Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

Hello Everyone! Sorry I have not posted in a while but in addition to working and going to school, my dad has been in the hospital with acute pancreatitis so my world has been shaken.

I had my second fill on Tuesday and the weight loss has taken off again. I have officially lost 50 pounds now since the day of my surgery, December 13th 2007. I am so tight now I can barely swallow but I love it. I have 6.75 cc's in a 14cc band. It really makes me slow down and pay attention to what and how much I am eating.

Just wanted to drop in and say hi.

Housework anyone?

frushkabarl01.jpg

Hello Friends:

Congratulations to the new bandsters and those in recovery from recent banding. Your voices sound strong as does your resolve.

Hats off to the Red Robin Banditos I always enjoy hearing about your gatherings each month.

I owe Mal a poem and then some. Look for it at the bottom.

I was off for one week with strep, bronchitis and the viral bubonic nonsense that does a one two punch. I lived on Soup because swallowing was better down with a feeding tube (exaggeration). Honestly, super sick, better now but man is my eating off. Everything is getting hung quickly and I think it is from one week of Soups and fluids. I am frozen at 324 but my body feels like it is a size two I swear.

I feel so HOTS MOMMIEZ!! Sick yeah, but really feeling better.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Empowered ( or smiling to the face of challenge)

The strength to rise from the pain,

to continue at all cost,

The strength to prolong all the shame,

Knowing that you've lost,

The strength to smile, when all you feel is anger,

to substitute bad days, for the best ones you can remember,

The strength to say 'I'm lost' when your pride has blocked your sight,

to say 'please love me', though I've never done it right,

The strength to say you love them, knowing there may be no reply,

to stay by their sides at times, when all they do is cry,

the strength to try again after many times of failing,

to finally open up after many years of waiting,

The strength to fall in love, though sacrificing your heart,

to keep a loved one close while knowing you've grown apart,

The strength to say ' I love you' when all else has gone wrong,

to keep on waiting for you..... regardless of how long,

Phantom Anonymous

...........................................................................................

cartoon.jpg

Call me crazy but I'm feelin this........

I'm seeing it...... working it......

BellyDance.gif

Marcy - it is always great to hear from you. There must be an alternative class for you. Don't quit because of one bitchy attitude, 1..2..3...

Thanks for saying I look younger. I am radiating good health these days. (kinda of like Wilbur in Charlotte's Web - remember? ) don't have to take the number of pills I used to and I think it is good to not have all those chemicals running around my body.

I am stuck on this plateau and I wanna get off it. I spoke with a gal at the gym who can lose 25 pounds in three weeks. I hate her (just kidding). Anyway she suggested fish and green veggies for two weeks to change up my diet. I have to go buy some fish, but I can. I will do it.

Lap - hugs to you.

LA - the date they have you signed up was in 2005, have you waited a long time to get banded?

Michelle

Marcy - it is always great to hear from you. There must be an alternative class for you. Don't quit because of one bitchy attitude, 1..2..3...

Thanks for saying I look younger. I am radiating good health these days. (kinda of like Wilbur in Charlotte's Web - remember? ) don't have to take the number of pills I used to and I think it is good to not have all those chemicals running around my body.

I am stuck on this plateau and I wanna get off it. I spoke with a gal at the gym who can lose 25 pounds in three weeks. I hate her (just kidding). Anyway she suggested fish and green veggies for two weeks to change up my diet. I have to go buy some fish, but I can. I will do it.

Lap - hugs to you.

LA - the date they have you signed up was in 2005, have you waited a long time to get banded?

Michelle

Hey Michelle:

Did you have a chance to talk about that body changing morph. sensation? I was wondering what kind of feedback you were getting.

Michelle

Hey Michelle. I had researched the band back in 2005. Was going to get it then, but insurance wasn't going to cover it. So I started working with a dietitian, trainer and going to the gym. I lost 50 pounds. So I decided I didn't need the lap band anymore, and could do it on my own.

