Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone

Guest brando5111

Guest brando5111

Hi from Sunny Valencia California!

I'm a 41 yr old female - 5'7, 280lbs. and ready to take control of this issue once and for all. Have read up on the different WLSurgeries out there, and feel Lap-Band makes the most sense for my situation.

Looking forward to finding out as much info as I possibly can, and hopefully a successful surgery in the near future.

B:)

Welcome, B...

There are lots of So. Cal. folks on the board. And all levels of experience from pre-banded to the formerly banded (she's a wild one). Look around and enjoy.

Sue

Hi B

Welcome! This is a great board and I'm sure you will benefit by joining us.

If your looking for surgeons, Obesityhelp.com has a great reference section. There are alot of SoCA's here that can advice on that, too!

Best of luck!

Hey B and welcome aboard:

I suggest you get Jessie Ahroni's book "Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding" It is awesome. Amazon.com has it.

Here is a link to order it.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0595311148/102-8263312-9040100?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance]Amazon.com: Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding: Achieving Permanent Weight Loss with Minimally Invasive Surgery: Jessie H. Ahroni Ph.D. A. R. N. P.: Books[/ame]

I just got mine in the mail and I already love it. I was banded on April 6, 2004 and have lost 42 lbs.

I live in Van Nuys, CA.

If you are looking for a good doctor then I can suggest Dr. Helmuth Billy in Ventura, CA. He is awesome. That is my follow up doc. If you want his info I will give it to you.

Keep us posted on your developments.

Guest brando5111

Thanks all for the great welcome!

I've begun research on my insurance coverage, etc. and have been told they will only cover the Gastric Bypass or Vertical Banded Gast... So I have a feeling I will end up being a self-pay - because I really feel like the band is the safest and least invasive procedure.

Please if anyone can offer their suggestions on the best Doctor to see for this procedure in Mexico I would greatly appreciate your guidance. I thank Penni60 for the information on Dr. Billy, as he is perfectly located as my follow-up Dr. I wonder, how much do his visits cost?

Hi B

And welcome

I also live in Southern California (orange county area)

I was a self pay and went to Mexico. I have no regrets what so ever. I would do it again in a heartbeat it is worth every penny I spent. I'm 3 months out and have lost 36 pounds as of this morning.

Tiajuana has several very experience band surgeons...Dr Kuri..Dr. Ortiz just to name a couple of them. Many of us here on this board went to Tj to have our surgeries preformed. I'm in the same boat as you, my insurance would not cover the band and I wasn't going to waste time fighting them on it so I opted to self pay and so happy I did. Otherwise I'd still be haggling about it with my insurance company and now I'm 36 pounds lighter and no hassle from the insurance comapny. You will love this support group here. Everyone here is so friendly, knowledgable , supportive and helpful. I'm a memeber of several other boards but I find this site to be the best so I am here alot more then the others.

I second Pennis advice on getting Jessi's book it is very informative for people thinking of getting the band and for us Newbies...Good Luck with your decision on whoever you choose. You will be so happy you did it... I love my band!

Guest tcocobr

Welcome to the group B. This surgery was the best thing I've ever done for myself. I don't have health insurance so I had to pay for my surgery. I weighed 427 lbs at my highest weight, I now weigh 355 lbs, I know I have a long way to go but for the first time in my life I know I'll make it.

Tasha Coco

Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey Mexico

427/355/180

Welcome B!

You've come to the right place! I can't imagine that there is a question you would have, that wouldn't find a response here at LBT. Wishing you the best of luck and I can tell you that I LOVE my band!

Darcy

Welcome B,

I am a school teacher and I go by Mrs. B LOL so we something in common. I too decided to self pay. My insurance would only cover the gastric bypass and wanted me to jump through 1,000,000 hoops so I went to Dr. Rodriguez in Monterrey Mx. While I love him and he is wonderful....even the scars look great. I wish I had gone closer to home because now I am thinking of changing Dr. for my after care. I don't want to fly every time I get a fill. Which I should soon I think been stuck at -20 for about 2 weeks now. Well good luck and God Bless!

Rica

Welcome to the forum! I hope you get as much out of this site at I do.

The folks here are WONDERFUL!!!!