Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

My turn for a drive-by post. I'm off to do the documentary thing with my son! Munchkin - can I just tell you how much I admire nurses? Concert sounds like a blast. I'll keep in mind about the alcohol.

Dee- what a gorgeous pic and a great story.

Lifesaver - woohoo! -2!!!

Brandy - I thought I was the only one who used my treadmill as a drying rack.

Lap- wonderful stuff. Just talking about addiction with son and how important it is to put the past behind you. Your post was perfect timing.

SHELBI- good luck today! Let us know how things go!!!

Good Luck with your Documentary!

I think it's great!

Ok...I defiantly stepped on my scale this morning dreading what I was about to witness, when behold I saw a -2 instead of the +2 I was expecting. However....since I was supposed to weigh on Saturday, my weight loss was probably actually 1.5 at that point. Thanks for tracking our #'s Dee!

Congrats on your 2 lbs loss!

And thanks -- I was much younger and thinner than!

Just a younger Squirrel!

Thoughts for today

Developing Self-Control

2008/06/17

Like a city whose walls are broken down is a man who lacks self-control. Proverbs 25:28 (NIV)

Self-control brings with it the good feeling of competency. Like a finely-tuned precision automobile, your life stays on course with the slightest touch of steering. The results of self-control are confidence and an inner sense of security.

Self-control and self-discipline are also key factors in any success you hope to have in this life. Without self-discipline, you are unlikely to achieve anything of lasting value.

The Apostle Paul realized this when he wrote, “Every athlete in training submits to strict discipline, in order to be crowned with a wreath that will not last; but we do it for one that will last forever.” (1 Corinthians 9:25 GNT)

Olympic athletes train for years in order to have a chance to win a brief moment of glory. But the race we are running is far more important than any earthly athletic event. So self-control is not optional for Christians.

How do we gain true self-control?

1. Admit your problem. The starting point for developing self-control is to face what God has already said about me: I am responsible for my behavior.

James 1:14 (PH) says, “A man’s temptation is due to the pull of his own inward desires, which can be enormously attractive.”

Do you realize what that says? It says you do things because you like to do them! When I do something I know is bad for me, I still do it because I like to do it. I want to do it; it’s an inner desire.

Do you want more self-control? Admit you have a problem and be specific about it. Begin praying specifically about your problem areas.

2. Put your past behind you. Philippians 3:13-14 (NIV) says, “Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal ….”

This verse exposes a misconception that will keep you from gaining self-control: Once a failure, always a failure.

Failure in the past does not mean you’ll never be able to change. Focusing on past failures, however, does guarantee their repetition. It’s like driving a car and looking in the rearview mirror the whole time. You’re going to collide with what’s ahead of you.

Ask God to help you put your past behind you.

thank you so much LapDancer!

I needed that today! My addiction was so bad this last month. I'm ashamed of myself!

I'm going to go and weigh myself. I know TOM is coming, so I kind of want to see what's happening with the scale!

Aloha mi banditos!

Whew, can I catch up??...lets see

Dee~Your letter was touching, thank you for sharing that with us. All of the posts had me thinking...I live blocks away from my father and we have a good relationship, we see each other often (but not often enough). I wrote him a nice letter in his card this year, thanks gals for the boost. I thanked him for the good times and let him know that I appreciate him very much!

Vegas...I hope the Vegas faries bring you good fortunes$$$ Have a blue slushie drink for me and Woofay....yummmy!

Your picture is adorable! I would have to do some research and scanning (too much work) to post an old picture of me, but I will try...

Adorkable~Your picture with your FIL is sooooo sweet! You look amazing and he looks so happy to be with you. I don't think I could make it through the movie Bucket List.

Woof~So when is your Aniversary? I know you will enjoy your wii fit. I am trying so hard to unlock all of my extras. I just wish it would move along faster. I also wish it had seperate workout programs.

Oh and thanks for asking about my Buster. He is feeling muck like his old self. We have been walk/running the last two days and he seems to tire out easier. I am so happy he is feeling better.

Deb~Your post helped me with remembering some special times with my father. Thanks for sharing.

Mini~How were the drinks? You can always drink one of anything for me (I allow myself a drink every now and then).

Shelbie~How did thing go with your hubby today? Keep us posted on how he is doing.

Lap~thaks for the self control info and putting the past behind. Two difficult things to beat!

I hope you all are having a positive day!

Good news today! I had gone up 1.5 lbs. on our challenge, but I've lost that AND another lb.!!! Now, just have to keep it off for the "official" weigh-in on Saturday!

Weather in Nome is awful! It's been misty/foggy for SEVERAL days. As you know, there are no roads here so everything (mail, groceries, medicines, tourists, etc.) come by plane. Well, we usually have 3 flights a day here and we've had SEVEN in a row cancel! That means the grocery store is getting sparse...glad I switched to powdered milk a few weeks ago (milk is about $7.50/gal so I went the cheap route...heck, it's cheaper to drink GAS! And that's $4.26/gal right now - that'll go up about $2 next week though because the barge just came in with our fuel). It's just LOVELY living out in the middle of nowhere!!!

