Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

OMG!!! That is absolutely horrendous. Why don't they charge extra for fussy babies then? They certainly encroach on my comfort. Or how about really tall men who sit behind me and press their knees against the back of my seat? Or someone who hasn't showered recently? Or someone who wants to talk the entire time?

Amen Mini!! When I flew back from Florida last summer there was the MOST obnoxious chick sitting across from me, loudly blathering on her cell phone during boarding about all the drinking her and her friends did, and how drunk they got, and her sexual encounters....she was dressed like a prostitute too...bet they didn't charge her extra for making us all listen to her obnoxious phone calls!

Hi all bander friends!

I remember the Ayds diet candy. I was in Weight Watchers when we had to make our own Condiments, eat liver once a week, and eat fish 5 meals per week. I have been on so many diets in my life I think I should get some award. But after all of this I can honestly say that this time I'm going to make it with the help of the band AND all of you. Mini and I have the same amount to lose. I am 6 weeks 2 days post op and it is true about the first month - bad! I lost some gained a little didn't lose anything but now I've lost 17 lbs. Before the band I hadn't lost anything in almost 5 years and kept it off for more than a day or 2 that I truly believed I would fail this too. Even though I will lose slower than some (Mini we are in the same boat - age, hysterectomy, etc) I am losing and that's all that matters.

I had a non-scale victory yesterday. I had to see my primary care md about another problem and told him I had been banded. He looked at my chart for my weight loss and smiled and said he was so happy for me. He said I probably added 10 years to my life and by fall should be off all my bp & cholesterol meds. He took me off my diabetes meds (I'm not on insulin but was taking another med) and said by fall he thought I should be in diabetes remission. He doesn't think anyone is fully cured of this disease but believes I won't suffer the effects from it if I stay the course and lose another 30 lbs. I truly need to lose another 75 but he feels that 30 more will put me in a much better place. He believes I can lose 50 more this year and even then it will be slow. But he was beaming when he walked out of the room and so was I.

Brandy- I'm so glad that you may have some relief and can keep your band. You can get through this - I know you can.

Dee- I felt like crying when I read the story of the SW passenger. I can't imagine how humiliated she must have felt and still feels. That was unbelievably rude and inappropriate. I'm so sorry you are struggling with the edema and some depression. I was worried about you when you mentioned your ex being involved in your trip. You are such a giving woman and thinking of others always that I think you get the short end of the stick. Please don't stop doing those things but please take care of you!

Hi Everyone!

thank you for missing me! I've been working a lot trying to get my time in due to my vacation and I've been dealing with some depression. The time in Vegas with the ex did a real number on my emotions. AND I'm so frustrated with my dependent edema! My ankles were huge when I returned from Vegas and I had gained. I then worked the last 3 days and they are even bigger and I've gained even more weight! Anyway, I have 6 more shifts until I'm off for 4 in a row. I wonder how much I'll have to lose before I get some relief from the edema. I know it has improved about 50%, but after working and being up all day on my feet, the edema is massive. Last evening while I was giving report, I had 3+ pitting edema! Bad!

Dee,

Why do they make you work so many shifts in a row??? That is brutal!! Are you workin 12 hour shifts or 8 hour shifts? I would have pitting edema too if I had to work a gajillion days in a row!

Oh, and even though you are sad, remember that we all love you!

Hi Everyone!

thank you for missing me! I've been working a lot trying to get my time in due to my vacation and I've been dealing with some depression. The time in Vegas with the ex did a real number on my emotions. AND I'm so frustrated with my dependent edema! My ankles were huge when I returned from Vegas and I had gained. I then worked the last 3 days and they are even bigger and I've gained even more weight! Anyway, I have 6 more shifts until I'm off for 4 in a row. I wonder how much I'll have to lose before I get some relief from the edema. I know it has improved about 50%, but after working and being up all day on my feet, the edema is massive. Last evening while I was giving report, I had 3+ pitting edema! Bad!

Dee,

Why do they make you work so many shifts in a row??? That is brutal!! Are you workin 12 hour shifts or 8 hour shifts? I would have pitting edema too if I had to work a gajillion days in a row!

