Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

Woofay and Lap~you gals have been through HELL and back with the "sickies". I hope you both are feeling better soon. Do you take a multi daily? Did you get your flu shot? I know that is not the answer, I was just curious. I take a Multivitamin, but I don't get enough fruits and veggies in me. I found a list the other day. The eight things you should eat everyday. I'll see if I can find the article, but here are the 8 foods.

1. Blueberries

2. Oats

3. Carrots

4. Yogurt

5. Walnuts

6. Tomatos

7. Spinach

8. Blackbeans

I remember when I first started working around children, I was constantly sick for almost 2 years. I had got strep if the wind blew in my direction, sinus infections were like a monthly thing for me. I was on antibiotics WAY too much! I got my tonsils out, I haven't been sick since(knock on wood)!

I hope you two feel better soon and the evil bugs stays away!

FEEL BETTER SOON!

Thanks for the list Mal!

I am going to try to get as many of those as possible in my diet. I do love Steel Cut oatmeal in the crockpot overnight with walnuts and blueberries. I'm hoping I won't be too tight in the morning to eat my oatmeal. Right now, I'm okay and I've been eating my one scrambled egg. It is so good with soft Low fat cream cheese.< /p>

Lapdancer, how is the exercise routine coming along? I started riding my recumbent bike last Tuesday and has done it two to three times a day. Okay, I admit, I can only do 5 mins at a time, but it's a start! Amazing that before my surgery, I had finally worked up to 30 mins a day! Hopefully, I can get back to 30 mins a day again.

dee~

Thanks for the list Mal! There is one on there, that, well...I don't think I can manage! heehee! You know... I did have a flu shot with that three day wonder job I had back in October...but they said the flu thats going around is not the strain in the shot this year. And I stopped taking my multivitamin a while ago. I guess its time to get those giant monster chewables out again. (ickkk:scared2:) Gotta try something! And I'm quite sure that its time to chuck my tooth brush...gotta drawer of them from Sams club. I don't know why I don't change it more!

Yay for Lap Dancer and Dee, working out! Woo hoo:w00t: And Lap Dancer...hope you have the ick kicked this time. It just sucks to be sick that much!

Good night all! Oh ya..what night did we decide on for March? Hubby is making out next month's schedule.:thumbdown:

OK - on a different note - I did the worst thing a newbie to be could do...I read posts for a few hours in the "problems" section. Does anybody know Dr. K's rate of removals? I'm terrified that something will go wrong and I'll be out 10,000 dollars plus the cost of removal.

Cara it's natural to feel like that after reading the all the problems people posted. How about how many surgeries the doctor has done in his career..not just lap band but laproscopic surgeries. How about 1000? How about 2000? How about 5000? He's done even more than that. So my take was any man that had ventured into the human body THAT many times could handle my big old bod. As for removals? I don't know. But my own physician here in Florida told me, when talking about malpractice, by virtue of having a longtime career in medicine as a doctor the odds of one person bringing up a case against you are fairly high. Being a poker player that mde sense. Like a deck of cards, you know there is a diamond in the deck, what are the odds of drawing one. It's about risk, chance and every time you have surgery there is always risk. Me? I'm fine. I do not regret one day having the surgery, wish I had it done two years ago, three years ago and saved myself not money but time that is gone being homebound because I felt so lousy and thick and too heavy to move.

Someone is having surgery today I'm thinking. Is it Amie? Sending good vibes her way.

Mal, thanks sweetie for the list. I love everything on that list. YUM. I found another one of ten SUPER FOODS to consume to add to your VIGOR and health.

Acai fruit

This little berry is one of the most nutritious and powerful foods in the world. It can often be found in juice form in health food and gourmet stores

Anything in the "Allium Family"

Garlic, onions, leeks, scallions, chives and shallots can all help the liver eliminate toxins and carcinogens

Barley

This can be used as a Breakfast Cereal, in Soups and stews, and as a rice substitute. Barley's also high in Fiber, helping metabolize fats, cholesterol and carbohydrates.

