Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Chewing Gum

I was banded last week and I'm still on liquids. In fact, I'm supposed to be on liquids a total of six weeks before I can begin mushies. So, in an effort to keep my breath from smelling downright skanky, I've been chewing sugarless gum. However, after I've chewed a few pieces, I can't seem to get any more fluids down. It's like there's a gas bubble stuck in my throat and I can't quite belch it up. Anyone else have this problem with gum or could something else be going on?

I was told I couldn't have gum, too big of a chance of swallowing it so I haven't had that problem. Bless your heart that's a long time with liquids. Luckily my doc was one week liquids, one week mushies then soft Proteins then reg. food. I hope it goes by fast for you, that's a long time. Good luck.

Yeah, I've been staying away from gum all together since banding, for that same reason... i'm really bad for swallowing gum. I've always done it. So.... I always keep mints on hand. Works for me.

And Randi, you're probably swallowing alot of air while chewing, and that's what's causing you problems.... switch to mints!

Oh great. I chew gum every day. I never really thought about what would happen if I swallowed it. Im thinking that would not be good though. I use it to fight my sugar cravings. I guess I have to find something else now.

I read that those Listerine breath strips work great and help satisfy your hunger. I haven't tried it for that, but they are kind of nasty and I wouldn't necessarily want to eat something after tasting them. You might give them a try as they disolve on your tongue.

I would stay away from chewing gum. Too much chance of swallowing it and also putting air in your stomach.

I no longer drink, I no longer smoke - anything- I use splenda instead of sugar ( actually i really do like it better) I eat very small amounts of all the foods I love and stay away totally from all the salty stuff I love but I can not give up my gum! I am a pack a day chewer. Never had a problem with swallowing it tho. Does the extra saliva go towards my liquid intake??!!

You CAN give it up, you chose not to. There is a difference. We all need to make choices and I guess you've made yours. Hope you never swallow it accidently and have issues. ;)

Well actualy chewing gum shouldn't affect your liquids diet, go to your doctor to find out if you have a complication.

Wow! Kinda harsh comments to someone who wants to hold onto chewing gum. It's not like she's gonna kill herself chewing gum...geez! Chew on I say if it makes you happy!

I was told absolutely no gum - it can get stuck. I feel like if I have to pay to have an unfill over a nickle stick of gum I will do without. I'm not banded yet but have already broke the habit.

Sorry didn't mean to come off harsh. I have heard horror stories of people who swallowed gum, it got stuck, and had to have it surgically removed. For me, its not worth the risk.

I'm not perfect, but I do try to adhere to the bandster rules. If I wasn't going to do that I wouldn't have been banded. Sometimes we play the part of enablers on this board and let others think its alright to break the rules. Just my opinion of course.

I agree that sometimes we play the part of enablers around here but at the same time people come here for support and we need to be compassionate to them. I'm sure you didn't mean to come off as harsh, just wanted to let you know how I took it. No harm done.

I am by no means perfect either, I don't think any of us are. Sometimes I think we all need to remember that and while we are entitled to our opinions we need to be sensitive to how others perceive our words.

Peace out.

Thanks everyone for responding. I ran a little experiment yesterday at work; I abstained from gum all day and just focused on the liquids. Then at the end of the day, I tried some gum. What did I learn you may ask?

Both liquids and gum add air! However, it's easier to expel the air from the liquids. Gum, on the other hand, seems to just keep pumping it in until it's difficult to get the liquids down. So needless to say, gum is definitely off the list for now (and maybe even forever).

Luckily, I'm not too attached to gum. But pre-band, if I purchased it or it was offered to me, I chewed it. So, finding a replacement shouldn't be too difficult.