Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

Just thought I would post this here. When I was originally researching Dr K... I was a bit freaked that he had barely ANY testimonials on the ObesityHelp website. Then I found this thread and got all my answers I needed.

Well for someone who doesn't find this thread, I wouldn't want them to be swayed from an excellent surgeon because of the lack in testimonials. Soooo... if you are a member of OH... please take a minute to review your experience. I am sure Dr K would appreciate it! :eek: :frown:

Dr K on OH

Hi everyone!

I am getting banded on Wednesday with Dr. K--absolutely can't wait!!! I went out shopping for all of the post op stuff i will need.

I'll let you all know how i do!! :eek:

L.A., I am so sorry about your tax woes -- we had the same thing. Sucks. I hope someone can take your Bodybugg off your hands and help out a bit. I agree with you about Dr. K's profile on OH. In fact, we should see if we can lobby to get Dr. K to register with them so there's more information on him. But the testimonials are a good start; I also was concerned when I didn't see much on him there.

Congrats linzchavez, I look forward to hearing how you do. :eek:

Day one of my pre-op diet today. I had an omelet for Breakfast and it was very filling...so far, so good. Fish and salad for lunch, chicken and probably broccoli and more salad for dinner. My DH went to the grocery store for me yesterday and he put all of his treats downstairs in the closet where he stores his comic books & other stuff. Out of sight, out of mind, right?

Red Robin - Feb. 7 (please copy and paste)

Dynamo (Michelle)

Brandy

Mal

Woofay

Bookholder

dee~

John t

i will be there thursday!

Dynamo (Michelle)

Brandy

Mal

Woofay

Bookholder

dee~

John t

Lydia

i will be there thursday!

Dynamo (Michelle)

Brandy

Mal

Woofay

Bookholder

dee~

John t

Lydia

Thursday is coming up. Can't wait to see you all. I just hope the roads will work for Woofay.

Anyway - I have a serious problem that I am taking to my therapist, but want to share it here too. Maybe you will have some understanding of this ridiculous problem.

Ok - My body is changing and people are noticing. Initially, it makes me feel great and happy. Then, it makes me really anxious enough so I eat crap. It is like I am worried about disappearing, not really, but why do I have to stay obese to get noticed? And when I am fat, people don't notice me all that much. It is the weirdest thing and not something I have ever read about. I have to resolve this issue, or I will not let the band take me to a healthy weight. Any ideas?

I think some of it is about exposure, and I am a basically shy person. I worry about evaporating, losing substance... crazy stuff.

Anyway, I am excited about seeing you all.

Hugs,

Michelle

Dynamo (Michelle)

Brandy

Mal

Woofay

Bookholder

dee~

John t

Lydia

Thursday is coming up. Can't wait to see you all. I just hope the roads will work for Woofay.

Anyway - I have a serious problem that I am taking to my therapist, but want to share it here too. Maybe you will have some understanding of this ridiculous problem.

Ok - My body is changing and people are noticing. Initially, it makes me feel great and happy. Then, it makes me really anxious enough so I eat crap. It is like I am worried about disappearing, not really, but why do I have to stay obese to get noticed? And when I am fat, people don't notice me all that much. It is the weirdest thing and not something I have ever read about. I have to resolve this issue, or I will not let the band take me to a healthy weight. Any ideas?

I think some of it is about exposure, and I am a basically shy person. I worry about evaporating, losing substance... crazy stuff.

Hugs,

Michelle

Michelle,

I'm sorry to hear about your problem.

Do you think it's something about 'not being invisible' anymore? I know as an obese person, I feel invisible to most people, esp. men. I guess, in some ways that feels good, esp. if I'm feeling sad or depressed, it's good to feel like I'm not the focus of others. Do you think now that you've lost weight and others are noticing, you are becoming less invisible. You are beautiful Michelle and people are going to notice you. They are going to notice your face and how pretty it is and how tiny and petite you are becoming. You're very attractive and I thought that the first time I met you at RR. Are you uncomfortable with the compliments? Do you feel unworthy of their praise?

I'm sorry if I'm totally off base with this. Forgive me, but I wanted to comment.

Thanks Honey,

Love you,

dee~

Dee -Maybe - I have thought about that. As an obese person, I have gotten used to being ignored, and found some comfort in that hiding. Yet, my panic stems from feeling like I am losing substance, ballast, girth when it is noticed by others. You see it is a conumdrum. Probably, from early childhood. Yes, compliments are tough to accept. How can I expect the world to accept me if I am not comfortable in my skin? Thanks Dee for the compliments. I am a big believer that beauty comes from within. It's the with"out" that I am struggling with and wanting my inside and my outside to match up somehow. I will let you know what I figure out. It may be important to others out there.