I was just looking at my ticker and realized that I'm MORE - much MORE - than halfway to goal! My goal is really just a number I came up with and I should change it because, really, 200 is my goal, not 180...but I'm going to leave it and see what happens.

Thanks everyone!

I'm almost a year out and haven't gained a lb! Realistically, I did the surgery to NOT gain anymore. So I've lost! BONUS! I will NEVER weight that much again...EVER! So sweet it is!

I was just looking at my ticker and realized that I'm MORE - much MORE - than halfway to goal! My goal is really just a number I came up with and I should change it because, really, 200 is my goal, not 180...but I'm going to leave it and see what happens.

Thanks everyone!

I'm almost a year out and haven't gained a lb! Realistically, I did the surgery to NOT gain anymore. So I've lost! BONUS! I will NEVER weight that much again...EVER! So sweet it is!

Marcy!! That's awesome! What a great feeling! Congratulations on your success.

And if they aren't able to fly any groceries into Nome, you'll reach your goal before you know it :tongue:

Marcy!! That's awesome! What a great feeling! Congratulations on your success.

And if they aren't able to fly any groceries into Nome, you'll reach your goal before you know it :lol:

Thanks! Way to be optimistic there Mini!!!

:tongue:

I remember being a size 3, 108 pound junior in high school. Dieting like crazy before the home coming dance.

I would love to be there now...

Dee: Loved the story about young "love"....you were a cougar cub and didn't know it! i think back to h.s. and i weighed 150 (5/6") and was considered too fat for anyone to want to date me, so I became the class clown. which was okay but i did miss some of the events that i wanted to attend. oh, well....

Mini: how did the documentary taping go? what an opportunity to get people educated. You mentioned you're a professor. Of what and where, may I ask? (It is difficult being new to this as y'all know each other's history already and probably hate repeating stuff:sad: I also don't understand some of the abbreviations: DH??)

Marcy: Since I am new, might I ask how it is that you came to be in such an isolated place? I can't imagine the fortitude it must take to live under such restrictions! Good on ya!:tongue:

I remember being a size 3, 108 pound junior in high school. Dieting like crazy before the home coming dance.

I would love to be there now...

I was 108 once! In, ummm, 5th grade, maybe??

Dee: Loved the story about young "love"....you were a cougar cub and didn't know it! i think back to h.s. and i weighed 150 (5/6") and was considered too fat for anyone to want to date me, so I became the class clown. which was okay but i did miss some of the events that i wanted to attend. oh, well....

Mini: how did the documentary taping go? what an opportunity to get people educated. You mentioned you're a professor. Of what and where, may I ask? (It is difficult being new to this as y'all know each other's history already and probably hate repeating stuff:sad: I also don't understand some of the abbreviations: DH??)

Marcy: Since I am new, might I ask how it is that you came to be in such an isolated place? I can't imagine the fortitude it must take to live under such restrictions! Good on ya!:)

The documentary taping was really good. They will be showing it at a big benefit event at the UN in the fall. We may end up on the cutting room floor, but maybe not! Who knows?

I teach cognitive neuroscience and psychology at a small liberal arts college in SLC (Westminster College). I love it. I have very small classes and am able to get really close to my students. I also help run a summer research camp for first-generation, low-income and/or underrepresented minority students who are interested in pursuing doctoral studies. And tonight I'm talking to a group of 8th grade girls about brain development! So I wear lots of hats and I really find it fulfilling. During the academic year I barely have time to breathe, but summers are nice and laid back. That's why I have time right now to be on this board day and night!! Obsession??? Umm, a little :lol::lol::lol:

The documentary taping was really good. They will be showing it at a big benefit event at the UN in the fall. We may end up on the cutting room floor, but maybe not! Who knows?

I teach cognitive neuroscience and psychology at a small liberal arts college in SLC (Westminster College). I love it. I have very small classes and am able to get really close to my students. I also help run a summer research camp for first-generation, low-income and/or underrepresented minority students who are interested in pursuing doctoral studies. And tonight I'm talking to a group of 8th grade girls about brain development! So I wear lots of hats and I really find it fulfilling. During the academic year I barely have time to breathe, but summers are nice and laid back. That's why I have time right now to be on this board day and night!! Obsession??? Umm, a little :):lol::lol:

Wow! Neuroscience is such a fascinating area. As I was ending my teaching career (high school English), the staff was being inserviced more and more about brain science and connection to education. I love the fact that young girls are being exposed to the possibilities of careers in science and math. Such a thing wasn't in the realm of possibility when I was in jr. high (mid-1960s). In h.s. I was basically given three options: nurse (ouch..faint at the sight of blood); secretary (got kicked out of bookkeeping); and teaching. Well, there really was only one option. Wanted to teach history but the realilty of late '60s was only men (read: coaches) taught social science. Second area: English. Oh, well, stayed there for 32 years and loved the subject matter, but loved the kids more.

Mini, keep at those young girls encouraging them about the world of science!