Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

Brandy -- I'm glad you're ok!

LA & Lap -- WTG on your losses this week! You're working that band, peeps.

Mini -- I have 100% faith in your band success. I've been fighting obesity since age 11 (with only a 2-3 few normal BMI years thrown in there), have tried it all and, believe me, this tool works! And as the weight goes down, the desire to be more active goes up. I think being able to breathe, sleep and move easier makes the exercise part so much better. YOU CAN DO THIS! It's almost your day ~~ WOW!

Happy Friday everyone!

Heyloooooooooo to all you skinny bitches!

Apparently I have been missed?!? Thanks for the myspace message marcy!

I am still around, haven't logged into this site in FOREVER!! How is everyone? This thread has gotten way too big for me to go back to where I left off months ago.

I have been super busy with roller derby. I am now the VP of my league and seem to be involved in everything that is derby these days. I went to KC in Feb on a derby trip and was in Milwaukee last month for an annual conference for yup... derby. I am trying to figure out a way to get to Vegas next month for a girls weekend with a bunch of derby girls.

I am still not at goal. I gained some weight and have since lost what I gained and a little more. Still have about 40 pounds to go but it'll happen. I hate my job and am looking for something closer to home. Gas is killing me!

Talk to ya'll soon! :thumbs_up:

Hell yeah, you've been missed! Nice to see you here again! Okay, so from now on when we miss you, we can track you down through your Myspace...right on!

CONGRATS on the VP...NICE! I wanted to tell you that I FINALLY laced up the skates (Roller Blades too) and took a couple spins. NOT as easy as I remember! Didn't fall but YOWZAH it's a killer on the legs and claves. So, I guess I won't be a "Roller Doll" in this lifetime.

Peace Love (I adore that commercial)...lalalallalalal Peace Love!

Fabulous Friday Gals!

Mini~We have all been where you are, you can soooo work this band! We are all in this together. When you are soooo crazy excited that you have reached a goal, we are here to cheer with you. When you need a boost to get back on the Bandwagon, we will be here for that too! That is what I LOVE about this thread, we all have a common goal and we all know where we have been and where we want to be! This time next week you will be on the other side begining a new YOU!

Shelbie~Buster sends some chicken Jerky treats to Barkley and well wishes for his paw to heal.

Lap~Give em' hell, I hate dealing with Ins. I got a bill last month for like $120 and thoiught what the heck is this for, I almost just paid it so I wouldn't have to call and stress out...long story short, it was mistake! Good thing, I didn't just send it off! I can be such a whimp and give in too easily.

Marcy~WOW! WTG on your bike ride! I bought a new bike and rode it maybe twice, both times were late at night so I didn't feel like a circus act. I went to this lecture last week and the speaker was talking about how often we stop ourselves from doing what we enjoy because of the fear of what other's think...true for me sometimes...it was all about being authentic and true to yourself, I deffinatly need to work on that. That being said, I am proud of you, your bike ride inspired me to just "go for it"! Keep it going girly!

Dee~Where are you? We mis you, you know you can't NOT post for even ONE day! We need you!

Brandy~I'm praying for ya' that the unfill and the prev is the answer. I have faith in Dr. K and Tom. Take care.

good day gals!

Thanks Adorkable~

I am sure that everything was just so irritated...it is so hard to know though. Like you, I just don't want ANYTHING to happen to happen to my band. You have had a rough time yourself, Missy!!! We just need to get straightened back out so that we can reach our goals!!!

This was in another post...but thought it was good. I printed one for my fridge and one for the car!

Foods High in Protein

Shortcut: An ounce of meat or fish has approximately 7 grams of Protein.< /strong> Beef

• Hamburger patty, 4 oz – 28 grams protein
  • Steak, 6 oz – 42 grams
  • Most cuts of beef – 7 grams of protein per ounce

Chicken

• Chicken breast, 3.5 oz - 30 grams protein
  • Chicken thigh – 10 grams (for average size)
  • Drumstick – 11 grams
  • Wing – 6 grams
  • Chicken meat, cooked, 4 oz – 35 grams

Fish

• Most fish fillets or steaks are about 22 grams of protein for 3 ½ oz (100 grams) of cooked fish, or 6 grams per ounce
  • Tuna, 6 oz can - 40 grams of protein

Pork

• Pork chop, average - 22 grams protein
  • Pork loin or tenderloin, 4 oz – 29 grams
  • Ham, 3 oz serving – 19 grams
  • Ground pork, 1 oz raw – 5 grams; 3 oz cooked – 22 grams
  • Bacon, 1 slice – 3 grams
  • Canadian-style bacon (back bacon), slice – 5 – 6 grams

Eggs and Dairy

• Egg, large - 6 grams protein
  • Milk, 1 cup - 8 grams
  • Cottage cheese, ½ cup - 15 grams
  • Yogurt, 1 cup – usually 8-12 grams, check label
  • Soft cheeses (Mozzarella, Brie, Camembert) – 6 grams per oz
  • Medium cheeses (Cheddar, Swiss) – 7 or 8 grams per oz
  • Hard cheeses (Parmesan) – 10 grams per oz

Beans (including soy)

• Tofu, ½ cup 20 grams protein
  • Tofu, 1 oz, 2.3 grams
  • Soy milk, 1 cup - 6 -10 grams
  • Most Beans (black, pinto, lentils, etc) about 7-10 grams protein per half cup of cooked beans
  • Soy beans, ½ cup cooked – 14 grams protein
  • Split peas, ½ cup cooked – 8 grams

Nuts and Seeds

• Peanut butter, 2 Tablespoons - 8 grams protein
  • Almonds, ¼ cup – 8 grams
  • Peanuts, ¼ cup – 9 grams
  • Cashews, ¼ cup – 5 grams
  • Pecans, ¼ cup – 2.5 grams
  • Sunflower seeds, ¼ cup – 6 grams
  • Pumpkin seeds, ¼ cup – 19 grams
  • Flax seeds – ¼ cup – 8 grams

Brandy~Thanks for the Protein list, great, great, great! and Buster thanks you, he lives for melting peoples hearts!

Post Date: 6/27/08 10:38 am

This was posted on another LapBand site. I think it's important for us to be aware of how the overweight of our society are being treated!

One of the ladies on the lap band board suggested I put this out there for everyone. Here is my experience....after you read it, if you feel compelled, please write or call and make a complaint. If it can happen to me, it can happen to anyone and I think that is appalling!!

