Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oh great, 2 weeks until my VSG surgery & NOW my band decides to start working?

I had my lap band surgery October 2009 and IMMEDIATELY knew it wasn't going to work. I mean, I still had my whole stomach and all of the issues that come with that. I wonder also why they decided to place the band so high up on the stomach - it really should be placed 1/3 of the way down.

Anyway, I lost about 30 lbs the first 3 months and then slowly gained it all back. My body has been stuck on 232 for 10 years, no matter how little or how much I eat. My Dr. said maybe that's just where my body is comfortable.

I will say the band did 2 positive things for me: (1) it eliminated my heartburn/reflux issues, and (2) it probably has kept me from gaining a lot more weight.

I have felt tightness and other unpleasant feelings from time to time, but in the last couple of weeks, I actually think it is doing what it should have been doing all along. I am feeling "full" and also I am STOPPING my eating (rarity for me, cuz I try to "beat" it if I really want something). Is this a cruel mind/body game??? I scheduled my VSG surgery for April 2 (self pay AGAIN). Maybe something else is happening that is making me full - but my upper GI looked fine. Haven't had a fill in 2 years and have no idea where we left off at the last one (maybe between 3-5 cc's??).

I have TONS of doubts about the VSG surgery. I am 45 and wonder the effects down the road, when I'm older. I wish I could commit to a healthier lifestyle and one that would lead me to a better place than having to go through another major surgery!! I would say that I'm at about a 60% comfort level on having this surgery. I've read the numerous posts here and obviously there are many happy, successful, skinnier people - I'm sooooo afraid of another failure.

the vsg is the BEST thing I have ever done for myself. I have maintained a 90 pound loss for more than a year now. I am 20 months out. I think you will be so happy. Most of us sleeved folk are! Ditch that band and join our club. :-)

I wonder if its just nerves or anxiety??

I've never had the band. But I know when I'm

Anxious about something coming up my sleeve gets "tighter" and eating is hard..

Just a thought.

I had a revision and I'm soooo happy with the sleeve. It's nothing

Iike the band and all it's maintenance .. Not to mention the horrid complications.

If you're having serious issues with your band that you feel are damaging you need to call your dr and ask to move your date up. At the very least get the band out.

The sleeve won't fail.....................you will fail the sleeve.

It is a big committment but also very rewarding, much more than the band for me ever was. I reached my goal weight in 6 months less a day.

If you are truly ready for it; jump in and don't look back because it will be the best decision you will ever make.