Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does the surgery help with energy?

For some reason I have to have 12 hours of sleep before I am fully rested. Not sure if it has to do with weight or not but wondering if anyone else slept a lot before surgery and came out needing to sleep less? I'm almost completely nocturnal because I only dream in the morning and in the day and at night is when I feel alive and active but I don't want to have to sleep for 12 hours.

Do you have sleep apnea? If you do and are not using your mask it could be causing sleep issues, I would check with your doctor.

Do you have sleep apnea? If you do and are not using your mask it could be causing sleep issues, I would check with your doctor.

I had a sleep study a few years ago. They said I don't have apnea but I was not reaching the dream stage of sleep.

Does the surgery help with energy?

YES :)

for years i always carried 2 suitcases :angry:

they each weighed 52.5 lbs :(

decided to get rid of that heavy load :)

boy do i feel better!!! ;)

Oh I TOTALLY feel the same way -- and I had a sleep study done recently too that said nothing was wrong. So I figure the extra weight I'm carrying around is what makes me tired. How can it not? (grammy the suitcases metaphor is awesome lol) I've been concerned because many people on here say right after surgery they are tired easily; I guess that's to be expected in immediate recovery. But I have faith that once some of the weight begins to come off I will feel better (I'm pre-op btw). The whole energy thing is a huge reason why I'm getting WLS. I'm tired of being tired!

Oh I TOTALLY feel the same way -- and I had a sleep study done recently too that said nothing was wrong. So I figure the extra weight I'm carrying around is what makes me tired. How can it not? (grammy the suitcases metaphor is awesome lol) I've been concerned because many people on here say right after surgery they are tired easily; I guess that's to be expected in immediate recovery. But I have faith that once some of the weight begins to come off I will feel better (I'm pre-op btw). The whole energy thing is a huge reason why I'm getting WLS. I'm tired of being tired!

yep me too. I was diagnosed as a kid and teen with ADHD but now I sleep a ton..where the heck did all that energy go?!?! Lmao

I had a sleep study a few years ago. They said I don't have apnea but I was not reaching the dream stage of sleep.< /p>

Do you have to do a new sleep study? With it being a few years ago it could be a new thing. This past year my energy has dropped immensely. I thought it was because 9 months ago I became the full time caregiver to my 90yo grandmother, she has dementia and bad sun downers and she wakes me up 3-4 nights a week 1-10 times in any given night. I also put on 30lbs in the past 9 months due to stress and lack of activity. Well I just found out I have moderate sleep apnea, I was shocked, I have been known to snore if I roll on my back, but I am an avid side sleeper, I don't wake up (or at least can't tell) but let me tell you this I am exhausted all of the time, any given time I could lie down and take a nap. I have my titration sleep study on Friday, I have heard it helps a lot... Here is hoping!

Do you have to do a new sleep study? With it being a few years ago it could be a new thing. This past year my energy has dropped immensely. I thought it was because 9 months ago I became the full time caregiver to my 90yo grandmother, she has dementia and bad sun downers and she wakes me up 3-4 nights a week 1-10 times in any given night. I also put on 30lbs in the past 9 months due to stress and lack of activity. Well I just found out I have moderate sleep apnea, I was shocked, I have been known to snore if I roll on my back, but I am an avid side sleeper, I don't wake up (or at least can't tell) but let me tell you this I am exhausted all of the time, any given time I could lie down and take a nap. I have my titration sleep study on Friday, I have heard it helps a lot... Here is hoping!

the problem with the sleep study was I'm nocturnal I am awake at night and they made me sleep, I have to take prescribed meds to sleep but in order to have slept for the sleep study they had to do something stronger because on top of being nocturnal it is twice as hard to sleep when I'm excited or nervous. I often think its the pills that make me so tired but when I was skinny I had lots of energy regardless of the pills I took, sure I had a harder time waking up but I never had to drink coffee or energy drinks. I still don't have to use those but if I wake up early I knock out durning the day which makes me stay up later anyways. When I go to bed before 12 I wake up wide awake at 4am and then can't go back to sleep till 8 am then I'm sleeping all day again. But no matter what I still have to sleep a lot to be awake