Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Guest LISA LEE

Guest LISA LEE

HELLO EVERYONE,MY NAME IS LISA AND I AM NEW TO THE SITE. I WILL BE HAVING MY SURGERY AUGUST 2. I AM VERY EXCITED, TO START A NEW BEGINNING WITH THE LAP BAND.

I ALSO AM SCARED TO HAVE THE SURGERY, AS WELL.BUT AM GOING TO GO THROUGH WITH IT.

MY FAMILY IS SUPPORTIVE TO SOME DEGREE, THEY CHANGE THERE MIND , EVERYTIME THEY HEAR SOMETHING BAD ABOUT THE SURGERY, AND BECAUSE THIS IS SO NEW TO THE U.S. BUT OF COURSE THEY ALL HAVE NEVER HAD A WEIGHT PROBLOM.

WELL I HOPE TO BE ABLE TO CHAT WITH YOU ALL SOMETIME SOON...

LISA LEE

Congrats on your upcoming date, and welcome!!! The band is a wonderful gift to give yourself. Make sure you read as much as possible so you know what to expect. Ask a lot of questions here.

Good luck!!

Guest LISA LEE

Hi Donali,

Thank you for the welcome. I see you have had your band removed because of erosion,could you tell me why and how that happens.

I am reading all I can about the surgery,i wantto no the good and bad.

Lisa Lee

Lisa Lee: Congrats on your surgery date. I will keep you in my prayers for a speedy recovery.

Hi Donali,

I have been reading all your info and just wanted to say thanks for it - it has been informative.

I am going to my first appt in 2 weeks but am going to see 3 different surgeons as I want to talk to all 3 before deciding who to go with.

I have a question ???

I havent read to much negative stuff on the banding but have been told by a friend who had the bypass that she decided to go with the bypass as she had read many horror stories about the band, I know about slippage, ersosian, and ofcourse the possibility of blood clots, are there other risks or information that would be good for me to know or read about.

Thanks

How are you? and how is it going being solo now?

I think about you and wondered how you were.

Why do you think the band makes a difference?

Bye for now Ruth

In my opinion. There is no, I repeat NO complication from the band that is any way form or fashion nearly as bad as those from a bypass can be.

I just had a new band placed on Friday, due to slippage and had a hiatal hernia repaired in the process. My intestines are still intact, my body's capability to absorb nutrients is still in working order. I still have my whole stomach and no staple line to break. If I got erosion, I could take the band out and still have all my parts. I could also still decide to do the bypass if I absolutely had to. If I did the bypass first, I would have none of these things and no way to reverse it once it's done.

Also, there is supposedly a window of opportunity with the bypass where you can lose weight. Then, the body learns to adapt to the changes and will allow weight to be gained back. With the band, I can have it adjusted and continue to lose or maintain my current weight, without the window limitation.

I wish you much luck with your decision!

Leatha

banded 5/29/03 - Dr. Wetter/San Francisco

Slippage repair - 07/16/04 - Dr. Veninga/ Texas

250/190/140??

Hi Ruth -

If you're interested in horror stories you'd have much more fodder reading RnY sites (NOT bashing RnY, just being truthful). Slippage and erosion are considered the worst complications. The other things like vomiting are generally things the patient has control over, and also affects RnYers as well. There is also chances of port infections, and some general discomfort due to the port itself. Many people can forget all about the equipment installed inside of them, others may always have a twinge here and there. My port was almost always a little uncomfortable, and I did tear the sutures and have to have the port repositioned. That required another surgery.

Slippage and erosion generally require another surgery - for slippage, either to reposition or remove the band, for erosion to remove the band. Sometimes these complications are extremely painful, and can be an emergent-type situation. Vomiting is always a concern once you're banded, as it can cause slippage, or even in severe cases it can twist the stomach, cutting off blood flow and requiring emergency surgery. I have only heard of that happening once, but I'm sure it has happened more often.

These types of complications are generally rare - slippage occurs more frequently than erosion. Erosion rates are listed as 1-3%.

It is possible that in a severe slippage or erosion case that permanent damage could be done to the stomach - but generally that is not the case.

I think the VAST majority of people do well with the band, with minor to no unpleasant side effects.

I am unaware of any other possible complications besides:

vomiting (usually under patient control)

equipment failure (port disconnects, leaking tubing)

infection

obstruction

reflux

slippage

erosion

Of course, there is always the possibility of surgeon error, regardless of the type of surgery.

Hope this helps.

