Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hot Yoga kicked my butt!

Sounds like you didn't have too much trouble with hydration which is great! You waited 3 months after your surgery to start? How soon after surgery do you think I can start? I was assuming when the doctor says I can start lifting weights but I don't know with hot yoga there's also the whole hydration thing......Have you stuck with it these past two weeks? I'm having surgery in two weeks and am going to bikram right now. I feel like I need it to mentally prepare for surgery.

I actually have no problem with hydration. Ill be 4 months in a few days and I drink just like I did pre-surgery. I was very worried that I wouldnt be able to workout hard and replenish my fluids but its not an issue. The day that I know Im going to do hot yoga I make sure to EXTRA hydrate that day so I dont become dehydrated with all of the sweating.

I called my surgeon and asked if I could be cleared for hot yoga and I was told after 7 weeks that I was good but other surgeons may have different rules so just ask to be safe. I was more worried about the moves than the hydration, I didnt want to rip anything ya know.

I have stuck with it. I go a couple of times a week and Im so in love with it. I find that Ill lose an extra pound or two that week. Im a slow loser so just one pound is a big deal for me :)

I find that sometimes I dread going but once Im there I just take it one pose at a time and before I know it, Im done and very proud of myself. Plus I sleep like a ROCK that night lol.

Let me know if you find a hot class and tell me how you liked it when you go :)

I actually have no problem with hydration. Ill be 4 months in a few days and I drink just like I did pre-surgery. I was very worried that I wouldnt be able to workout hard and replenish my fluids but its not an issue. The day that I know Im going to do hot yoga I make sure to EXTRA hydrate that day so I dont become dehydrated with all of the sweating.

I called my surgeon and asked if I could be cleared for hot yoga and I was told after 7 weeks that I was good but other surgeons may have different rules so just ask to be safe. I was more worried about the moves than the hydration, I didnt want to rip anything ya know.

I have stuck with it. I go a couple of times a week and Im so in love with it. I find that Ill lose an extra pound or two that week. Im a slow loser so just one pound is a big deal for me :)

I find that sometimes I dread going but once Im there I just take it one pose at a time and before I know it, Im done and very proud of myself. Plus I sleep like a ROCK that night lol.

Let me know if you find a hot class and tell me how you liked it when you go :)

I went to Bikram today for the first time in a year and three days into the preop diet. The plan was to just stay in the room. I managed to get through the whole class and enjoy it for the most part. There are a few poses I can't do just because of the bulk of my body (thighs and boobs mostly) or limited flexibility but I tried the best I could and felt like I got a good workout. It is really hard but when I left I felt mentally strong and very relaxed. I'm going to try to go every day until I start Clear liquids 2 or 3 days before my surgery on April 15th. I wish I had started sooner....I guess I just felt too insecure about my size to go. How silly!!! I'm going to ask my surgeon about when I can start doing it post op I'm guessing he'll say something around 7 weeks as well.

The class really can be done at any size for weight loss. I'm a size 22 I was the largest person in this class by far but when I was practicing in the USA there was a very large man in my class maybe around 450 he used bands some but he does ok. Anyway I left feeling like wow if my body can do THAT now (as in survive the class strong and only sitting out a few poses) what will it be able to do in 6 months from now....

What a journey this whole sleeve thing is! Happy hot yoga-ing!!!

Congrats on your weight loss!! One to two pounds IS something to Celebrate. You're 40 pounds from goal it will easily come off with Bikram and healthy food choices....and bikram will probably really sculpt you!! Hopefully it will also help with the loose skin thing....

Yay! Congrats on making to class. There are a few poses I cant do yet either. Before surgery it was because of the belly and the boobs but now its mostly because I just dont have the upper body strength yet but its getting better. I was also really insecure to go. Im still the girl in the back corner trying to be invisible. But luckily my studio has wonderful instructors that come over to assist me if they see me struggling. The room is heavily dim so much that I can barely make out facial features so its a lot better with people with insecurities.

The sense of accomplishment afterwards almost brings me to tears. I feel so proud of myself afterwards which is not a feeling Im used to at all.

