Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

Had the most fun potluck tonight. The theme was "game meat". Now, don't get me wrong here, I usually don't like game meat all that much...I've learned to prepare moose well enough that you really can't tell...anyhoo....you all know that I've had some issues eating meat (it easily gets stuck) so I was a little leary of the fair so I brought some spaghetti with moose-meat sauce because I know I can eat THAT. Here is what else was offered - and went down well!

Sweet and sour Musk Ox (that meat really was GOOD!)

Baked salmon (now, you KNOW that was good)

Moose meat balls

Seal meat on rice (quite "gamy", but the texture was fantastic)

Sauted goose meat with onions

Dried salmon strips (my kids love these)

Lots of moose salami-type stuff

Tundra berries with sweetened condensed milk (blueberries, cranberries, salmonberries, etc.)

My FAVORITE is a moose-sausage stuffed with olives and jalapenos - I usually hate jalapenos, but this is sooooo good!

It was fun to try all these new things (and there were SEVERAL more dishes that I didn't mention - these people really know how to do a pot luck I tell ya!) Iditarod is coming...time to visit folks!

NSV: I wrapped a REGULAR towel around myself today...not a bath sheet!

yuck stop killing the wildlife...let me guess you also go seal clubbing in your free time

Awww that wasn't nice.

Marcy lives in Alaska and granted, I wouldn't eat moose, rabbit or Musk Ox, but that is what is indigenous to her region. It is common in her area to see these readily available foods and the locals to integrate them in their diet. I would eat what is native and also not endangered in my area which is a fish called grouper (not heard up north).

I love activists and TRAFFIC could use your support in time or donations go to TRAFFIC - Home & Latest News and also the World Wildlife Federation is also in need of contributions: Endangered Species, Wildlife Conservation, Animal Habitats

Good morning FRIENDS!

Happy Thursday. It is a half day here at my school. YAYAYAYAY.

Well today I got on the scale and finally took off all the weight that I had surged. It took me what? Five days? In reviewing my diet I have found that:

Salt is counterproductive in my weight loss. I will avoid highly preserved meats such as ham, and foods, such as canned Soups, to avoid a holding pattern in my weight loss.

I am also 'carb sensative' meaning like a drunk, I cannot intake a margin of carbs even for one evening without having a rebound effect for as much as three days. So to avoid this I will decrease and control what carbs I will put in my diet.

Because my family is home on the weekends, we tended to eat picnic style...grilled burgers, baked Beans, potato salad, and soda. Even though I stayed within Portion Control, the combination of carbs in the baked beans (made with molassas and brown sugar and bacon) and potatoes in the potato salad was enough carbohydrate to put some poundage on. I don't want even two pounds up if I can avoid it plus it is a setback when I have to repeat the process of taking off what I already took off.

I am finding that restriction is not a problem but rathern, finding a good continual diet of foods that won't cause an adverse reaction for my diverticulitis plus a low sodium content and...carbs.

Right now I stocked up on Advantage EDGE Carb control with 17 grams of Protein. I am gauranteeing my body 80 grams of protein daily and those sure shots in the form of Protein Drink and bars is a good promise. I am balancing that with carb content and calories staying around 1500 - 1800 calories.

ONWARD!!!!

Hey, All! I have about two seconds to get a post on this morning...(and really I should be upstairs getting ready!) I started working yesterday, and after one day, I really like it. Its more like the kitchen I am used to with nice people and team work. And its huge and beautiful and they actually have hand washing sinks and plastic gloves! Yay for sanitation! The hours are short, 9:30-2:30 but that completely works around the kids and gets me outta the house. I hope it continues to go well and they accept me into their pack!

DEE! YOU ARE A BANDSTER NOW!!!! WOO HOO BANDITO!:frown:

I'm in for the 7th...weather permitting of course!

Have a great day!

OH..AND HERE IS WHAT THE SWEET SPOT FEELS LIKE:

You aren't searching for food because you have the feeling of being full or CONTENT after meals for a long period of time...life four to five hours for me.

You can eat slowly, and chew for a long time, properly cooked meats and they go down one small swallow at a time, and pause briefly to settle into your belly. I eat very slowly with no liquid so there is all of this new found lovely conversation at the table. Meals now last as long as an hour!!! I'm also redecorating and creating a special dining area to accomidate comfort and more room so I can entertain guests.

Arugala greens are my new found chocolate. nectar of the green GODS this is. Ruby Tuesday's Carolina chicken salad is HUGE but full of arugala and nicely chopped greens of all kinds. It comes with chicken...fried and about the size of popcorn, buried in the mass of GREENS. Save the rest for two other meals.

I've lost the hard sensation of hunger pangs...the one that makes you dizzy and nauseated at the same time? GONE.

Sweeeet.

