Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating in a Restaurant

When I go into a restaurant, I have a hard time choosing what to eat. I used to pick what would give me the most food but now I just can't eat that much. Most menu items seem to be too much or not agreeable with my band. The only thing that really appeals to me is the senior or kid's portions. Not to mention the prices are cheaper.

Does anybody know the general "accepted" rule for ordering off of the senior menu or the kid's menu? Are there any particular restaurants that are "band friendly?" If I order from these menus, will I be told that I have to order from the regular menu? I haven't done it yet but I'm tired of wasting food and money.

Some restaurants do have age restrictions and mainly because they do have to make money so they don't want to set precidence for selling seats for discounted food items. Unless you told them, they would have no idea that you were ordering from these menus because you simply can't eat beyond those portions.

When I go to a restaurant I always order the same thing.....a toasted peameal BLT.....no butter, no mayo...and well toasted. I load it up with mustard, salt and pepper for flavour. Instead of fries I pay a bit extra to have a small salad with low fat dressing on the side....if they don't have the low fat option then I use my own (I keep the single portion packs in my purse). I always make a request for a take out container when my meal arrives and I immediately package up what I know I can't eat....then, I don't feel so overwhelmed with what's on my plate.

If I'm fine dining I order a light mild fish and ask that it be baked with no added fat. I order extra veg instead of potatoes. I eat half and ask for the rest to be packed up to take home. Or, if they have muscles as an appetizer I will order that as my dinner. Sometimes I order two appetizers and share one with my husband.

Carol

<TABLE width=700 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>

<TABLE cellSpacing=10 cellPadding=10 width=765 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=765 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>WLS Card Friendly Restaurants

The following are restaurants identified by ObesityHelp members as accepting WLS cards or offering an open children’s menu to all ages.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="80%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD>

Golden Corral

</TD><TD>

Olive Garden

</TD><TD>

Chili’s

</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>

Applebee’s

</TD><TD>

Red Lobster

</TD><TD>

Denny’s

</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>

Cracker Barrel

</TD><TD>

Outback Steak House

</TD><TD>

The Keg

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

*Many of these establishments are privately owned. Contact your local restaurant in advance to see what they offer.

Cards are not accepted at all restaurants

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=765 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>WLS Restaurant Card

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>menu.jpg

</TD><TD>

1. Print this card on heavy paper.

2. Fill in the blanks.

3. Cut the card out.

4. (Optional) Laminate the card to protect it for future use.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=765 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>food Industry Facts

According to the National Restaurant Association’s Restaurant Industry Forecast, 2004:

· On a typical day in 2004, the restaurant industry posted average sales of nearly $1.2 billion dollars.

· The number of restaurants in the United States totaled 870,000 in 2003.

· The restaurant industry employs more than 11.7 million people, making it the nation’s largest private-sector employer.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=765 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Suggestions for those who would rather not ask

· Doggie Bags are a wonderful thing! Take home leftovers and have a great re-heated lunch the next day!

· Just order Soup or an appetizer.

· Split a meal. Most restaurants will provide a second plate for free or just a buck. Always ask first!

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD></TR><TR><TD><SCRIPT type=text/javascript><!-- google_ad_client = "pub-4190826891964456"; google_alternate_ad_url = "http://www.obesityhelp.com"; google_ad_width = 728; google_ad_height = 90; google_ad_format = "728x90_as"; google_ad_type = "text"; google_ad_channel =""; google_color_border = "FFFFFF"; google_color_bg = "FFFFFF"; google_color_link = "3D81EE"; google_color_url = "3D81EE"; google_color_text = "666666"; //--></SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js" type=text/javascript> </SCRIPT><IFRAME name=google_ads_frame marginWidth=0 marginHeight=0 src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/ads?client=ca-pub-4190826891964456&dt=1164731319468&lmt=1164731319&alternate_ad_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.obesityhelp.com&format=728x90_as&output=html&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.obesityhelp.com%2Fmagazine%2FRestaurantCard.html&color_bg=FFFFFF&color_text=666666&color_link=3D81EE&color_url=3D81EE&color_border=FFFFFF&ad_type=text&cc=353&u_h=800&u_w=1280&u_ah=770&u_aw=1280&u_cd=32&u_tz=-360&u_his=8&u_java=true" frameBorder=0 width=728 scrolling=no height=90 allowTransparency></IFRAME>

Print this up and laminate it. It tells of a few who will let you order off of the kids menu. I also use my inamed card to show proof of my surgery. Do you have one of those. They gave me mine the day of surgery. Hope this helps.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I wish that restaurants would allow us to buy smaller portions of regular menu items, rather than ordering off the children's menu. Quite frankly, I have no interest in eating typical children's menu offerings like PBJ, chicken fingers, and mac and cheese. So, as long as I can get leftovers to a fridge in a reasonable time, I opt for ordering off the regular menu and taking home a doggie bag. If I can't save leftovers, then I usually go with Soup and salad, or just leave the leftovers and remind myself that it's better that the extra food goes "to waste", rather than "to waist"!