Oh, and even though you are sad, remember that we all love you!

I'm working Sat, Sun, doing Computer Audits on the unit on Monday AND writing a Standards of Care protocol (my fault, I volunteered!) and working Tues, Wednesday. It's only 5 days!

I counted wrong!

I volunteer too much! I'm a sucker when it comes to the unit and it's needs! Maybe that is why they gave me the SuperStar of the Month award! Yesterday this elderly woman saw my picture on the board at the hospital and saw me in the elevator... she said, "You're the Superstar!" I blushed and said, "oh no, I"m not." She looked confused and said, "But I saw your picture." I had totally forgotten about that silly picture and I said, "oh! Sorry, I guess I am!"

ARGH!

Hi all bander friends!

I remember the Ayds diet candy. I was in Weight Watchers when we had to make our own Condiments, eat liver once a week, and eat fish 5 meals per week. I have been on so many diets in my life I think I should get some award. But after all of this I can honestly say that this time I'm going to make it with the help of the band AND all of you. Mini and I have the same amount to lose. I am 6 weeks 2 days post op and it is true about the first month - bad! I lost some gained a little didn't lose anything but now I've lost 17 lbs. Before the band I hadn't lost anything in almost 5 years and kept it off for more than a day or 2 that I truly believed I would fail this too. Even though I will lose slower than some (Mini we are in the same boat - age, hysterectomy, etc) I am losing and that's all that matters.

I had a non-scale victory yesterday. I had to see my primary care md about another problem and told him I had been banded. He looked at my chart for my weight loss and smiled and said he was so happy for me. He said I probably added 10 years to my life and by fall should be off all my bp & cholesterol meds. He took me off my diabetes meds (I'm not on insulin but was taking another med) and said by fall he thought I should be in diabetes remission. He doesn't think anyone is fully cured of this disease but believes I won't suffer the effects from it if I stay the course and lose another 30 lbs. I truly need to lose another 75 but he feels that 30 more will put me in a much better place. He believes I can lose 50 more this year and even then it will be slow. But he was beaming when he walked out of the room and so was I.

Brandy- I'm so glad that you may have some relief and can keep your band. You can get through this - I know you can.

Dee- I felt like crying when I read the story of the SW passenger. I can't imagine how humiliated she must have felt and still feels. That was unbelievably rude and inappropriate. I'm so sorry you are struggling with the edema and some depression. I was worried about you when you mentioned your ex being involved in your trip. You are such a giving woman and thinking of others always that I think you get the short end of the stick. Please don't stop doing those things but please take care of you!

Congrats on your PCP visit! I bet your doctor was so proud of you! That's great about your DM Med!!! Wow!

I remember being on WW when I was in Jr. High. My Mom made all that ugly nasty liver and told me I had to eat it all! I vomited! Then I gained. My Mom said it was because I hadn't eaten the liver! The entire house smelled! My Dad loved liver! We gave the liver to him that night!

YUCK!

Then I did the Fat and Fiber WW plan... do you remember that one?

Oh yes - I had forgotten that Fat and Fiber thing. I fed the liver to the dog once and the dog threw up! I was in real trouble after that. Mom was really very helpful though and tried so hard to make it work for me. I lost a lot of weight the first time (about 35 yrs ago). But I truly thought I had nothing to worry about and gained it all back in about 4 months. With the Ayds candy I used to eat those before and after the meal. They were intended to be eaten before a meal to curb your appetite. I have eaten weird things and drunk weird things all in the name of weight loss. I had truly given up until the band.

Oh yes - I had forgotten that Fat and Fiber thing. I fed the liver to the dog once and the dog threw up! I was in real trouble after that. Mom was really very helpful though and tried so hard to make it work for me. I lost a lot of weight the first time (about 35 yrs ago). But I truly thought I had nothing to worry about and gained it all back in about 4 months. With the Ayds candy I used to eat those before and after the meal. They were intended to be eaten before a meal to curb your appetite. I have eaten weird things and drunk weird things all in the name of weight loss. I had truly given up until the band.