Green Foods

Green foods like wheat and barley grasses can be bought in powder, tablet or juice form, and offer greater levels of nutrients than green leafy vegetables. They also help cholesterol, blood pressure and immune response

Buckwheat: Seed & Grain

Buckwheat is loaded with Protein, high in amino acid, stabilizes blood sugar and reduces hypertension.

Beans & Lentils

You can reduce cholesterol while beefing up on antioxidants, folic acid and potassium. Try kidney, black, navy, pinto, chickpeas, soybeans, peas and lentils.

Hot Peppers

Both bell and chili peppers contain antioxidants, have twice the Vitamin C as citrus fruit and work as great fat burners.

Nuts & Seeds

You can't go wrong with a handful of nuts a day—walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds, macadamia and pistachio nuts contain Omega 3 fats, which are great for your heart. Raw, unsalted nuts and seeds are best.

Sprouts

Numerous varieties of sprouts are great with any meal. They're a great source of protein and Vitamin C. Try adding them to any dish and your immune system will get a boost.

Yogurt and Kefir

These cultured foods contain healthful bacteria that aid immune function, and the Calcium helps burn fat. Try using them as a base for a smoothie.

Source: Ten Superfoods for Age-Defying Beauty

I've been drinking pure unadulterated Florida squeezed OJ and just love it although the carbs aren't the best. Had Cuban bean Soup that warmed me from the inside out. I DID buy new toothbrushes!! I do that every month because I'm such a dental hygiene freak (of the Jerry Seinfield caliber).

**anyone who is sick with this flu, soup is the nectar of the Gods**

Tied I love how you give positive strokes to everyone. What a sparkle. My friend has one of those bikes you sit down on the floor and ride. I'm going to buy it from her. My excercise...God love ya for asking...sucks. I've been so sick the best I could do was last Saturday out with hubby for a long walk on the beach. We had a grand time. He has started exercising with a friend on Saturday mornings bike riding in the park. I love to ride bikes but am so big right now I need a big tire...not kidding. I need to kick it up a notch now because I've lost enough now that it isn't hurting so much to move.

*** Folks I've dropped a shoe size***:)

Thanks for the list Mal! There is one on there, that, well...I don't think I can manage! heehee! You know... I did have a flu shot with that three day wonder job I had back in October...but they said the flu thats going around is not the strain in the shot this year. And I stopped taking my multivitamin a while ago. I guess its time to get those giant monster chewables out again. (ickkk:scared2:) Gotta try something! And I'm quite sure that its time to chuck my tooth brush...gotta drawer of them from Sams club. I don't know why I don't change it more!

Yay for Lap Dancer and Dee, working out! Woo hoo:w00t: And Lap Dancer...hope you have the ick kicked this time. It just sucks to be sick that much!

Good night all! Oh ya..what night did we decide on for March? Hubby is making out next month's schedule.:)

You are doing awesome! Wanted to congratulate you. Well done well done well done!!:smile2:

Congrats Amieru! I'll be thinking of you Tuesday morning. I had a really good experience overall in Parker and I hope that you do, too.

Woofay, I am so sorry that you're feeling ill and hope that you're better soon. There's an awful flu going around here. I think it's possible you're not getting enough vitamins/healthy food, but it could also just be bad luck. You work at a school, right? I never stayed sicker than the year I was a parapro at a primary school. Kids are germy! That's when I started carrying around hand sanitizer.

Cara, I read some real horror stories before my surgery too. When I had my phone consult with Dr. K, I asked him about complications and he mentioned five. I thought that they were all port revisions, tube punctures and/or tubes leaking. I don't remember him mentioning a removal, but you should feel free to ask him during your consult.

There is the possibility of something going wrong with any surgery. But by going with an experienced surgeon, doing your research and resolving to follow his instructions to the letter, you are reducing your risk. That's all you can do. :)

Ah yes Acai, the wonder antioxidant. I have a bunch of Sambazon Pure Acai in my freezer, you can get them at Vitamin Cottage in the frozen section. I add it to smoothies. It tastes terrible by itself. I also have some liquid Acai Complete, this stuff is amazing (it taste yucky too, but all you need is 2Tbsp a day). I get this stuff at Outletnutrtion.com.