Marcy -- I like your posts about your life in Nome and hope you'll continue to share. I find your very self-reliant way of feeding your family very interesting and pretty cool, specifically because it is so different from my own. I am pretty dependent on the local Walmart supercenter for our eats and am fascinated that you can raise, harvest, dress, cook your own. I like talking to my kids about what I've learned about Nome from you and, in turn, it's made them curious and lead to their researching the Iditerod. So, thanks!

Has anyone heard from Dee?

Woofay -- Sounds like you've found a great position! Of course, they'll love you --- you're too wonderful for them not to!

Lap -- Aboslutely love that Carolina chicken salad at Ruby Tuesday's. You are so right! I am also lovin' that Kashi crunch high Protein cereral that Michelle( I think) speaks of on this thread -- very, very good.

Happy Wednesday folks!

Hey, All! I have about two seconds to get a post on this morning...(and really I should be upstairs getting ready!) I started working yesterday, and after one day, I really like it. Its more like the kitchen I am used to with nice people and team work. And its huge and beautiful and they actually have hand washing sinks and plastic gloves! Yay for sanitation! The hours are short, 9:30-2:30 but that completely works around the kids and gets me outta the house. I hope it continues to go well and they accept me into their pack!

DEE! YOU ARE A BANDSTER NOW!!!! WOO HOO BANDITO!:party:

I'm in for the 7th...weather permitting of course!

Have a great day!

YAY!!! You sound so happy Anita. I love the hours. Working around the kid's schedule was priority one for me when I picked a career. Congratulations. If mom is happy everyone is happy!

:frown: Dee welcome to Band land to being a bandster and bandito. POST HOW YOU ARE DOING.

Good Morning Banditos!

I went to visit Dee last night and she was doing great. She had some pain but her nurse was right on top of it. she said she was neauseated when she first woke up after surgery. I hope she made it through the night with no problems. She looked fantastic and had a wonderful outlook! YIPPEEE She is banded!!

Dee~We are awaitng your posts!!

Woofay~Sounds like you are going to enjoy your new job! The hours sound PERFECT! I need those kind of hours!

Marcy~Congrats on the dinner! Your hard work paid off. I also enjoy reading your posts.

Lap~I went on your myspace and checked out the sign language song...I LOVED it sooo much (my hubby didn't dig it so much, I think it was the song, cuz he wasn't watching it). That was crazy cool! I admire your proffession. I am fascinated by it. I know very little sign language. I searched the local community college for courses last night! I doubt tht I will ksign up for classes, but I would LOVE to some day!

My son says to tell you that you are "really cool"!

Hope all is well with everyone!

Thanks again for the well wishes! New news...no shingles and I am feeling mucho better, going to the gym tonight!

I wouldn't personally be interested in eating most of the meats that Marcy mentioned, but I also don't live in Alaska where it's quite common to eat moose, et cetera. To each his/her own. So let's just be supportive, OK? I'm sure there was a lot of high-quality Protein going on there!

yuck stop killing the wildlife...let me guess you also go seal clubbing in your free time

I agree with Lap and my mom always said "Don't knock it til you try it". Marcy way to go sounds like you had a great time and way to have a back up plan.

I did the treadmill yesterday and 100 sit-ups. So far staying on goal. I am down 1 size in my pants and that feels great. Not really hungary since the fill, is that normal? When I do eat I feel a little restriction after a few bites, is that right, will it work in more?:tongue:

I hope everyone has a great day and stays on track...

Let's stop the personal attacks please. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, there's just a WAY to give an opinion and a WAY to give an opinion :tongue:

Also, let's try to keep posts on topic please.

Well, I am still getting really hungry!!! :tongue: I am going to give this fill 2 weeks, then I am going in again! How many fills did it take everyone to hit their "sweet spot"?

Bahot~ Keep it up chickie!!! Your doing awesome!!!

Mal~ How are you feeling? Thanks for the update on Dee!

Marcy~ Glad you had a fun time at your pot luck. My dad would have loved trying all of that stuff!!

Lap~ You always have so much info!! Have fun re-doing the dining room! I love re-decorating, my husband hates that! :biggrin:

Hope I didn't miss anyone, if so I am sorry!!!

Pray that I can stay strong for 2 weeks!!!

Brandy

Well, I am still getting really hungry!!! :tt1: I am going to give this fill 2 weeks, then I am going in again! How many fills did it take everyone to hit their "sweet spot"?

Bahot~ Keep it up chickie!!! Your doing awesome!!!

Mal~ How are you feeling? Thanks for the update on Dee!

Marcy~ Glad you had a fun time at your pot luck. My dad would have loved trying all of that stuff!!

Lap~ You always have so much info!! Have fun re-doing the dining room! I love re-decorating, my husband hates that! :tongue:

Hope I didn't miss anyone, if so I am sorry!!!

Pray that I can stay strong for 2 weeks!!!

Brandy

Brandymom I'm sure everyone is different. I've seen some say 6 fills and then there is me which took 3 fills. Call Natalie at Dr. K's office and ask her about that little pocket card that has the sweet spot (or actually it is how to know if you need a fill or not)

Luck.