Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Fitness Pal Settings

I've been using MyFitnessPal for quite a while, and I was frustrated that the prediction of what I'd weigh in 5 weeks seemed to be way off.

Today, I was adjusting my settings again, and I noticed that MFP had set my calories burned from "normal daily activity" at over 2400. My actual BMR is about 1500. You see this number when you log into MFP, go to the home page and then click on "goals."

I can't manually adjust the number MFP gives me for my "daily calories burned," but I was able to get it down by choosing "sedentary" instead of "active." This still gives me a higher calories burned from "normal daily activity" at 1800, but it is closer to my actual BMR.

I noticed doing this also lowered my projected weekly weight loss, so I am hoping this will make my projections a bit more accurate.

Of course, I am assuming that "normal daily activity" per MFP means my BMR.

If I used something like Fitbit to log in with MFP, will it adjust these numbers more accurately? Or are some of them still MFP's default?

Linda

You can manually change your goals in MFP from the website, but I am not sure about the mobile app.

Home --> Goals --> Change Goals

You can change some of the goals, but you can't change all of them. Some are also related to each other, so to get my Protein where I want it to be, my carbs "goal" is actually higher than what it really is.

The only way I found to adjust my "daily calories burned" was to change my activity setting. it didn't let me change the actual number. This is why I was wondering if linking up MFP to something like Fitbit would be more accurate.

Uh ... I just changed mine. Are you doing it from the web page or mobile device?

As far as setting the Proteins, fat and the carbs, remember, those are the components of your total calorie intake, so ...

What are the settings you are looking to have and perhaps I can help you by setting mine up that way and then you can take a look at my profile there.

I am doing it from the web page.

I start by doing here: Home>Goals>Change Goals.

On the right side, it says "your diet profile."

Under that, it says, "calories burned" and then "from normal daily activity."

To change some of these numbers, I click the "change goals" button. Not all of them are changeable. I can't edit the "from normal daily activity" number, which I think is used by MFP to figure out what I will weigh in 5 weeks.

The only way that I found to change that "from normal daily activity" number is by doing the following:

I have to change my "activity level."

I change my activity level by going to "settings" (up by the log in).

I get a screen that says "Update your diet profile."

There, I can input my current weight, goal weight, height, gender and date of birth.

Under that, I can choose "describe your normal daily activities."

This selection seems to change the "from normal daily activity" that I mention above. I had to change mine to "sedentary" in order to get the "from normal daily activities" down to 1850. I can't get it any lower than that.

After you change goals, you should be asked if you want guided or custom. Are you selecting custom?

I choose custom. I can't edit anything under the header "your diet profile."

There are 3 headings. The one on the left is "daily nutritional goals," and they are all editable, although some are connected. On the top right are "fitness goals," and they are all editable.

Under "fitness goals" is where the "your diet profile" is located. I can't edit that section.

Thanks for trying to help.

Ah ... yes ... OK, the good news is you are right where you are supposed to be at. I'm guessing you are wanting to change that top value:

Calories Burned From Normal Daily Activity?

The really good news is you are not allowed to change that. It is based on your activity level. The bad news is if you have had a recent BMR test, which 99.9% of the folks haven't, you will not be able to enter that value in there. Just tweak the activity level to get it close.