Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

Hi gals! I've been lurking and reading your posts but it feels a little creepy to do so without introducing myself. I'm in Thornton and have my initial consult with Dr. Kirshenbaum in July (after his trip to Africa, apparently). It's a bummer to wait even 3 weeks after I've finally made the emotional leap to seek out surgery.

I'm an RN, a lactation consultant, and a mom (kids are 3 and 6). WLS is covered by my insurance company, hopefully there won't be too many hoops to jump through. I can't get the insurance company to give me any info about what to expect re difficulty with precert. Par for the course, I guess.

I chose to make an appt with Dr. K after reading how many people on this forum have used him and haven't seen any complaints yet. I'm still dreading it, because as a nurse, I really hate doctors. And his office staff didn't give a great first impression over the phone - I didn't know office underlings still called a doctor "Doctor", as if it's his first name. As in, "Doctor will be out of the office until July". Besides that, the receptionist didn't seem terribly knowledgeable. But this is all probably me putting my anxiety onto the Dr.'s office instead of facing the fact that I'm terrified. Terrified that I won't be eligible (not heavy enough - my BMI is 39.9999), that the insurance company will deny it, that I'll have to do 12 months of medically supervised dieting and I won't be able to afford it, or whatever.

Aside from that, I'm looking forward to the journey!

Hi gals! I've been lurking and reading your posts but it feels a little creepy to do so without introducing myself. I'm in Thornton and have my initial consult with Dr. Kirshenbaum in July (after his trip to Africa, apparently). It's a bummer to wait even 3 weeks after I've finally made the emotional leap to seek out surgery.

I'm an RN, a lactation consultant, and a mom (kids are 3 and 6). WLS is covered by my insurance company, hopefully there won't be too many hoops to jump through. I can't get the insurance company to give me any info about what to expect re difficulty with precert. Par for the course, I guess.

I chose to make an appt with Dr. K after reading how many people on this forum have used him and haven't seen any complaints yet. I'm still dreading it, because as a nurse, I really hate doctors. And his office staff didn't give a great first impression over the phone - I didn't know office underlings still called a doctor "Doctor", as if it's his first name. As in, "Doctor will be out of the office until July". Besides that, the receptionist didn't seem terribly knowledgeable. But this is all probably me putting my anxiety onto the Dr.'s office instead of facing the fact that I'm terrified. Terrified that I won't be eligible (not heavy enough - my BMI is 39.9999), that the insurance company will deny it, that I'll have to do 12 months of medically supervised dieting and I won't be able to afford it, or whatever.

Aside from that, I'm looking forward to the journey!

Hi! Glad you came out of lurking!

Dr K's staff has been with him for years and years... I think it's endearing that they call him "Doctor"... just showing respect for him is all.

On a side note though... I wasn't aware that Dr K did this surgery with insurance involved. My understanding was he was just banding self payers. I guess I'm wrong though if you have insurance and you have a consultation with him. Lucky girl you are to have insurance to cover the band!

Keep in touch and let us know how things are going! Feel free to ask any questions you might have, you will find a wealth of information here!

Welcome mymacksy!

You will LOVE Dr. K's staff and Dr. K...they are wonderful, very caring. You are in good hands! Congrats on having your insurance cover it, that is wonderful!

Welcome mymacksy. I travel from Tampa, Florida to Denver, Colorado to go to this doctor. I went because of his price, after speaking to him on the phone with our phone consultation (who can't love a high tech doctor who does long distance consults via conference call, email with power point slides and talks you through the procedure all from your office at home!)

I just got back from Denver last night. I am home less than 12 hours. I just had my first fill. Which reminds me....

HELLO GIRLS!

I'm BAAAAACK!

Pictures forthcoming.

At Red Robin, Mom, Dad and Me

June025.jpg

June019.jpg

Dynamo Mini

June018-1.jpg

The Gathering at Red Robin

June020.jpg

Mango Daquiri courtesy of Sunny ( I wish you were there) we toasted you!

Colorado from the air.

June035.jpg

The beauty of our planet from above!

June040.jpg

June045.jpg

June048.jpg

DrewsLou I so wanted to meet you. I'll be in Denver again for my next fill the week of July 12th.

LET'S DO IT AGAIN !!!

SunnySea I really hope you can make it to one of our gatherings. Meeting you once was divine, having you there would have been great. Thank you for the drink! Mango daquiri toasted to you.

Woofay - You are beautiful inside and out. Your smile warms the room.

Thank you for coming to Red Robin. It meant so much to meet you.

Mal - It was GREAT to finally put your posts and stories to a face. The short time we were all together has stayed in my heart. Your support means so much.

Michelle (Dynamo Mini) Your call on my cell welcoming me "to the Mile High city" came on speaker phone and greeted me and my parents as we drove from Enterprise Rental towards Aurora. What a grand welcome! Your directional support around that town is greatly appreciated. Seeing you again at Dr. K's the next day was an added blessing. I wish we had more time, I wish I lived closer.

We are all so lucky to have this website. There is more support here than I ever imagined.

My fill was interesting. I was nervous for the unknown. But Dr. K was his usual talk-you-through-it self explaining everything. He is a details man. We went back and forth on .1 cc but I ended up with about 3.7 cc's in my port.

** I made an appt. for July 12th so I'll be back out in Denver then*

LET'S GET TOGETHER!!

