! Give her a big hug for me!

Thanks. I will give her tons of hugs from everyone!! And just because I love hugging her. lol. :thumbup:

I hope your third fill is as magical as mine was! I know I am not making the challenge goal, but at least I am moving again. And now Sophie drags me out of the house twice a day for walks! lol.

I have my pre-op appointment on Tuesday with my follow-up band doctor... Dr B. Then he will schedule it. I am hoping the gallbladder comes out soon! :lol:

Sorry your PCP was so rude. Do what I did, fire her and find a new one! :thumbup:

Well, it's not infected but the dr(not my PCP, but another from the same clinic) gave me an rx for antibiotic ointment.vI talked to Dr.K today. He said not to use the ointment the dr. gave me. He said that it makes the scar too soft and prone to injury. It's not infected so I should be fine. No worries there! Thanks for asking. I'm having quite a bit of port pain though. I think I may have overdone it today. Our apartment was so messy I had to clean, it was driving me CRAZY:scared2:, so I even ended up mopping the kitchen floor. Then I had a voice student this afternoon, so I taught too. Too much too soon I guess.

Well, it's not infected but the dr(not my PCP, but another from the same clinic) gave me an rx for antibiotic ointment.vI talked to Dr.K today. He said not to use the ointment the dr. gave me. He said that it makes the scar too soft and prone to injury. It's not infected so I should be fine. No worries there! Thanks for asking. I'm having quite a bit of port pain though. I think I may have overdone it today. Our apartment was so messy I had to clean, it was driving me CRAZY:scared2:, so I even ended up mopping the kitchen floor. Then I had a voice student this afternoon, so I taught too. Too much too soon I guess.

Oh My Goodness Sunshine!

Please take it easy. You're not even 2 weeks out! Remember your weight limit for lifting. I know someone who had an internal bleed because he did too much too soon and his port pulled away from his muscle. I know how it is to see a messy house and want to clean it, but try really hard not to do too much too soon. I don't say this to scare you, but I want you to be careful. Take care of yourself. You deserve to rest and relax a little. You just had surgery, Dear.

um, yeah. what dee said. Don't make me have to come over there!!:thumbup: