Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

Shelbi-so what do you think of spinning classes other than your arse hurting? My husband (who is a cyclist) tells me that goes away as you get used to it. I have looked into joining the Golds Gym here because they have spinning classes. I have a brand new spinning bike in my basement that I have never used! I hear it is way more fun to do it in a group spinning class though! I already have cycling shoes and shorts, so I am ready to go! (The hazards of being married to a cyclist...)

I love the class -- it's great cardio and alot of fun! My sister loaned me a gel cover for the seat and it was MUCH better. My sister says the seat doesn't bother her at all now -- I guess you do get used to it. And today I'm not sore -- it went away quickly whereas last time I was in a major hurt for 2 days. I go to the class that doesn't have any hardcore cyclists (too intimidating for me) -- they all go to the 5:30 AM class I think. Go and wear the shorts -- you'll have a blast. I can't do all of the stuff the instructors do yet, but there are others in the class who are at the same place as me and nobody seems to notice because there is music going and the lights are low, etc. Take a bottle of Water with you -- I drink at least a bottle of water during class. The instructor yells "Water up! Towel off! Woo Hoo!"LOL. You are lucky to have a spin bike at home -- I'm jealous!!! I have one of the old Airdyne (Sp?) Schwinns, so if I try to stand to sprint like they do in class I'd probably flip it. Try the class and let me know what you think.

I wish I had done that, I don't even have any good before pictures!

Me neither! I do have a shot of my band and my liver that Dr. K took during the procedure, if I can only find the darn disposable camera that I had in Denver. Of course, I left my digital at home. And I wonder how my kids ended up with attention problems......

I am here, I am here!!! I did have a baseball game after dinner...You all are SO very sweet to be worried...I didn't mean to worry you.

I met with Dr. K...he didn't do an exam or an ultrasound, but said based on what I am explaining he thinks it is all muscular. I am going in to see my PCP because I just don't feel right. I am completely wiped out, my back hurts, my stomach, my port etc... He doesn't think that I have slipped because I am not throwing up (THANK GOD!!)

I did this morning but it was because I took my kids to the free movie, choked on popcorn and had to take a drink. Huge mistake.

I am happy that he thinks that is all muscular but I need to figure out what is wrong. I am usually raring to go and I don't want to do ANYTHING!!!

I did meet 4 gals who are getting banded today...2 from TN and 2 from NE. Hopefully they will post. They were so excited and it was fun to share with them. Natalie kept telling me to tell them everything that I am the "star patient"!!

Hope everyone else is doing great!! I am going to take a nap...again!

I am so relieved that the band behaved!!!!!!!!!!!! Now, please tell me you've pooped! Really, you don't have to, of course. But the nurse and the mama in me are dying to know. My sister tells me I talk about poop too much, but I think it's a very important body function. My dad gives me an update on his eating/pooping at every visit without fail -- that's his main topic of discussion and I guess I've inherited that from him.

Shelbi - not sure what is happening with your son (we never had that talk) but it sounds like signing up for a GED course was a wonderful thing. .......

I still want to pick your brain and get your opinions! I just haven't gotten it done yet (story of my life!). But long story short, my oldest is on the Autism Spectrum -- PDD-NOS, specifically. He's 17 and was diagnosed at age 4. It has been a very interesting ride, to say the least! This past year has pretty much been, well, hellish. My hubs is probably Asperger's, but has never been diagnosed and my youngest is the poster child for ADHD. Throw in my tendency for depression/attention problems and we've got our own little "group home" going here!! (I don't know how Barkley deals with us -- he's like the calm pack leader. ) I am very interested in Schizophrenia, because that disorder is in my extended family and I believe that all the neuro stuff (autism, schizophrenia, alzheimer's, etc.) is connected. That's really why I need to get your opinions -- I know neuro is your specialty and you seem to have a good handle on your son's situation; I want to be Mini's mini-me (haha)

Update on Barkley -- my boy is home and sleeping right beside me with a cute little blue cast on his foot! I'm missed him so much~~but he's doing well. He talked all the way home -- more like a moan/howl -- trying to tell me what had happened. I always worry when he's away that he thinks he's been abandoned again, because when he sees me he tries to talk and tell me what he's been through. Bless his heart.

Good Night sweethearts, well, it's time to go!

Oompa loompas were creepy, and bad dressers to boot!!

Shelbi-I love that Barkley talks to you! I was very fearful when I took Bailey to the vet when he seized that he would think I was abandoning him. I have had him since he was a pup, so he doesn't have any reason to think I would abandon him, but still...I will probably freak if I ever have to leave Jake or Brutus at the vet because they will think I am abandoning them! Lord only knows they think I am abandoning them everytime I go to work. I don't know which one is more pathetic with their big, sad, droopy eyes! I explain to them every night that I have to work so I can buy all their dog food, toys, flea and heartworm medication, and Beggin Strips, but sigh...they don't care! :embaressed_smile:

Edited by munchkin392
Needed to add to my post (imagine that)!