I

Hi Everyone,:girl_hug: OMG, Lap Dancer your pictures are GREAT! how beautiful! It's great seeing pictures of everyone, Lap Dancer I have to tell you when we first met at Dr. K's office I thought you were about 30 something, you just look younger, it's that young loveable spirit in you! Mango Drink! I LOVE MANGO'S, I wish I was your neighbor in Florida on the Gulf and then visit my friends in Denver and Dr. K :biggrin1: wishful thinking:rolleyes: I just thought it would be fun to surprise everyone at Red Robin, the people were great there to hunt down your table for me during a busy time. How is everyone's fills going? my weight lose is really slow but in the right direction, I am just fitting in some 16's and started in 22's (womens plus sizes) I have not been at this weight for a loooooong time! it feels good.:biggrin1: I am starting a new job in retail at a Shopko store so that should help me burn a few more calories running around for 40 hours a week. I have been quite the slug for the last 2 months, here I could have been out walking everyday, oh well my flowers look really nice though! take care all my banded friends, Sunnysea

Sunnysea!! Great to see you here. Good luck on the new job.

Thirtysomething? Moi? How sweet! I have two children, 21 and 23. I'm 47 yrs. young. (it's only a number)

I finally know what real restriction is like. Wow. It feels like I did right after the surgery but I'm not so nauseated. I actually feel great. But I had a troubling tango with a small bite of hamburger yesterday. Ohhh my what a mess. So I think I will choose 24 hours of liquids and then go to mushies for just a bit.

Hi all -

Mymacksy - I think Dr. K is wonderful too. i have done better with this surgery than all other previous ones. No infection was the biggest one for me. Good healing incisions too.

Woofay and I totally agree with the support meeting. It is too big, too general, and not very informative. I think some people might like the meeting, but I get more out of the support I get here, social meetings and good friends.

Lap Dancer - I totally love those pics. We are a beautiful group aren't we?

My fill was pretty uneventful, compared to the first fill (the geyser). We didn't add that much more liquid. I'm at 2.2 or something like that. At first we used a shorter needle, that lost it's place when my belly sat up (my weight is all in front), so I had to have a different longer needle, it went fine. I don't have dynamite restriction, just so - so. It really doesn't feel like after I was banded and Lap Dancer I think you are smart to go light for a bit, to give your band a little TLC. I, on the other hand, went out for sushi that night and did fine, even with some rice. Not a ton of food, but about 750 calories worth. Dr. K. is such a dear. He was so supportive of my weight loss, even the pound a week since surgery. He just said that he was pleased that I was into the healthy weight loss, even on the lessor range of things - not to worry. If I want more, I am going to have to be more diligent (atkins style) even with exercising a lot. Oh well.

I miss you all. I wanted Drews to organize the next meeting, but do it soon!

Sunny - I thought she looks younger too. Are you coming back to Denver anytime this summer, so we can include you in a get together?

Hi Gals!

LapDancer~LOVE the pics! and yes, I was shocked to hear that you had grown children, I was expecting to hear toddler/preschool agers. Good for you. I can't wait until our next "meeting". I hope your fill is working good for you...remember, chew, chew and chew some more. I think I am going to have a problem with chewing.

Dynamonin~glad to hear that you are restricted but not too much, sounds like you are doing great. Keep it up. I can't wait for my first fill....

Sunnysea~we really did miss you, you were there in spirit for sure! I had tears in my eyes when the waitress asked if we knew a Sunnysea...I was like no way! She's here! Then she said that you were on the phone...so VERY thoughtful of you! I hope all is going well with your new fill Dr.

Drews~we missed you too! How's the knee? I hope you are taking it easy!

Hope everyone had a nice Saturday and a blessed Sunday!

Woofay~you are beautiful inside and out! I thought your make up looked flawless (jealous), so what products do you use? I have such a hard time finding something that looks so natural and smooth.

Morning friends!

Doing great on this end. I had 1/3 of the insides of a grinder last night. That meant the dog got some goody in the form of a hero sub roll. Had about 3-4 oz. of the ground meat and it went down one tablespoon at a time. I can feel restriction!

Next gathering July 11? I'll be there with bells on.

Goodmorning our little beach bunny!

Happy to hear that you have good restriction! What kind of dog do you have. I love dogs, mine is truly my best buddy! I have a basset hound, his name is Buddy. No special treats for him though, he is on a diet, he has 15 pounds to lose.

I have been feeling quit hungry the last couple of days. My fill can't come soon enough. I bought more Isopure yesterday to help me feel fuller between my meals, hope that works.

July 11th? That is actually my anniversay day, 20 years with my wonderful hubby!

Enjoy your Sunday, enjoy your beautiful view of the beach (jealous), and enjoy your dog!

Mal - I was going to post the July 11th for our next meeting, but you won't be able to be there. What about the 12th?

Lap Dancer - will you stay overnight one more night so we can get together?

Will the 12th work for everyone? Drews? Woofay? Others?

I don't really care if we go back to Red Robin or not. Any other ideas?

I am doing ok. I worked out. Treated myself to a Starbuck's Iced Soy Latte and hope it gives me some oomf! I have lots to do with very little motivation.

Last night I had a pity party - felt lonely and then head hungry - and ate about a cup of chocolate chips (from the freezer). They just didn't do it for me! I'm trying not to beat myself up for it, it was the first real slip into old behavior since my pre surgery diet.

Hugs to you all,