Hi Everyone~

Sorry I have not posted and it has taken me a little while to catch up!!

My fill is great, I was a little tight and thought I may need a slight unfill, but I think that it is getting looser. I am almost (.6) away from the 180's! I am thrilled, I was 180 when I delivered my daughter, so that would be a huge feat!

On the exercize side, won't be happening for a while...On Friday, my bum knee gave out on the stairs and my ankle went sideways for 4 stairs. We all thought that it was broken and the ER said "it is a sprain from hell". Needless to say, I am in a half cast and all wrapped up for a week or so until the swelling is down. I am also on crutches. This couldn't have happened at a more terrible time, my daughter, Hannah, is going in for surgery #28 on Wed. So hopefully, I will be decent by then.

I hope everyone starts feeling better soon and good luck to amerilu. Welcome Cara, you will fit right in!

Brandy

oh Brandy, that is terrible! Im sending healing vibes your way and I'll be praying for your daughter on wednesday too!

Hi Everyone,

I guess I haven't posted in a couple of days. I took a Zyrtex for a rash that I have and it totally knocked me out. I did finally go back to the gym and have a nice 45 min aerobic workout. It felt so good after being inactive for two days. I fell asleep on my recliner under a quilt for two hours yesterday. That is so unusual.

Welcome new bandsters. I know some of you are getting banded, but I've lost the list. Thanks Mal and Lap for those foods that help us and make us look young. I really try to have something on the list every day. But where are the Cookies, that I seem to keep eating?

Woofay - congrats on your weight loss. What is your secret? How many calories are you consuming a day. I am jealous, and so proud of you! Wow!!!!!

Best wishes all,

Michelle

YAY Woofay! I am jealous (but very proud) too, especially about the gym part!...how do you do it!!

Dynamo~I don't know where the Cookies are on that list??? I should edit...

HI Dee!

YAY Woofay! I am jealous (but very proud) too, especially about the gym part!...how do you do it!!

Dynamo~I don't know where the Cookies are on that list??? I should edit...

HI Dee!

Hi Mal!!

LapDancer, so if I accidently dropped your husband's toothbrush in the toilet -- would you never kiss him again?

Dynamo, I was looking for the cookies too! We could make them with oats, blueberries, walnuts and cranberries, Don't they sound yummy?

Anita, You are rocking that band!!! Our poster child for the Banditos!

First fill tomorrow, Gang!

:Yawn::lol::w00t::):w00t::sad2::cryin::):woot:

Good night all! Oh ya..what night did we decide on for March? Hubby is making out next month's schedule.:)

Anita, March 6th is the day I have on my calendar! Hope you can get it worked out so that you can be at Red Robin! We're probably not going to recognize you!!! :)

smsmithart - interesting name! Welcome for soon to be bandland. Yah, giving up the food is a process. Sometimes easier than other time. I am so excited for you to be going on this trip. Best wishes. I am still grieving cigarettes and it's been 30 years, so why would food be any different???

March 6th - Red Robin Hope lots of you can come!!!

ok so im getting banded on thurs and i hate the preop diet ...its been hard to give up sugars and stuff im already mourning food

Smsmith, I haven't been banded long, but I think it will be totally doable.

You don't have to give everything up. You can occasionally have a treat.

It's not as strict as the pre-op diet. If you want a tiny chocolate kiss to help with a chocolate craving you can have one. It's eating things in moderation. AND we are all human - there are times when we might indulge in something really yummy. You'll find however, that it feels so good to have control of your eating. I love that part of being banded. If I want a tiny bite of some cheesecake, I can have one. I'm satisfied and I don't have to eat the entire thing.

Just think, our lives are going to be so much better!

Mine already is! And tomorrow is my 1 month anniversary!