Good lord ladies... y'all are a chatty bunch!!! lol. :lol:

I waterskiied for the 1st time in 16 years. Finally got rid of 50+ lbs and could get my fat as_ up outta the Water. I was so happy and everyone in the boat was hooting & holleran. It was the coolest. :lol:

That is SO awesome Bahot!!! :embaressed_smile: I am so proud of you and so excited for you. I want to learn how to waterski! When I get to a weight where I can I am taking lessons from you. Another thing to add to my list!

So...obviously, I got banded for me. Not for anybody else. But it is nice to get compliments on your hard work, right? My DH has pointed out some things and he sees me every day. A co-worker has said things and she sees me five days a week. Supposedly, weight loss is more noticeable to people who don't see you every day.

This weekend I was at my parents' house (the third time I have seen them since being banded) and not a word. I am down 50 pounds and three sizes, surely it's obvious? I have a long way to go still, but really? Nothing? Either they don't notice or they don't want to say anything. Nothing stopped them (especially my father) from pointing out how fat I was on some occasions in the past.

I am sorry your family hasn't been more supportive to you. I agree with what someone else said... they are probably jealous. I think some family members get so used to us being the fat ones in the family, they aren't sure where we or they fit in anymore when we start shedding the weight.

WE are proud of you and your attitude! You go girl! :lol:

Hi All,

Ok..lets start with the bad news. Up 1 lb this week but it is TOM so maybe that is a factor. I sure hope so and I can share better news next week. Ugh! Funny story about TOM.....for the longest time as I was reading these threads I thought you guys were refering to Tom (the PA in Dr K's Office). I couldn't figure out why everyone was blaming their weight gains on him. I just made a mental note to never get a fill from him:-) Duh!!!

LMAO about TOM and Tom. Heee hee. Too cute. Don't worry about the 1 pound, I am sure it will be gone next week with a couple of his evil friends.

Well, I'm back from Vegas. We had a wonderful time. I returned however, with a lot of mixed feelings. I invited my ex to come with us -- mostly because I felt my daughter would appreciate having her father there to Celebrate her milestone birthday, secondly because our past vacations as a family, weren't always that enjoyable. I wanted my daughter to have one good memory of a family vacation. I can now say, this was a good vacation for her. For that I am very happy.

I, however, have had a very difficult time since returning. I need to stop torturing myself. Allowing my ex to continue communcating with me regularly is something I need to stop. I will always love him but it's time for me to move on and let go of my marriage and the hope I have of having him in my life. He's a good man, he's the father of my daughter and the man I was married to for over 22 years, but he doesn't love me - I honestly doubt he ever did. I think he was close to me for many reasons, but loving me in a romantic, affectionate way, I don't think he ever did.

Awww Dee. (((GIANT HUGS)))

I am sorry that your trip was an emotional rollercoaster for you. How unselfish of you to include your ex so your daughters Birthday was the best it could be.

I think the greatest gift you could give to yourself is to let him go, set yourself free. My mom never let go when her and my dad divorced and she is alone and unhappy. I ache for her... but I cannot fix it.

You deserve to be happy and have someone in your life you LOVES you back with every cell of his body.

I still want to pick your brain and get your opinions! I just haven't gotten it done yet (story of my life!). But long story short, my oldest is on the Autism Spectrum -- PDD-NOS, specifically. He's 17 and was diagnosed at age 4. It has been a very interesting ride, to say the least! This past year has pretty much been, well, hellish. My hubs is probably Asperger's, but has never been diagnosed and my youngest is the poster child for ADHD. Throw in my tendency for depression/attention problems and we've got our own little "group home" going here!! (I don't know how Barkley deals with us -- he's like the calm pack leader. ) I am very interested in Schizophrenia, because that disorder is in my extended family and I believe that all the neuro stuff (autism, schizophrenia, alzheimer's, etc.) is connected. That's really why I need to get your opinions -- I know neuro is your specialty and you seem to have a good handle on your son's situation; I want to be Mini's mini-me (haha)

Update on Barkley -- my boy is home and sleeping right beside me with a cute little blue cast on his foot! I'm missed him so much~~but he's doing well. He talked all the way home -- more like a moan/howl -- trying to tell me what had happened. I always worry when he's away that he thinks he's been abandoned again, because when he sees me he tries to talk and tell me what he's been through. Bless his heart.

Good Night sweethearts, well, it's time to go!

