Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello Everone!

I turned 18 on March 17, 2013 and I had my surgery on March 26th. I've been doing my best to get up during the day and just pace around my house or go up and down the stairs. When did most people start getting into light exercise like taking a walk outside? I just want to make sure I'm getting the most out of this operation. Just looking to hear peoples stories of what kind of exercises they started out doing, how intense, and for how long :) Thank you for your support and help!

Rest and recover for 2 weeks, walk everyday, multiple times if possible, walk further each time if possible. As tolerated start walking quicker, longer trips, etc. There's no way I would have even attempted to do anything if my body told me no, you'll end up in the hospital if you pull something or end up not being able to stay on track. For now your job is to recover and walk, sip Water. Afterwards, you can start incorporating light weights, faster cardio as well. Did your doctor not give any restrictions or timelines to follow? It's best to talk to them so they know what you're doing and they can advise you on how fast your journey is supposed to move along. I did start lifting a week early, but was told by my Dr. to do so if I felt I could handle it with ease, but the first sign of discomfort in the ab area I was to stop all activity except walking.

Off topic question did you self pay?

Off topic question did you self pay?

I did self pay, my family and I had been working for quite a while to get the insurance to cover it and it clearly said in their guidelines that if I met certain criteria (which I did) they would cover it - but they didn't budge! Why do you ask?

Because you had it done so fast. I assumed you did cause most insurances will not cover unless you're 18+

Did you appeal? And then file with the state regulator? If you're covered and you KNOW you meet the requirements they legally cannot turn you down for coverage.

Did you appeal? And then file with the state regulator? If you're covered and you KNOW you meet the requirements they legally cannot turn you down for coverage.

I'm not sure what my parents did, they were the ones working with the insurance company and such. I think they just decided it was too much trouble to get the insurance to cover it and they wanted to do it sooner so that I would be healed when I head off to college.