Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to this, first appointment on Monday with Dr. Nicholson here in Texas. I'm 263 and 5'8 which puts me right under the 40 BMI. I have insulin resistance without being diabetic (yet), arthritis, high cholesterol, etc. I lost 60 lbs about 6 years ago, and have put it all back on in the past 2 years. I have been trying on my own to drop again, for the past 6 months with very little success - metabolism has plummeted. I have zero energy and am depressed and sleep is my best friend. Has anyone been approved by Cigna without a 6 month wait? The thought of waiting for this when I've really made the decision is tough to think about, and I'm already discouraged with myself as it is. I eat fairly healthily, my problem has ALWAYS been with my enormous capacity for food. The sleeve really seems to be the very best, and only surgical option that I will consider.

Any suggestions? Should I go way back in time and obtain medical records of my weight through the years?

They will ask for medical records, at least they did for me for 3 years and I still had to do the 6 months of supervised diet. I initially thought that the 6 months was so long, and yeah I hate waiting, I really hate it but there is a lot you have to prepare for. This is major surgery and not something to be taken lightly. You have to have a complete physical, a psych eval, meeting with nutritionist, not to mention the pre-op testing that your surgeon may want to get done (from basic lab work to gi studies sleep studies and whatever else they deem necessary). Look at the six months as not a wait but preparing for surgery. No one should jump at this surgery, and that is part of what the insurance wants to make sure too. So the way I look at it: "Whatever hoops/timeframes the insurance wants to give me..bring it on". This is one battle I can't lose. Good luck and know it will fly by, 6 mos is nothing.

There is usually a 3-6 month weight with insurances

Mine required a full 90 day

Thanks - 90 days I can handle, as I will be in India for the month of May. I'd like to have this done while the kids are at my parent's house this summer. I think ANY diet is easier to follow when one doesn't have to cook for the children.

I just have to ask, what is wrong with a 6 month wait? take this time to go to the support groups, get involved in an exercise program and explore all of the Protein powders to see which one suits you, it will take a good 3-4 months to get through the whole process that we all have to endure and believe me, It's worth it to things right. I am back here, after 4 years of dealing with the stupid BAND, and I wish I would have taken MORE TIME to get it right, follow the rules and know exactly what I was getting into. I know you that you want "the fix" , but the truth is, there is a lot of work on the other side and it dosn't stop with surgery, that is just the beginning. don't worry about your BMI, begin to walk and enjoy life. Look into the support groups for real, they are wonderful and very supportative. just saying, Karen

What's wrong with a six month wait? Everything. I've worked my tail off trying to lose this weight on my own. Five years ago I lost 60 lbs, kept it off for two, but then it all came back after we moved from Miami to Maine and I faced 9 months of winter and dreary snow instead of daily bike riding and sunshine. Now that we are in TX, I have been trying very hard and have managed to only drop 10 lbs in 5 months. I am beyond frustrated, I'm tired of having zero energy, and I'm ready to go after considering this option for years. I am 42 years old, and I don't want to be fat any longer. I want to be full after eating a small amount, I want to be setting a positive example to my 9 and 11 year old children, I want to work out hard and see the results happening, not do it and be miserable because the weight is not coming off. I'm tired of feeling hungry all the time, capacity is my issue, we eat a pretty healthy diet around here. I've been through this before, I've done the work, and I'm ready to go. I think 3 months is great, it gives time to get prepared, get organized, and hopefully be rewarded by dropping a few more pounds prior to surgery. I am not a support group person, I'm more of a Type A self motivator type, and in every other area of my life, I've been successful with that. The only area in which I truly struggle is with my weight and my slowing metabolism. If you have surgery and don't follow the rules and regain, that's another issue. Lap band would not be my choice at all, I know which Protein powders work for me, I've been using different ones as I struggle with this ongoing battle. I'm not new to the game, I'm an old pro at every diet out there. It's time for something drastic, and I am not entering into this lightly. So, yeah, 6 months is yet another barrier to entry into a healthy, energetic, and happy lifestyle. As I travel for work overseas, I'm also limited on the times of years that I can possibly have surgery.

I just have to ask, what is wrong with a 6 month wait? take this time to go to the support groups, get involved in an exercise program and explore all of the Protein powders to see which one suits you, it will take a good 3-4 months to get through the whole process that we all have to endure and believe me, It's worth it to things right. I am back here, after 4 years of dealing with the stupid BAND, and I wish I would have taken MORE TIME to get it right, follow the rules and know exactly what I was getting into. I know you that you want "the fix" , but the truth is, there is a lot of work on the other side and it dosn't stop with surgery, that is just the beginning. don't worry about your BMI, begin to walk and enjoy life. Look into the support groups for real, they are wonderful and very supportative. just saying, Karen

6 months is half a year..usually people don't just wake up and decide they want surgery. I have been researching for a few months as it is. To wait another 6 months is ridiculous

AGAIN, what is wrong with going through the process? if there for a reason that you don't want to jump through the insurance hoops, then self pay in Mexico. Surgery is only the beginning, there is the REST of your life on the other side.