Tami

I try to order things that 1)I know I can eat and 2)I know will make good leftovers later.

Some recent things included Arroz con pollo(chicken and rice, I didn't eat much of the rice), a mexican stew with onions, mushrooms and chicken. Salmon. Chicken on it's own doesn't work well, it doesn't re-heat very well.

I only order what I think I can eat, whether it be on the regular menu, as an appetizer, or as a child's plate. I always expect to pay full price and am delighted if I get it cheaper. If it is something that will keep I order a regular meal and take the rest home. If I'm with someone who likes the same type of food we will share a meal. You can really control the situation when in a restaurant if you are looking for the right food, not a cheaper price. I've never given any explanations as to why I order the way I do. In my opinion it doesn't really mater.

I just look at it like I go out to eat to catch up with friends or family. I'm more than happy to pay the price of a main course meal for that. I dont really care how little I eat of it. I look at it like the cost is for the enjoyment of the evening, not the actual food.

Although I did balk at $60 for a Chinsese Banquet! I sat that one out and just chose something myself.

But really, I just leave what I cant eat and dont fuss over "wasted" money becuase its not wasted if you've had a nice evening out.

I just look at it like I go out to eat to catch up with friends or family. I'm more than happy to pay the price of a main course meal for that. I dont really care how little I eat of it. I look at it like the cost is for the enjoyment of the evening, not the actual food.

Although I did balk at $60 for a Chinsese Banquet! I sat that one out and just chose something myself.

But really, I just leave what I cant eat and dont fuss over "wasted" money becuase its not wasted if you've had a nice evening out.

I feel the same way. Even at buffets I am ok with paying full price. I mean they didn't charge me double when I was huge and ate trice as much as most so I feel this is karma to pay for eating so little. Just being able to go out and enjoy myself, not to mention that I can fit in booths now and don't have to have an anxiety attack worrying about the seating arrangent. Small sacrifice to me.

I usually order fish or shrimp if they are on the menu, both reheat well. I will also order an appitizer or side dish. We often order 2 meals for my DH, DD and myself. Usually my DD and I share a meal. She isn't much for hot dogs and chicken tenders, and I would prefer her to eat a more healthy meal over a kids meal. ~Mandy

I always tell the waitress/waiter that I had surgery and can only eat 4 ounces of food. I have ever had anybody tell me I cant get order from the kids menu. And we eat out a lot. Most people just say thats its not a problem. I cant see paying all that money when we cant even eat half of an adult meal. Jennifer

I order the kids meals all the time. I prefer the smaller portion. Of course if they only have chicken fingers and pb and j sandwiches, then I skip the kids menu. I also like to have leftovers so if there is something that will reheat well, that is my choice.

We went to Chili's for cinner tonight, and I brought over 1/2 of my dinner home...and I did order off the childrens menu!!!

I had the ribs (1/2 rack--on the kids meal!) and loaded mashed potatoes. I know I should have had veggies, but they sounded so good!!! The waiter did not even blink an eye at my ordering off of the kids menu.

Now way to often anymore I end up throwing out the leftovers, because I never get around to eating them!!! Used to be several tupperware type containers of leftovers in my fridge, now there is always styrofoam containers as well!!!

Kat

I also love left overs. When we go to Chilli's I can get the chicken crispers and take home enough left overs for two meals. I guess in some ways you get more for your money with the band. I know we save a lot of money in food now. :-)

Chili's has always been good about adults ordering off the kids menu. They just don't give the adults the free kids drink. At least that is the way it is around my neck of the woods.

I just order off the regular menu. I had the band for me- the resturants are in the busines of selling huge portions. So I just look at it as another meal I dont have to fix. I take whats left home for lunch the next day or so. If I go with someone who wants to split a plate I do that otherwise I never attempt to order off the smaller menu. The child and senior plate is still too big and not enough to bother with the left overs!! Go for the healthier main menu items and enjoy whats left!

Good Luck