Well I put the 50 pounds back on over the last 2 years, and an additional 20 friends came along for the ride. That is when I came back here and decided I was going to go self pay. Someone posted a link to Dr K on my blog (not the OH one) and that is how I heard about him.

I really think this was the path I was meant to take. Two years ago I just wasn't as ready for this change as I am now. Two years ago Dr K wasn't doing lapband. Two years ago the lapband placement wasn't as perfected and advanced as it is now. Lots of good reasons why two years ago just wasn't meant to be for me. :thumbup:

LA - I have been putting off the band, for lots of the same reasons. I lost 40 pounds with Slim4Life, but put it right back on. It was my dieting experience all over again. The band is different, I don't regain, even when I am on a plateau. It is helping me to confront issues that I have always avoided.

Lap - The healing needs to be from the inside out, however, I will never have the mother's love nor nurturing that I needed at an early stage. My therapist says that so much of my relationship with food was based on this and surviving in the only way I could figure out to keep myself whole. i am sure I will learn more about this in the coming weeks.

hugs,

Michelle

Hi all! I have three days left until my surgery...I can't believe it. The time has just flown by. The pre-op diet is going well, too. Even went through a drive-thru last night with DH and got a roast beef sandwich and salad. DH took the meat off the bun for me. Of course, I did face away from him while he was eating his fries. :)

I also got a present this weekend, early Valentine's Day. I told DH that the surgery is more than enough present, but he won some money playing poker Saturday night so he bought me Guitar Hero III. It's a good distraction, that's for sure!

What else...I joined what I thought would be another supportive group, for overeaters (not OA itself, though). Of course I mentioned my surgery. I did get some good comments, but of course the one that stuck with me was the one saying "don't do it":

When we're babies, are we able to just get up and start walking after we're born? No, it takes time and many failures before we succeed.

Stomach surgery is not going to disconnect the head hunger. And if therapy solved obesity, we'd all be thin. Our answer must come from our own knowledge, experience and prioritization.

What if you had the surgery and were disabled for the rest of your life? In and out of ERs and hospitals, frail, miserable? Wouldn't you then wish you could undo it? Please don't take that chance. With knowledge and commitment you can get the weight off and stop binges naturally sans the risks of bariatric surgery.

I basically said that I had a lifetime of failures behind me and obviously I need more tools to succeed. I acknowledged in my original post that surgery did not get rid of head hunger. And I definitely don't think that therapy "solves" obesity.

But her comments about being disabled and the like tell me that she doesn't know anything about lapband surgery. I was kind of insulted, honestly. There I was looking for support, less than a week before surgery. I (naively, I now see) didn't expect anyone to attempt to talk me out of it. So I amended my original post to ask people to respect my decision and only provide support if they were willing. It's not a decision I came to lightly or quickly -- I've been thinking about this for going on three years now! I would never presume to say that lapband or any surgery is the right path for all obese people, but I know it's the right one for me.

Ugh.

Anyway, this just reminds me why I haven't shared my surgery with most people. I don't want anybody to try to talk me out of it. I'm not stupid or uninformed. I know that there are risks. I'm willing to take them. Period.

you had the surgery and were disabled for the rest of your life? In and out of ERs and hospitals, frail, miserable? Wouldn't you then wish you could undo it? Please don't take that chance. With knowledge and commitment you can get the weight off and stop binges naturally sans the risks of bariatric surgery.

I basically said that I had a lifetime of failures behind me and obviously I need more tools to succeed. I acknowledged in my original post that surgery did not get rid of head hunger. And I definitely don't think that therapy "solves" obesity.

But her comments about being disabled and the like tell me that she doesn't know anything about lapband surgery. I was kind of insulted, honestly. There I was looking for support, less than a week before surgery. I (naively, I now see) didn't expect anyone to attempt to talk me out of it. So I amended my original post to ask people to respect my decision and only provide support if they were willing. It's not a decision I came to lightly or quickly -- I've been thinking about this for going on three years now! I would never presume to say that lapband or any surgery is the right path for all obese people, but I know it's the right one for me.

Ugh.