As far as why do I think the band works?

1. The band rests on the vagal nerve, stimulating a full feeling.

2. It restricts the passage of food from the pouch to the lower stomach, creating stomach "stretch" on a smaller amount of food, which also turns on the "full" signal.

3. With good restriction, it becomes impossible to overeat solid food.

4. The band MAKES you eat slower, and chew better - habits recommended to all people.

Patient behaviour can defeat the band - it is just a tool. The patient has to be willing to work with the band, and make permanent lifestyle changes. This is not about changing until you lose the weight you want to lose (dieting), it is about PERMANENTLY changing your relationship with food, and being willing to do that.

You'll learn a lot about yourself and your eating habits once the band is there making you eat less. Undoubtedly you will experience frustration and anger at least once when you are unable to eat either the quantity of type of food you want. But that is quickly replaced with gratitude when you realize that you can have almost anything in moderation. And the things that you are unable to tolerate usually are not missed THAT much once you are well into your journey and experiencing success.

Hi again

i didnt mean I wanted to "read horror stories" I just have only seen positive comments about the band otherwise would not be going foward with this myself as Im sure I will so sorry if I appeared to be negative Im hopeing that when im banded it will be all positive and wonderful but just want to learn as much as possible and be fully informed and as my friend seemed so against the band stating she choose the bypass as the best option and stated she had read so many horror stories on the net re the band - just thought Id ask, believe me the risks of the op really scare me.

I was reading the profile of someone yesterday who said the reason she decided to be banded was that her mother died in sleep at 52 due to high blood pressure, that me me think about the risk of not been banded I have really high blood pressure my mother although not overweight had diabetes(excuse spelling) and I have Protein urea, and Im 49 so health wise I know if I continue to gain weight as I am getting older the health risks to myself increase. I asked my husband yesterday if he thought I should have the operation as I'll admit it scares me and he said yes deal with it once and for all and loose it and never have this ongoing up and down weight problem, as I can loose it i lost 66 pounds 2 years ago on a diet but put it all back on again very quickly.

So im just looking and reading and waiting.

Cheers To All

Ruth

Ruthy

Congrats on your surgery date...You are going to love your band. You will be so happy you chose the band over the bypass.

The complications with the band are nearly none compared to the complications with the bypass.

This site is great. Lots of knowledgable people here who are very caring and sincere unlike other boards (wont mention any names)

Don't be shy. Come here often, post often and read often.

Hi Ruth -

I didn't think you were being negative!! :) The horror story comment was basically aimed towards your friend who said she'd heard horror stories about the band, and therefore decided on the bypass.

It is EXTREMELY important to know ALL the things that can possibly go wrong, the likelihood of those complications, and whether or not you can accept the risks and the financial implications that complications involve.

I think one of the reasons why I am not angry/bitter about my erosion is because I did my research, I knew it was a possibility, and I accepted the risk. Sure, I wish I hadn't fallen into the 1-3%, but to me it was a risk worth taking. I take full responsibility for my decision. So although I am disappointed, of course, those are the breaks. Sometimes your number comes up - for good and for bad. I have no right to complain. And as much as I needed and relied on the band, having it removed was not the end of my life - it is just another opportunity to use other tools I have acquired along the way.

I edited my post of list of complications to include "obstruction" - I forgot about that. You could get something stuck in the stoma, and have to have the offending piece removed by scope, or by having your band emptied of all fill. Again, that could quickly become an emergent situation if you were completely obstructed, but the solution is relatively easy, particularly if removal of fill rectifies the problem.

Best of luck with your banding - I think you will love the results. I know I did!

Ruth

I am so happy with my band, words trully can't express.

I did not have complications, blood presure, sleep apinia, etc the list is endless, due to Obesity. I thought I had a thyriod problem, They said I was pre diabetis

I like many others, choise the band, paid out of pockect, still paying for it and now happily 65 lbs down.

Today, I still can NOT eat like I use to.

Wishing you the best. Ruth's my middle name.:)

Congratulation Lisa Lee

Aug 2 will be here before you know it!

Welcome to this wild bunch of brains

Lisa Lee,

I think you will be very happy with the results once you are banded... I know I am so far! I chose the Lapband as I was just not able to imagine re-routing... stapling and forever changing the way my body absorbs nutrients as with the GBP. I don't think that I would opt for the GBP even if I were to have complications that would lead to the bands removal. This site has been a wonderful place for information and support and I hope it will be the same for you!

Darcy