The funny thing about the Ayds Candy diet was that you had to eat it before a meal with a cup of coffee. I was too young for coffee according to my Mom - so I had a cup of hot water!

Sid - congrats on your PCP visit. That's fantastic!!! And 17 lbs is amazing. I would be very happy to be down 17 lbs at 6 weeks out. It took me 6 months on weight watchers to lose 20, and then another 3 months to lose 7 more.

Dee - that's so many days in a row. You're going to be exhausted. But the superstar story is hilarious.

That's cool that you found a doc who will do your arms for 4000. I've heard that's a very expensive surgery normally.

Munchkin - I am soooo annoyed by people who talk LOUDLY on cell phones on planes. ARRRGGHHH!

I drank it with hot Water too! How funny and a little sad. I was really young - probably 13 when I did that candy.< /div>

OH! I do remember that! It came in a box like a chocolate box, yes? When I was 13 my mother took me to hypnotist to try to help me lose weight. Ummmm, didn't work. I lost a ton of weight at 19 cuz I had rheumatic fever (I don't advise it as a weight loss strategy). Gained it all back as soon as I get better. Did the phen-fen thing. Gained it all back. South Beach, Atkins, WW, Jenny Craig, blah blah blah blah blah. Isn't it great that we've all spent the better part of our teen and adult years DIETING????? That really sucks.

Well, I have an appointment. TTFN. Love you guys.

OMG, I remember the Ayds diet! I forgot THAT one on my list of diets...

Did you buy the wii or the wii fit? You can get boxing, bowling, tennis games like that, they give you a good work out and they are a lot of fun. Once your ready, we can wii fit together...come on Woofay when are you getting yours?...anyone else?

Hey!

Let's post all of the different diets we've tried! NOW that we have found the BAND!

Yippie!!!

Ayds candy Diet

Weight Watchers

Fresh Carrot juice with celery and apple. Steamed parsips.

Banana/Grape and pineapple Juice diet (I'm surprised that one didn't kill me!) Can you imagine my blood sugar?

Weight Watchers Fat and Fiber

Weight Watchers Point Plan

Metabolife (max dose for a year! Lost 80lbs along with swimming and a Low Fat Diet - 30% or less total fat intake. (but I figured out IF you drank a real soda with your meals, that was 0% fat, you could eat more fat -- because the % was lower!) I lost, but gained it back afterwards!

Fasting 2 days a week -- NOTHING BY MOUTH -- Water ONLY

Forcing myself to throw up -- only did this for one week. I wasn't good at making myself throw up! Too hard!

Slim Fast

Eating One Meal a day

1000 calories a day - nothing after 4pm

Nutrisystem

Herballife

South Beach

Atkins

Dr. Oz/Roizen YOU ON A DIET

Plus all of the gym memberships that I never used! Years and Years of being a member of a gym!

OMG, I remember the Ayds diet! I forgot THAT one on my list of diets...

Did you buy the wii or the wii fit? You can get boxing, bowling, tennis games like that, they give you a good work out and they are a lot of fun. Once your ready, we can wii fit together...come on Woofay when are you getting yours?...anyone else?

The Wii Fit

But I don't have a Wii, so I have to get one of those - so I can use the Wii Fit.

OH! I do remember that! It came in a box like a chocolate box, yes? When I was 13 my mother took me to hypnotist to try to help me lose weight. Ummmm, didn't work. I lost a ton of weight at 19 cuz I had rheumatic fever (I don't advise it as a weight loss strategy). Gained it all back as soon as I get better. Did the phen-fen thing. Gained it all back. South Beach, Atkins, WW, Jenny Craig, blah blah blah blah blah. Isn't it great that we've all spent the better part of our teen and adult years DIETING????? That really sucks.

Well, I have an appointment. TTFN. Love you guys.

Oh I forgot!

The Malaria diet!

I lost about 60lbs the year I lived in Haiti AND got Malaria!

I guess you could call that the Beans and Rice and Malaria diet!

Then I returned to college and gained it all back! Plus More!

Remember when they used to sell tapeworms in the drug store as a diet aid? (Ok, so I technically am too young to remember it, but my vet told me all about it at our last appoinment!Gross!!)