Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

carbs in the morning?

I am starting to up my daily calorie payload to keep up with my physical activity. Also want to up my good carbs.

I have read that eating good carbs in the morning are processed more optimally then good carbs in the after noon or evening. Have you found this to be true? I am mostly getting good carbs through energy squares. No fruit or nuts in raw form. No breads or sweets. I do try and eat raw veggies when the sleeve cooperates. Still struggle a bit on raw veggies that have not been cooked or steamed.

What I want to try is adding an extra 150 calories daily by adding two energy squares from nuts.com to my first meal. I eat 5-6 x a day, targetting about 150 calories per meal of mostly Protein. The exception is on running days when I pop 2 energy squares about 20 minutes before start.

Traditionally, I eat only a shake for the first meal and it never "fills me up" Adding the energy squares should not be a problem in terms of volume. Should I have more then 2?

This change will have a net affect of increasing daily calories to 1350 and net carbs to about 50. I feel like I want to try and edge my caloric payload up to 1800 a day, but I am still trying to figure out a balance between calories in and calories out. I haven't done the fancy tests that check BMR nor will I at this time. Do not have the finances to do these tests.

On running days, I burn between 1000 - 1200 calories. My intensity is probably 8/10 so really pushing my body full out. Trying to make every training session count and be a building block for the next training session. On non running days, I probably burn about 700, depending on whether cross fitting, hiking, ellyptical, etc.

Do you have other suggestions on how to increase calories and good carbs for a person who is very physically active and at goal weight?

consider an orange or apple. There is nothing wrong with fruits and veggies, the carbs are handled dfferently than grain and nuts. I eat or drink almost no suppliments now, but I have been able to amp up almost every type of physical exercize I was doing since I laid off animal protien and focused of veggies, fruits and leafy greens (no lettuce, no lettuce, no lettuce).

I could not have ate this way to begin, but I wish I had tried it in the late fall (about 10 months post op), rather that just a few months ago (about a year post op).

Used to really love apples and have at least one a day. Haven't had any in 10 months or so. It would be "hard" for me to get used to eating fruit again. Do not like oranges very much, never have. Kiwi, star fruit and passion fruit are good. I used to like the tropical, more exotic, fruits. Well, exotic to a person like me anyways.

consider an orange or apple. There is nothing wrong with fruits and veggies, the carbs are handled dfferently than grain and nuts. I eat or drink almost no suppliments now, but I have been able to amp up almost every type of physical exercize I was doing since I laid off animal protien and focused of veggies, fruits and leafy greens (no lettuce, no lettuce, no lettuce).

I could not have ate this way to begin, but I wish I had tried it in the late fall (about 10 months post op), rather that just a few months ago (about a year post op).

What are your main Protein sources? about how many g of Protein do you strive for/day? (I am a vegetarian, so that's why I'm asking). thank you!

Used to really love apples and have at least one a day. Haven't had any in 10 months or so. It would be "hard" for me to get used to eating fruit again. Do not like oranges very much, never have. Kiwi, star fruit and passion fruit are good. I used to like the tropical, more exotic, fruits. Well, exotic to a person like me anyways.

Fiddleman, if you wanted to try an apple, maybe you could start with peeling half of one and microwaving it a bit to soften it and see how you do. I have heard of others doing that post-VSG.

spinach about 7 grams per serv.

tofu, Beans, banannas (a near perfect food), kale, Beans, and there are much more.

raw and whole food sites provide great sources, even if you do not eat a whole food lifestyle.

I cannot claim to have a "lifestyle" of eating. I have some rules, which serve me well, and I have make an effort to listen to my body to learn how to adjust as necessary.

I eat from all 5 color groups daily.

I have some no-break rules:

No grains. just none. or very exceptionally rarely.

No fast food. Period. At all. Nothing from those locations, either. If I am not there, I will not eat it.

No refined sugar. At all.

No "treats" - 14 months out I have become very aware these things are, for me, not treats. My ability to feel and be awesome and present in my daily life is both my treat and reward.

I do allow animal protien to sneak in and if not I will purposefully have some about 2x a week.

What are your main Protein sources? about how many g of Protein do you strive for/day? (I am a vegetarian, so that's why I'm asking). thank you!

spinach about 7 grams per serv.

tofu, Beans, banannas (a near perfect food), kale, Beans, and there are much more.

raw and whole food sites provide great sources, even if you do not eat a whole food lifestyle.

I cannot claim to have a "lifestyle" of eating. I have some rules, which serve me well, and I have make an effort to listen to my body to learn how to adjust as necessary.

I eat from all 5 color groups daily.

I have some no-break rules:

No grains. just none. or very exceptionally rarely.

No fast food. Period. At all. Nothing from those locations, either. If I am not there, I will not eat it.

No refined sugar. At all.

