Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Canadian Doctors/Clinics

Just got back from my Dr. appointment and I brought up lap bands. I had brought up gastric by pass over ayear ago and watched him come unglued so I was a bit timid is broaching this. He was all for lap banding. But said that Dr. Mitchell had a waiting list of years. That he only does 10 people a year,,,all in the same week. I told him what I read here, about teh 25 people, and he thought because it was a study. He said he would contact the clinic and start my paperwork.

I have been also seeing Dr. McKenna since May,,and well that hasn't been going well,,all on my part. Well I should say I was seeing her, I have to say I have been avoiding the clinic cause I have not lost anything since I was last there. And I was to loose 20 lbs before Christmas. Or I would have to go on meds for my BP.

Just got back from my Dr. appointment and I brought up lap bands. I had brought up gastric by pass over ayear ago and watched him come unglued so I was a bit timid is broaching this. He was all for lap banding. But said that Dr. Mitchell had a waiting list of years. That he only does 10 people a year,,,all in the same week. I told him what I read here, about teh 25 people, and he thought because it was a study. He said he would contact the clinic and start my paperwork.

I have been also seeing Dr. McKenna since May,,and well that hasn't been going well,,all on my part. Well I should say I was seeing her, I have to say I have been avoiding the clinic cause I have not lost anything since I was last there. And I was to loose 20 lbs before Christmas. Or I would have to go on meds for my BP.

He was wrong about the 10 people in one week. That happened when Dr. Coburn came out to do the training, and that they are alotted for 25 per year currently. This was told to me by Dr. Coburn himself.

If you have BP problems, get them taken care of, It can be pretty serious, dont be concerned about taking meds for it. lots of people do.

Andrew

Angie,

I too had high blood pressure and was prescibed meds in January 2005. It was then that I started looking into weight loss surgery more seriously. I also have low thyroid so the thought of taking more meds did not bother me.

It is a long weight to get into see the surgeons as you have to be part of the Weight Management Clinic for six months prior to seeing a surgeon, and the wait to get into the WMC is about six months. There are programs that you can self-refer to and get into a little bit quicker that are all part of the Living Well Program through the Calgary Health Region. Call 9-HEALTH to find out more information on them. I think once you get into the system that when you say you are also interested in the Weight Management Clinc, you may get in there faster.

If you have funds available to self-pay, the surgery I had in Mexico was really quick and easy. The surgeon I had trained the doctors in Toronto, so I know his skills were exceptional since they are now training other doctors. If you have your surgery in Mexico you also get more money back from Alberta Health Care once you submit your receipt to them as there is a reciprical health care agreement between provinces that limits the amount that you get to what would be paid in the province where the surgery is performed. If you go to Mexico, you get the Alberta rate, which is substantially more than the Ontario rate. Going to ON you should expect to get back about $1,000. Going to Mexico it is closer to $2,000.

Drs. Mitchell and Descoteaux have no issues taking care of people banded in other places, so the after care is really good. Dr. Descoteaux in particular is trying to get more funding and as much as they were limited to 25 in 2006, they did get approval this week to do another 10 in the next couple of weeks prior to them finding out about the funding for 2007.

I am only 2 1/2 months out from surgery and it has been well worth it already for me. Just losing 20 pounds my blood pressure is back to normal and I don't have to take those meds anymore. Every bit counts towards becoming healthier and happier people.

Thanks Andrew and Julie, I knew coming in here I would learn more from what others have gone through.

I know we don't have the money to pay for this surgery...so Im one of those that will have to wait.

What my Dr. said was that Dr. Coburn was the one to train Dr. Mitchell,,,and so Julie what you are saying is your Dr. trained Dr. Coburn?

this is a small world...

My BP isn't all that bad, right now life is throwing lemons and when that happens I tend to have a higher BP and tend to eat...gotta love that emotional eating.

I will be calling the number you gave me Julie,,,thanks again.

Angie

Angie,

If you are interested there is a "Food & Mood" class coming up the first two weeks in February at Cardel Place from 6:00-7:30. It specifically deals with reasons why we eat, when we eat and what we eat. I think it has a lot to do with emotional eating. From what I have heard it is one of the best classes offered in relation to food. It is free, so just call the 9-HEALTH number and see if there is still space.