Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dec. 2nd Support Group

We will meet on Sat. March 3 at noon, at the Starbucks across from Intel in Rio Rancho. It is on 528. Everyone is welcome. Hope everyone can make it. Please post a message if you can come. Thanks

Nanette

I'm pleased to see a NM thread. I'll be banded on 3-14-07 by Dr. Spivak in TX. I was looking at some other site and noticed a Lap-band support group at the Nativo Hotel in ABQ. If you want more information I'll try and find my notes. It's encouraging to see that there might be some fill options closer to home. I'll drop another note after my surgery.

Megan

Welcome! Where abouts in NM are you? I am in the Farmington area. So far with weather, and family issues, I have yet to make it to ABQ for one of the support groups. Hoping Spring and Summer will make it easier!

Glad to have another New Mexican on board!!!

Welcome to LBT!!

Kat

Thanks for the welcome...I'm from the Santa Fe area. But I look for excuses to go to ABQ because there is a lot more to do.

Take Care.

Megan

Hi Kat,

thank you very much for replying. I guess I feel this is going alot slower than I had hoped and it is alot harder too. I don't feel restricted enough meaning I can eat alot still (a whole plate of angel hair pasta), but restricted enough that alot of other foods I can't tolerate and I end up with a cup of slime which is so disgusting. I was banded on 10/3 and my 3rd fill Dec 20 ended up being too tight so they brought me back down to my 2nd level fill amt. I go back in Thurs to hopefully find a spot between where I am and where I was that will be the sweet spot because I just don't feel like this is helping me any. Like I said twice this week I ate a full plate of Pasta. I was done 22 pounds on Dec 20th which isn't that much for 3 months, but I think I have gained at least 3-4 pounds in the last 2 weeks since the unfill. Most everyone on here seems to be doing awesome!

Frustrated....

Stacy

Stacy, sorry for not responding while you were here--I was off celebrating! The missing snowmobilers here in NM were long time friends of mine---and they are SAFE!!

Well, sometimes it does take some tweaking with your fill to get to a point that restriction is steady. Are you sure you are chewing small bites well enough on the things that still cause you to slime? If it is hard Protein type of things, it might take much much less to make you be too full, which would bring on the slime.

With the Pasta, it is much like a mushie, it goes in, and goes through which is what allows you to eat more of it. Pasta is difficult for me, for whatever reason, it seems to grow---maybe I drink too soon, or too much, I don't know, but----all of us react differently.

My SIL and I went together to get banded, and she was like you for the first several months, it was slow losing, and her restriction was all over the place. I on the other hand, was losing pretty steady, and hit restriction early on, and have continued like the tortoise, slow and steady. She was overfilled, then had some removed, and then BAM one day she began dropping it fast and furious! She actually was too tight, but liked it she said, she was losing like crazy!!! She is now at goal, has been for 3 months or longer, and I am slowly creeping along, and we had similar amounts to lose! Where I lost a bit each week, she went slow, then raced!!! She is now a size 8 from a 24! She is back to medium restriction---but the huge losses for her did not come until she was probably close to a year out from surgery! It is so hard to predict how someone will react. We had surgery the same day, same Dr, use the same fill Dr.---and have had totally different experiences!!

My best suggestion at this point, while you work on getting your fill level adjusted, is to try to avoid the pasta and the high GI foods, they just make you crave more of them. Try to eat lots of lean meats, and whole grains, and veggies, to get the full feelings that last. It causes your body to react differently than the high starch foods do when they break down. Your full feeling lasts many times longer---just take a few small bites chewed really well, and stop after a few, and wait awhile---so you can avoid the sliming.

Hope you get past this soon!

Where abouts in NM are you? Getting lots of snow today? It is coming down hard in Aztec!!!!!

Kat

Hi kat,

thanks for the reply. I feel much better. You are right I need to take smaller bites (that is my problem that I am fighting). Even when I do I try to regulate how much I swallow at a time, but some larger bites make it past and I need to be more careful. Eating out is a huge problem now because I have no idea what to order. One day I can eat chicken salad and the next day same chicken salad gives me problems. I just haven't figured how to eat. Looks like tuna is the only thing that never gives me problems. URG! I will keep on keeping on as usual and would be more tolerable if I saw it melting away.

boy how nice it would be to be at my goal already. Your SIL must be so excited! I think mentally I am having a problem too because my head wants to eat still and I think it is talking my stomach into it too! One of the reasons I was looking for a support group to attend. I still haven't found one close that meets. I think I will ask my doctor when I go see him next.

I actually live in Texas. I am not sure how I ended up on your thread, but glad I did ;-)

I am happy to hear your friends are ok. I couldn't imagine living where it snowed like that. We get ice maybe once a year for a few days and that is how I like it ;-)

Take care!

LOL--I just knew there is seldom anyone on the NM thread! But I totally understand, I have been in a group on the New Jersey thread---for almost 2 years, and I have never even stepped foot in Jersey!!!

I am in a rural area here, and there are no support groups, and my fill Dr. is 6 hours away. So I hear ya on that.

We have a place in Texas as well, central part, between Abilene and Austin. We go down 2-3 times a year. Without fail in the Spring and early winter--to sell cows, and harvest pecans.

Hang in there, try the small bites, and adjusting the diet, which I know sucks, we did this to avoid dieting, but sometimes it takes awhile for the body to adjust, and restriction to level out. Good Luck!!

Kat