Southwest Airlines is tauting it's greatness on their website because they aren't charging passengers for bags or Snacks or other amenities like other airlines are doing---however, the don't mention what they ARE doing is much worse! I was sitting in the airport with my husband and kids waiting for our flight to NY. We were all playing games on our cell phones, my daughter was coloring, when a woman from Southwest walks up and asks if I'm flying out that day? I said yes. She said, "can you come with me for just a moment?" I went, thinking stupidly maybe this was a survey or something. NOT! When we got to the counter she said, "I'm going to have to ask you to purchase another ticket today." Just like that. I said "what??!" She handed me a piece of paper--mind you, this is all being done "quietly," she's almost whispering--which said basically that "Customers of Size" maybe be asked to purchase another ticket for the "safety and comfort of themselves and those around them." When I explained I bought an ENTIRE row of tickets (3) and another one so I would not be "encroaching" on anyone's space but my 38 pound 5-year-old, she said, "it doesn't matter, if you can't fit comfortably in the seat without encroaching on others you have to pay for an additional fare." I told her we just flew in December and I fit fine, snuggly, but fine. I said, "I've even lost 30 pounds since then!" When I continued to argue that I would NOT pay a fee, she said we could pre-board and she could "see if I fit." As we are standing waiting to "pre-board" while others are disembarking the plane, she says to me, "it's a pretty full flight, if it winds up that it is completely full we will refund your ticket fare." Now let me get this straight, your policy is to make fat people pay for another ticket so as not to cause "discomfort" for them, but if there aren't enough seats and you can sell one more stinking ticket then you don't care about their comfort?? TELL ME HOW THIS IS NOT ABOUT MONEY!!!!! We went to pre-board, mind you there are still people on the plane who were traveling to our first stop--17 to be exact. Several of those, and the crew WATCHED her HUMILIATE me and measure to see if I fit. When I did, again, snuggly, she said "well you are still a little over the armrest there." Again I said, "and it makes no difference to ANYONE else because my daughter and husband will be sitting here next to me!!!!!! She said (very condesendingly) "I'm going to go ahead and make an exception this time but just know in the future that this is our policy. I want to congratulate you on your weight loss." I stopped her mid sentence actually, saying, "you know what? You aren't making an exception, you've done enough to humiliate me and ruin my trip so if we're done here I don't want to hear your "congratulations" just leave me alone." Then, get this, she said, "well, I can take your credit card if you like." SHE'S THREATENING ME BECAUSE I DIDN'T TAKE HER CONDESENDING CONGRATULATIONS!!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? I said, "is that a threat? Because if it is, I won't stop at just this ticket, I'll have your job before it's over with. Everyone of these people, who you've just humiliated me in front of heard you say we were done and there would be no fee. Now because I don't bow down and take your crappy, insincere congratulations you're threatening me? (turning to another gentleman standing there) Sir, can you write you name down for me so I can report this to her supervisor?" She said, "that won't be necessary, I said it was fine." And left. Meanwhile, everyone is finally able to board--including my family who she stopped at the gate--and I start to BAWL like a BABY!!!! If you knew me, you'd know I'm not generally a cryer. I'm pretty tough, especially when dealing with people about my weight, but I totally LOST it. I cried most of the trip and we've been here two days and I'm actually having nightmares about having to go back to the airport and dealing with this **** again!!! Anyone who thinks airlines are not trying to stick it to "customers of size" are full of it! They can say all they want how they aren't charging extra for things--no, just people. Is this the last acceptable form of discrimination???

Here is the customer relations line to call and complain about their policy for "Customers of Size" (214) 792-4223 or their address is: Gary C. Kelly, Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer Southwest Airlines, P.O. Box 36647 1CR, Dallas, TX 75235-1647

We CAN make a difference and even though we are losing, we shouldn't let that deter us from doing something for others who might face this in the future! Thanks!

Post Date: 6/27/08 10:38 am

This was posted on another LapBand site. I think it's important for us to be aware of how the overweight of our society are being treated!

One of the ladies on the lap band board suggested I put this out there for everyone. Here is my experience....after you read it, if you feel compelled, please write or call and make a complaint. If it can happen to me, it can happen to anyone and I think that is appalling!!

Southwest Airlines is tauting it's greatness on their website because they aren't charging passengers for bags or Snacks or other amenities like other airlines are doing---however, the don't mention what they ARE doing is much worse! I was sitting in the airport with my husband and kids waiting for our flight to NY. We were all playing games on our cell phones, my daughter was coloring, when a woman from Southwest walks up and asks if I'm flying out that day? I said yes. She said, "can you come with me for just a moment?" I went, thinking stupidly maybe this was a survey or something. NOT! When we got to the counter she said, "I'm going to have to ask you to purchase another ticket today." Just like that. I said "what??!" She handed me a piece of paper--mind you, this is all being done "quietly," she's almost whispering--which said basically that "Customers of Size" maybe be asked to purchase another ticket for the "safety and comfort of themselves and those around them." When I explained I bought an ENTIRE row of tickets (3) and another one so I would not be "encroaching" on anyone's space but my 38 pound 5-year-old, she said, "it doesn't matter, if you can't fit comfortably in the seat without encroaching on others you have to pay for an additional fare." I told her we just flew in December and I fit fine, snuggly, but fine. I said, "I've even lost 30 pounds since then!" When I continued to argue that I would NOT pay a fee, she said we could pre-board and she could "see if I fit." As we are standing waiting to "pre-board" while others are disembarking the plane, she says to me, "it's a pretty full flight, if it winds up that it is completely full we will refund your ticket fare." Now let me get this straight, your policy is to make fat people pay for another ticket so as not to cause "discomfort" for them, but if there aren't enough seats and you can sell one more stinking ticket then you don't care about their comfort?? TELL ME HOW THIS IS NOT ABOUT MONEY!!!!! We went to pre-board, mind you there are still people on the plane who were traveling to our first stop--17 to be exact. Several of those, and the crew WATCHED her HUMILIATE me and measure to see if I fit. When I did, again, snuggly, she said "well you are still a little over the armrest there." Again I said, "and it makes no difference to ANYONE else because my daughter and husband will be sitting here next to me!!!!!! She said (very condesendingly) "I'm going to go ahead and make an exception this time but just know in the future that this is our policy. I want to congratulate you on your weight loss." I stopped her mid sentence actually, saying, "you know what? You aren't making an exception, you've done enough to humiliate me and ruin my trip so if we're done here I don't want to hear your "congratulations" just leave me alone." Then, get this, she said, "well, I can take your credit card if you like." SHE'S THREATENING ME BECAUSE I DIDN'T TAKE HER CONDESENDING CONGRATULATIONS!!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? I said, "is that a threat? Because if it is, I won't stop at just this ticket, I'll have your job before it's over with. Everyone of these people, who you've just humiliated me in front of heard you say we were done and there would be no fee. Now because I don't bow down and take your crappy, insincere congratulations you're threatening me? (turning to another gentleman standing there) Sir, can you write you name down for me so I can report this to her supervisor?" She said, "that won't be necessary, I said it was fine." And left. Meanwhile, everyone is finally able to board--including my family who she stopped at the gate--and I start to BAWL like a BABY!!!! If you knew me, you'd know I'm not generally a cryer. I'm pretty tough, especially when dealing with people about my weight, but I totally LOST it. I cried most of the trip and we've been here two days and I'm actually having nightmares about having to go back to the airport and dealing with this **** again!!! Anyone who thinks airlines are not trying to stick it to "customers of size" are full of it! They can say all they want how they aren't charging extra for things--no, just people. Is this the last acceptable form of discrimination???

Here is the customer relations line to call and complain about their policy for "Customers of Size" (214) 792-4223 or their address is: Gary C. Kelly, Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer Southwest Airlines, P.O. Box 36647 1CR, Dallas, TX 75235-1647

We CAN make a difference and even though we are losing, we shouldn't let that deter us from doing something for others who might face this in the future! Thanks!

OMG!!! That is absolutely horrendous. Why don't they charge extra for fussy babies then? They certainly encroach on my comfort. Or how about really tall men who sit behind me and press their knees against the back of my seat? Or someone who hasn't showered recently? Or someone who wants to talk the entire time?

Hey, thanks for the pep talks, guys. I don't know why I'm having so much self doubt right now. I just keep thinking that I will be a huge lap band failure or something and won't lose a thing. It's ridiculous. Of course I'll lose. It may not be as quickly or as much as I'd like, but I will lose weight. Without the band I would continue to gain and gain until I finally died from weight related health issues. So, um, yeah. I need to quit beating myself up here and just go for it.

Hi Everyone!

thank you for missing me! I've been working a lot trying to get my time in due to my vacation and I've been dealing with some depression. The time in Vegas with the ex did a real number on my emotions. AND I'm so frustrated with my dependent edema! My ankles were huge when I returned from Vegas and I had gained. I then worked the last 3 days and they are even bigger and I've gained even more weight! Anyway, I have 6 more shifts until I'm off for 4 in a row. I wonder how much I'll have to lose before I get some relief from the edema. I know it has improved about 50%, but after working and being up all day on my feet, the edema is massive. Last evening while I was giving report, I had 3+ pitting edema! Bad!

Mini, thanks for your sweetness! I appreciate it! AND I can't believe your surgery date is almost here! I'll pop down to see you on Wednesday! Should I bring my camera for a pre-op goofy picture?

Brandy, I'm glad to hear that you're doing better! I hope the med and slight unfil does the trick! thanks for the Protein list! I am so addicted to www.fitday.com. It helps me make sure I'm getting my protein in.

Dork, let us know how your US comes out. I hope it's your Gallbladder and you can get in there and get that baby out!

Mal! I bought a Wii last night from another Lap Bander who bought three of them to share with others who couldn't find them. She is so cute! She called me and it is on it's way! I know I exceed the weight limit, but by the end of fall, I should be able to use it! I love your Buster! He's so cute!

Munchkin, I'm here! :)

Lap, I need to get in and get my arms and knees done. The lower stomach causes my lower back to hurt a lot when I work. It's funny, the pain in other areas have improved since losing, but it's now other discomforts. My arms are the worst, I've ever seen anywhere. I consulted with a surgeon and he said if the insurance didn't cover my arms now, he'd just charge me $4K. I hope your insurance comes through for you! they should! YOU paid for your Band! They can now pay for your PS.

Fatwidow, did you find a hotel? Let me check on my way home tomorrow night. I don't think there is anything on Parker except those near the hospital. Holiday Inn Select and Hampton Inn. Are you renting a car? What is the date of your surgery again?

Hi Shelbi! I just wanted to say HI AND I love your new Avatar!

Bye for now,

dee~

OMG!!! That is absolutely horrendous. Why don't they charge extra for fussy babies then? They certainly encroach on my comfort. Or how about really tall men who sit behind me and press their knees against the back of my seat? Or someone who hasn't showered recently? Or someone who wants to talk the entire time?

My question about this Southwest Airlines thing is this, IF she had to pay for an extra ticket, were they going to give her an extra seat? BUT she was told that the plane was full! Where were they going to get the extra seat? I think it was hatefully handled and just biased against the obese. I agree! The taller men are very intrusive on my area, the fussy and active children can be very irritating and those who snore, fart, polish their toe nails and haven't bathed are all intrusive!

My question about this Southwest Airlines thing is this, IF she had to pay for an extra ticket, were they going to give her an extra seat? BUT she was told that the plane was full! Where were they going to get the extra seat? I think it was hatefully handled and just biased against the obese. I agree! The taller men are very intrusive on my area, the fussy and active children can be very irritating and those who snore, fart, polish their toe nails and haven't bathed are all intrusive!

No doubt! It just amazes me how we discriminate against certain segments of society without even batting an eyelash.

Hey, thanks for the pep talks, guys. I don't know why I'm having so much self doubt right now. I just keep thinking that I will be a huge lap band failure or something and won't lose a thing. It's ridiculous. Of course I'll lose. It may not be as quickly or as much as I'd like, but I will lose weight. Without the band I would continue to gain and gain until I finally died from weight related health issues. So, um, yeah. I need to quit beating myself up here and just go for it.

Mini,

I remember after being banded, I had gained. It was the Fluid from the IV and my body adjusting to the surgery. Then I lost all that I had gained and a little more. When I started on solids, I gained again. I cried silently at night in my room with the door closed... because I felt, I've done all of this and I'll be obese forever! I never let anyone know that I feared being a Band Failure. It was too expensive and too much trouble for it not work! I would have been so ashamed!

BUT then I got ahold of myself, sat down, typed out the rules, put them on my refrigerator, made a "weigh station" with my calendar, a pen and my scale. I plotted out my work out routine and I got involved with www.fitday.com. And I vowed, I wasn't going to fail! It hasn't been easy, but it hasn't been impossible. I know you can do it! I have faith in you!!

AND if I can do it, you can! I have been obese since I was a pre-teen-ager. I lost weight and then gained it and more back after I had my daughter! AFTER, not before! I only gained 8lbs with my pregnancy BECAUSE I threw up EVERY STINKING day for 9 months!

I remember being on a diet when I was 10 years old! Does anyone remember the Ayds Diet candy? (is that how you spell it?)