Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

blue cross blue shield comorbidities

hi everyone, waiting on my approval or denial from my insurance company, wondering if you guys have experience with blue cross blue sheild comorbidities. i have osteoarthritis, kidney disorder, acid reflex, difficulty breathing, hs (skin condition). family history of diabetes and heart conditions and obesity. Also have proof of 5 yrs of being obese. i clocked in at a bmi of 37. gave all my paper work, nutrition classes, group meetings, medical necessity letter and phyc eval. what do you guys think? approved or denied????

It sounds like you have a good chance of initially being denied. Just appeal, and keep appealing until you get to the Peer to Peer review.

I have BCBS of Alabama and am just getting started. I have a BMI of 40.9, (surgeon's office), but haven't been this high for the past 3 years. The only co-morbidities I have are pre-diabetes, high cholesterol, and joint pain. I'm going for a sleep apnea test this week. My insurance seems to only require one, so I might have a chance. The surgeon's office said that BCBS of Alabama is very nitpicky though, so I'll probably get denied initially.

Let us know what happens.

I bet they approve you Rena.

I bet they approve you Rena.

I just looked back in my medical records and found that I was diagnosed with GERD in 2011. Still have it, lol. I think that was one of the co-morbidities listed on my insurance information sheet, so, keeping my fingers crossed and am going to go ahead with the 6 month weight loss management thingy.

Ms.Junebug have you heard anything yet??? I'm sooo keeping my fingers crossed for you!

I got denied :( I am waiting to hear back re: the appeal ... According to bcbs I haven't had a co-morbid condition for the past 5 yrs (which I have) lets see what happens

From what I understand, a first time denial is almost standard practice with BCBS. Keep on with the appeals and good luck!

I have BCBS FEP. BMI was 57, 3 month supervised diet with NUT and PCP, psych eval, sleep study = sleep apnea. Had 5 yr weight history. My approval came one day after submitting my paperwork. I was told by my surgeon that my approval came so quickly due to my PCP writing a 3 pg letter supporting my choice to have VSG. He says it played a huge role in the approval process :)

Hope this helps!

Well...I can add one more co-morbidity to my list. I have moderate to severe sleep apnea. I'm not sure if it will count though, since it hasn't been documented for the past 3 years. Anyway, I slept last night with a cpap machine for the first time ever, and I can't remember the last time i slept so deeply.

Maybe I'll eventually catch up on all my disturbed sleep and can actually have some energy during the day.

So.... 40.9 BMI, GERD, Sleep apnea, pre-diabetic, knee and hip problems. Maybe I've got a chance with the insurance peeps. Now I've got to get my PCP on board and knock out this 6 month diet.

I have bsbc Michigan. I was approved I had to see a nut, shrink, and a endoscopy everything was fine then they told me my insurance requires to take 5 weight management classes =\. Once I'm done with that they will send it to my insurance and we will set a date. I'm afraid it will be denied or something.

Well, if you are denied, just appeal, and keep appealing. Get your doc involved too, which seems to help in the appeal. I haven't submitted to my insurance yet, but I'm prepared to go through as many appeals as it takes if I'm denied.