How are you feeling?

Michelle

Dee -Maybe - I have thought about that. As an obese person, I have gotten used to being ignored, and found some comfort in that hiding. Yet, my panic stems from feeling like I am losing substance, ballast, girth when it is noticed by others. You see it is a conumdrum. Probably, from early childhood. Yes, compliments are tough to accept. How can I expect the world to accept me if I am not comfortable in my skin? Thanks Dee for the compliments. I am a big believer that beauty comes from within. It's the with"out" that I am struggling with and wanting my inside and my outside to match up somehow. I will let you know what I figure out. It may be important to others out there.

How are you feeling?

Michelle

I know when others compliment me, it makes me embarrassed. Please let me and others, if you'd like, know what your therapist says.

Well, as for me, I'm doing okay. I think I'm still pretty swollen, so my focus is getting my Water in and not worrying about my calories. I think I'm only able to get in about 200 cals a day. I haven't been hungry at all. I have to force myself to drink my water and I've just been doing Protein Drinks, since I'm only able to take such small amts. I stopped taking the broths and Soups because of the high sodium content and I'm still retaining fluids from surgery. The bullets that Anita gave me and some Isopure that Mal gave me have been good, but I'm only able to take about 2 oz at a time. My water is still gurgling up in my throat, an hour after I drink my Protein. Yesterday, I had to set my timer to get in my water. I see Dr. K today, so I'll talk to him about it.

See you on Thursday.

Love,

dee~

Hugs,

Michelle

I hear you... for me, its about losing who I am... or how I see/define me and how I think others do too. I've always been Tina the Fat Girl/Woman... (in my mind anyways...and I am sure in most others') and while it's not always been something I wanted to be, it is who I am (was). Tina the samller person gets treated/noticed differently and sometimes, I kind of dislike that because I am like, why didn't the old Tina get the same treatment, she was/is the same person...and yet she is not. Sounds weird, but in a way, i get angry that I'm treated better/noticed more. Like why do store clerks treat me better now? I make the same money and carry myself the same way... anyhow, I kind of resent it... and it is silly, but also very real and frustratng at times. I feel like I am the same me and somehow the newer me.. and I really did like the old me, even when she was bigger. Her experiences made me "me"... At the same time, I am a bit more confident and things seem better and that creates new feelings too...

I keep telling myself... change is good and I am good.

Tina

Dynamo~You have a very important issue. I am interested in hearing what your therapist has to offer.

I have been there before (on one of the many short term diet successes). I truly think it is the attention, that people notice part of you is gone. I remember feeling as if all the sudden I was re-introduced to the world as a thin person. We had just moved to a new area, so no one knew me as an over wieght person. The attention, the public treatment and the compliments were overwhelming for me and I think that is why the weight came back (that time). I remember feeling resentment toward people because they were so nice and they seemed so "in my face". I was not comfortable with it, I found comfort in being "invisible". I know this might be an issue again, although my social life is more limited than before. Compliments are hard for me also but then I become annoyed when close friends and family that I don't see often don't say anything.....uggggh, what are we to do? we KNEW the "head" part was going to tough.

we shall discuss more Thursday night. Good topic!

Tied2b~You have been on my mind. How did your appointment with Dr. K go? I remember my belly being swollen for about three maybe four weeks after the surgery. I started Journal, but that only lasted a few days. now I just journal what I eat and my excercise oh yeah and my measurements (I moved the weight numbers to the very back, those numbers drive me koo-koo).

Keep us posted on your recovery! I am so happy for you!

linzchavez~tomorrow is your big day, we are thinking about you. Post when you can and let us know how everything went. you already know that you are in SUPERB hands!

Woofay~How is the job treating you? I just love your hours. I am up at 5:30 and done at 5:00.....LOOOONG DAY!!!! But I do get a nice 2 1/2 hour break in the middle of the day, so I can't complain about that, plus I get to play all day! I hope you can make it Thursday night!

Later mi banditos!

Thanks for all the supportive thoughts on my problem. It will have to resolve over time. In therapy I got in touch with the sadness I feel when I ate (most of my life) to cope with anxiety producing situations. My therapist says it is from very early and not getting the time to be a child or the nurturing I needed. I am working on the judgment I hold and forgiving myself - understanding that the food was just the vehicle to protect myself.

See you Thursday.

Hugs,

Michelle

Quick note.

LA- thanks for the Obesity Help link. I posted mine.

Friends...got strep throat, laryngitis and bronchitis...sick as sin right now.

Michelle:

Girl.. I know I know. It is so crazy. Tell me what your therapist says.

I most definately understand what you are feeling. I am shrinking too. But my head isn't wrapping itself around it too well. I am feeling like I am SICK or have cancer or some disease and my body is wasting away..crazy crap.

I'm sick - still...a friend stopped by the other day and mentioned that mono was "going around"...not that I kiss on a bunch of people, but in a small community like this when something "goes around" it really does. Please God, don't let me have mono! I'm hoping it's just a silly cold that has landed me so sapped of energy and motivation that I'll just drink some more Water and be good tomorrow...but it's been a few days and I'm not getting any better! CRAP!

WARNING: Late night rant ahead, proceed with caution -

So...all this talk about Oprah's show the other day on WLS and obesity...the "easy" way out. I have to say, I think I'm a WLS Snob! What I mean is...this is a tool, not some easy way out, if it were I'd be skinny by now and not gaining a couple of pounds! But, I don't think it should be a first resort...it should be a LAST resort. I watched some show the other day where there was a 13 year old girl who was FAT (and, yes, I mean FAT, not overweight) who found some idiot doctor to ok liposuction for her! I couldn't believe it! Finally, she's asked to take some Vitamins and Iron (she was anemic) and her labs still didn't look good enough for the surgery so she was turned away. I was so glad, because the cameras followed her everywhere and she'd laugh off not taking her iron, vitamins, and eating CRAP! LOTS of CRAP! (We're talking Las Vegas buffet crap here.) So I don't think she DESERVED WLS (which I don't think Lipo is WLS, but still...) Call me snobby, but I think when kids are in that much trouble, it's the entire FAMILY that needs to make a change or two before surgery is looked into! For cryin' out loud! This goes for adults too! I really DO think that people should HAVE to have followed a diet or two (and had success, even if short-lived) to be able to get WLS! Heck, the band just helps me KEEP the weight off, it hasn't really helped me LOSE it! I did that part myself!

Ok, rant over, thanks for listening...I'm going to drink some water and go to bed.

Hey Marcy!

I'm so sorry to hear you're not feeling well. I had mono about 7 years ago. It started with the worst sore and swollen throat of my life. I have never had such a swollen and sore throat. I was drooling, my throat was so swollen. The doctor suspected Mono immediately when she saw my throat. I remember having to sleep sitting up because my airway was decreased drastically.

I hope you feel better soon and you DON'T have mono!

I saw the show on Oprah too. I agree with you. I am so tired of people thinking that WLS is the easy way out. It's not! AND it should be the last resort for anyone. I know for me, it was the last resort. AT one time, I weighed over 480lbs. I have lost weight hundreds of times, but I also gained it back and more. This is my attempt to lose and not gain it back. I need to be a healthy size.

On the Oprah show, I heard the one doctor say that they give the child a chance to consent to the surgery. As the show said, the band is not FDA approved for anyone under 18 years of age. I think RNY or any other shouldn't be approved either. Can you imagine being 13 years old, bellied at school due to your weight and not feeling good about yourself and then having someone tell you that WLS is the way out? How could you not consent to it?

I felt sorry for the young girl who had the addiction transfer. I'm just starting this journey, who knows what the future holds for me. This is not an easy task by any means. I haven't been hungry once since surgery a week ago, but the head hunger hit hard tonight. I was on the phone with a man I met on eHarmony. He and I had a disagreement. It upset me. When we ended out conversation, I felt lost and really sad. In the old days, I would have gone and gotten a slice of bread and eaten it. Don't ask me, but when I used to get depressed, bread was my 'go to' food. Some days during my marriage when things were really bad, I'd go all day on one slice of bread, for some reason, that's all I wanted. My tummy was upset and sad and bread was comfort. Overeating for me came during times of joy and happiness. To look at me, you'd think I've had a lot of joy in my life -- not true, but I have to say, I have enjoyed pretty much every bite I've indulged in!

I'm rambling. Sorry!

Good night ladies and John!

Sleep sweet Marcy and Get WELL soon!

Love,

dee~