Oh my. Well, you really have a handful to deal with. I'm don't know that I have such a great handle on this stuff . . . I certainly have my share of feeling completely overwhelmed and ill-prepared. It's one thing to know about this stuff academically and another to live with it everyday. I think your hypothesis about all the stuff being related is an interesting one . . . not a ton of empirical evidence to tie them together at this point, although the attention/depression/anxiety link is definitely showing up in the neuro literature. And schizophrenia involves, in part, the same part of the brain involved in executive attention. Everything in the brain is so interconnected that it's really tough to isolate a disorder to one specific area. Maybe someday we'll be able to do it, but not now.

Barkley is adorable!! I"m glad he's feeling better. When we leave our dog, she doesn't speak to us for days. She turns her head away when we look at her and pretends that we don't exist. Then she'll finally break down and come and do the whining, yipping thing to let us know that she's mad at us. She even nips my husband's hands (gently, of course). Silly puppies.

I'm not sure you want to be my mini-me. But that really cracked me up!

Oh yeah... sorry. I had my US on Monday. They said it will be about 4 days until I get results from my Doctor. I will let y'all know as soon as I hear. I am feeling good though! No repeats yet!

I have a fill scheduled for Tuesday and I cannot WAIT! I am desperately seeking restriction. I have none. Just a teensy tiny bit if I chew too fast with chicken, but otherwise everything goes down fine. Frustrating!

Oompa loompas were creepy, and bad dressers to boot!!

Shelbi-I love that Barkley talks to you! I was very fearful when I took Bailey to the vet when he seized that he would think I was abandoning him. I have had him since he was a pup, so he doesn't have any reason to think I would abandon him, but still...I will probably freak if I ever have to leave Jake or Brutus at the vet because they will think I am abandoning them! Lord only knows they think I am abandoning them everytime I go to work. I don't know which one is more pathetic with their big, sad, droopy eyes! I explain to them every night that I have to work so I can buy all their dog food, toys, flea and heartworm medication, and Beggin Strips, but sigh...they don't care! :embaressed_smile:

Dogs are just SO non-appreciative. GEEZ!!

Oh yeah... sorry. I had my US on Monday. They said it will be about 4 days until I get results from my Doctor. I will let y'all know as soon as I hear. I am feeling good though! No repeats yet!

I have a fill scheduled for Tuesday and I cannot WAIT! I am desperately seeking restriction. I have none. Just a teensy tiny bit if I chew too fast with chicken, but otherwise everything goes down fine. Frustrating!

OOO, I'm glad you're feeling better. That's a good good thing. And a fill will be great. Man, you've lost a lot of weight. Good job!

OOO, I'm glad you're feeling better. That's a good good thing. And a fill will be great. Man, you've lost a lot of weight. Good job!

Thanks Mini. :lol: Funny thing is I have plateaued out this month and feel like I am doing horrible. I have a hard time looking at the big picture! :embaressed_smile:

Thanks Mini. :lol: Funny thing is I have plateaued out this month and feel like I am doing horrible. I have a hard time looking at the big picture! :embaressed_smile:
Well, you're like a third of the way to your goal, yes? That's amazing. When's the last time you lost 65 lbs in 6 months? I'm sure the fill will do the trick and you'll be on your merry losing way again.

Well, you're like a third of the way to your goal, yes? That's amazing. When's the last time you lost 65 lbs in 6 months? I'm sure the fill will do the trick and you'll be on your merry losing way again.

True, true. Thanks for the perspective. :embaressed_smile:

Hello All:

Blowing a kiss to the puppies out there. Dogs and cats are precious.

I wanted to share an update on my progress with the plastic surgery.

My restriction is spot on but even though my feet no longer hurt, my upper back between my shoulders and at the base of my neck as well as my BACK can't take the exhursion. I'm popping Extra Strength Tylenol and sucking it up. When that kicks in I get up and do the housework what little lifting I can.

My weightloss is down to a crawl. I KNOW it ain't restriction. The band is doing it's job I just am not able to increase my physical activity.

I've still got the occasional rash underneath the skin (FRUMUNDA) and my breasts are not reducing in size like I thought they would. I'm going for a reduction and having my penn. removed to allow myself the ability to MOVE.

Called my insurance today and ended up with a supervisor who GOT what I was trying to explain. I had the name of five surgeons in Florida who did bariatric reduction who understand the situation with our skin/healing/ ports and so forth. None were on my insurance. Insurance told me if they can't find anyone who is able to do the surgery in network, I am to find someone with the qualifications and then go through my doctor here in Florida. I know the drill, the letter, the wait, probably an appeal, maybe not. I have far too much fight in my now to go back. I've made so much progress.

So that's my update. I'll keep you posted.

Have a great week...weigh in is in the morning.

Lap~ How exciting!! I hope you can find a surgeon in your network or get one accepted that is outside.