No "treats" - 14 months out I have become very aware these things are, for me, not treats. My ability to feel and be awesome and present in my daily life is both my treat and reward.

I do allow animal protien to sneak in and if not I will purposefully have some about 2x a week.

Thanks Pookeyism. Do you have a goal of how many Protein grams/day you strive for? Thanks!

Any other thoughts from longer term sleevers? My diet is mostly whole foods with the exception of processed chicken (eg costco products) and energy squares, shakes and Protein Bars. Do not know if you would classify energy squares as processed as they are technically made from organic foods. For shakes and bars, I try and choose the ones that have the most organic ingredient list in addition to low carb, fat. Sometimes energy squares give me a bit of gas and diarrhea so I think my dealings with carbs is going to be an uphill battle. Otherwise, I enjoy eating leafy green, peppers, edamame and other veggies. I always am mindful when I eat out to creatively choose or request menu items that are healthy, low carb and low fat. What else?

what are energy squares?

what are energy squares?

Some of the vets who are runners buy these energy square from nuts.com for additional nutritional needs... Before and during their runs.

Some of the vets who are runners buy these energy square from nuts.com for additional nutritional needs... Before and during their runs.

Yup - love the energy squares for good energy during runs an hour or longer. Great source of good carbs and tasty too. Highly recommend chocolate paradise from nuts.com., but you may want to try out some other flavors to see what suits you.

I actually just eat a Thomas multi grain light english muffin, lightly buttered and no sugar Jam as carb and still gave up adding breads and Pasta allot. First I drink blender drink adding Protein source and then a muffin after that goes down just not every day but its my carb thing in the AM's.

Also, maybe not Breakfast but I plan to finally have these veggie Quinoa burgers I wanted too soon, and use Panko bread crumbs on chicken tenders where I can eat one chicken tender as a snack or 1 or 2 as meal adding side to it, one chicken tender wouldn't be wrong between breakfast and luch early day for me though too.

I haven't done the fancy tests that check BMR

Do you have other suggestions on how to increase calories and good carbs for a person who is very physically active and at goal weight?

Hi Fiddleman.

Re BMR. Do you not have medical insurance? My endocrinologist does my BMR testing....

It seems from your post that your carbs come from energy squares and veg. I agree with pokeyism about adding in fruit. Both veg and fruit are hard to digest. We burn calories during the digestion of veg and fruit. I often eat apple and Peanut Butter or apple sauce before high cardio output activity. No so much on days when I weight train. I still do low impact aerobics on those days but I just don't require the carbs.

Also beans! I eat a half cup most days. On a recent controlled trial of high cholesterol patients, patients who ate a half cup of Beans every day for 30 days lowered their bad cholesterol 60 points!!! The bean type did not matter. My cholesterol is great but I am genetically loaded for that to change any minute :)

In another Harvard study, people who ate two apples a day did better than ppl on a PPI for acid reflux treatment. Apples are great for workouts! Applesauce is great on the go.

Is this the type of feedback you're looking for?

Hi Fiddleman.

Re BMR. Do you not have medical insurance? My endocrinologist does my BMR testing....

It seems from your post that your carbs come from energy squares and veg. I agree with pokeyism about adding in fruit. Both veg and fruit are hard to digest. We burn calories during the digestion of veg and fruit. I often eat apple and Peanut Butter or apple sauce before high cardio output activity. No so much on days when I weight train. I still do low impact aerobics on those days but I just don't require the carbs.

Also beans! I eat a half cup most days. On a recent controlled trial of high cholesterol patients' date=' patients who ate a half cup of Beans every day for 30 days lowered their bad cholesterol 60 points!!! The bean type did not matter. My cholesterol is great but I am genetically loaded for that to change any minute :)

In another Harvard study, people who ate two apples a day did better than ppl on a PPI for acid reflux treatment. Apples are great for workouts! Applesauce is great on the go.

Is this the type of feedback you're looking for?

[/quote']

Good ideas. I think I am just going to need to get over my mind blocks towards natural fruits and veggies. I know it will happen. It is just one of those transitioning things from weight loss phase to maintain phase. Still trying to adapt in a way that will suit me for the rest of my life and not put weight back on. For now, I am sneaking in carbs from veggies and energy squares as you mention, but watch out, I am going to be eating an apple soon! I have a secret passion for apples for most of my life so can't wait to eat them again. One thing that keeps bugging me is not being able to eat raw leafy vegetables! I was eating out last night at panera off their secret menu and ordered chicken hummus bowl. Good, but I struggled with the leafy spinach that made up most of the bowl. I can usually only eat spinach if it is cooked in with something else like peanut sauce at a Thai place or steamed. It would be great to be able to eat raw veggies without them getting stuck, but alas, have to wait longer.

As for insurance, I have awesome coverage. I am going to need to go find me an endocrinologist. Never have needed one of those before. Should I get a referral through my PCP?