Anyway, this just reminds me why I haven't shared my surgery with most people. I don't want anybody to try to talk me out of it. I'm not stupid or uninformed. I know that there are risks. I'm willing to take them. Period.

Virid,

I think her comment came from being uneducated on the Lap Band. I know several people who had Gastric Bypass and have become disabled. They live in the ER and doctor's office. They have been admitted numerous times for malnutrition and other problems. They have to get lab tests done on a monthly basis and give themselves injections daily.

If I had that ahead of me, I would have most likely not had surgery.

Congrats on your pre-op -- it's hard to stick to it when family is around. If we lived in a bubble, it would be easier!

3 days and you're on the Loser's Bench!!!

I'm saving you a seat!

dee~

Viri - just know that most people are stupid when it comes to obesity and those with eating issues KNOW YOU BEST. I had to get over my own reluctance and judgment about WLS before I had the lapband. My doc, is a good friend of Dr. K's, and he wanted me to do this for two years before I did. Yes, we can lose weight, but I can't keep it off. While I was working on the psychological issues that have kept me fat, I would regain the weight I had lost with strict dieting. This isn't a diet, it is a complete lifestyle overhaul and, frankly, not for wusses. I am proud of you, you go girl! You have more courage and initiative than all those nay-sayers out there. Best wishes, you will have a great outcome.

Hugs to all,

Michelle

Yay Viri!!! Don't mind anyone and just do what feels right to you!

Lap: Your crazy girl!!! When were all teeny, we should get togther and take a little belly class. It may be fun!

Michelle: You do look so healthy!!! I did the whole Slim4Life thing as well. What a waste of money!! The weight FLEW back on when I was done! Just like everything else, I suppose!

LA: I am with you, I went to a lb meeting 2 years ago and fought with insurance to no avail. I agree whole heartedly, it just wasn't the time.

I did a good 45 minute cardio workout this morning, estimating 500 or so calories.

I read something that said if you are able to 2 smaller workouts per day, the more calories you burn. Makes sense. I think I will TRY to go this afternoon too. We will see, it is usually MASS CHAOS by 3!

im scheduled for dr k on feb 28th and my mother is going to come with me since they wont let me come alone ...

anyways im worried about head hunger and if il be able to eat sushi ever again and ive read so many neg posts im just getting a little discouraged ...

but im going to give it my best shot and whenever i get down a little i pull out all vs catalog and circle things to buy because i know by summer i will be able to fit in some super hot o so skimpy clothes ...

smsmithart - welcome! Don't let negative talk discourage you. This is a place for gripes and cheers. We are on the hardest journey of our lives, total lifestyle overhaul, so there are some glitches, ya think??? Anyway, I'm one who has griped, PB'ed, overeaten, PB'ed, complained - but bottom line, would I do it all over again? YES! in a minute. The band has been the only way I can confront my stuff without giving me the chance to regain the weight I've already lost, while I'm working on my stuff. The band has put my psychological and eating issues in my face. It isn't easy, but very worth it!

brandy - I think the benefit of going to the gym twice a day is that the residual metabolic boost will apply to both workouts, so your body is more revved all day. I would worry about burnout, but the gym is a wonderful place to be. No one is stuffing their face, and the bods are fun to look at.

Have a great day everyone,

Michelle

Well, tomorrow I fly into Denver. My pre-op is at 2 and then my surgery is Thursday at 1:30. I am so excited to get going. It seemed like it was just eons away and suddenly, it's here. I thought I might feel nervous or get cold feet but really I'm thinking, "let's get on with it already!"

I have to thank all of you; of all of the various niche support threads happening here, I think this one has been the most interesting, funny and encouraging.

I also should say that the person I complained about in my last post here, who tried to talk me out of the surgery? She apologized profusely for "projecting negative emotions" onto me, said that she was completely supportive and had no business butting into my decisions. So how's that for a turnaround? I didn't expect that at all and I'd gone on the defensive. Every once in a while, people can still surprise me!

This will probably be my last post here until I get back home. OK, all...next time I talk to you, I'll be in Bandlandia. Wish me luck! :mad: