Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lots of questions about possible revision

I've had 2 bands and a plication and I am scheduled for a lapband removal and sleeve all in one surgery in June. My current band has slipped also. Can't wait to be done with the band forever - I've been banded since Dec, 2001.

Good luck to you!

Jenn

If your insurance covers VSG, but your surgeon does not have admission rights at any network hospitals, you can ask your insurance for an exception. They may pay for you to get it done at that hospital. It's worth asking.

Be sure you choose your surgeon with care. Revisions are no joke, and you want a surgeon who's been vetted and is experienced with good outcomes. Obesityhelp.com is a good first resource for that IME.

A DS (duodenal switch) is not like an RNY, BTW. Your pyloric valve remains intact, and you don't have a pouch, you have a stomach. A DS involves the same stomach reduction as a VSG, but they do re-route your intestines. It's the heavy duty WLS. VSG is often stage 1 of 2 for DS patients.

Thanks Pinkpeony. The surgeon's office is working on my insurance right now, so I suspect they know about the exception.

I believe I have decided to get a second opinion before proceeding. I'll pick that surgeon with care too because I may decide to use the new one.

I'll check out the obesity website for surgeons again - that is where I researched initially. I see many members from Washington State. My current surgeon is at Overlake and my thought is to find one that practices at the Swedish Hospital. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

You're in WA too? Awesome! OK, seriously, you need to see Srikanth. He's the best we've got for revisions (and that's not a backhanded compliment, he really is great and the best!). Everyone on OH will tell you to see Srikanth anyway. lol

He's based in Federal Way, but also practices at Evergreen in Kirkland.

Thanks! I see that he also has an office in Federal Way which would be very convenient for me as far as appointments. I am out on the peninsula and it's a long drive to get to Seattle.

Darn it. Dr. Srikanth is not in my insurance network. Any other suggestions out there for the Seattle area?

My revision was done by Dr Landerholm in Edmonds. No complications and success beyond my wildest dreams!

Thanks Jane. I will see if he is in the TriCare network. Looks like you have had incredible success!

Darn it. Dr. Srikanth is not in my insurance network. Any other suggestions out there for the Seattle area?

Dr Srikanth did my last band removal and he was great, but Dr Kelly Clinch did my first emergency band removal and is a super dr too. Wonderful mannerism and great guy.