You are right, this sleeve thing is such a journey. Its wayyy more than just a procedure, its a whole new life.

Keep up the yoga and keep in touch okay?

This is a really great thread to read. Thanks for all the information!

Went to my 6th hot yoga last night and I tell you, I can already feel myself getting stronger. What a great accomplishment. I am no where what I would call 'good' but I sat out less and was able to hold moves I couldnt hold before. Even better, I lost another pound and am now at an even 60 pounds lost!!

I love hot yoga and because its not warm enough for outdoor activities yet, its my main source of excersize but once it gets warm, my husband and I are avid bike riders and I will use hot yoga for my supplement excersize. In any case, I love it and will always make time it in my life.

Went to my 6th hot yoga last night and I tell you' date=' I can already feel myself getting stronger. What a great accomplishment. I am no where what I would call 'good' but I sat out less and was able to hold moves I couldnt hold before. Even better, I lost another pound and am now at an even 60 pounds lost!!

I love hot yoga and because its not warm enough for outdoor activities yet, its my main source of excersize but once it gets warm, my husband and I are avid bike riders and I will use hot yoga for my supplement excersize. In any case, I love it and will always make time it in my life.[/quote']

I wish I had someone to go with and feel so self aware sitting in the big lighted studio trying to figure out the moves. You should see me: looking all around, left right, trying to get a good idea of poses. Lol. Compound that with the fact I am not very mobile and flexible yet. Working on that because I need it to become a better runner and cross fitter. Plus I enjoy the benefits that Yoga provides all by itself. Despite being a total beginner, I am dedicated though and want to get good at it.

I keep also thinking about how mobile and flexible Jackie Chan and Jet Li are. It would be cool to be able to have the state of mind and physique to do what they can do (in real life, not the movies!).

OK yoga gurus. Question for you.

I went to my power yoga ( "hot yoga") yesterday and starting last night my back is so sore, mostly in the midrange. Is this from lack of correct posture or perhaps lack of strength? I know my posture is far from perfect, but it is improving the more I do this.

I am on my rest day today and am going to go heat it in the sauna for a while. Any other suggestions? It was a really hard yoga class, but I made it some how to the end. Without dying. Lol. I found out afterwards that the instructor for that class is known to be hard core in terms of physical activity during the session. What am I getting myself into? Lol.

Next power yoga session will be easier I hope. I am so envious of all the other yoga students that are hardly sweating (not all, but most) and can do all these weird contortions of their bodies while resting on their hands alone. I am still learning all the basic moves. Maybe some day I will be able to do the hand stands.

Such power they have!! I was surprised that many of them were making a lot of effort grunts and moans near the end, especially during the final 200 bike exercises (elbow to knee fast with abs burning on fire!!) Going to get in some more Yin and Hatha before next power yoga torture session. Lol.

For me, power yoga is harder then running a fast 10 k and dare I say cross fit (close tie)! But the after effects are so worth it!

The only type of hot yoga I've done is Bikram but I am also finding that my back is sore after yesterdays class. It was my 5th class in a row. I think it's do to a combination of limited flexibility and pushing to hard to increase the flexibility in class and then maybe to a lesser extent lacking core strength. I usually don't get a sore back however the past few days my back flexibility has really improved so I've pushed it even harder on backward bends and am noticing the soreness. I could be that i'm pushing past my current flexibility or/and when I do that I compromise correct posture.

I also have noticed that at first my major muscle groups would be quite sore and now it's minor muscle groups that are sore that don't normally get sore because I've gotten stronger overall and as I've increased my flexibility I've been able to start to engage muscles that I may not work out normally.

If I was in your position I'd probably make an effort to try to only push to my maximum comfortable flexibly and no more in backward or forward bending postures for a few classes then when the soreness stopped start pushing harder again to improve flexibility. I'd also try to focus on making sure I'm doing the posture correctly instead of pushing past my physically limitations to improve quickly. I think it's daily practice with slow and stead improvements that leads to being a contortionist not practicing once or twice a week and pushing past your max like you can on cardio equipment doing HIT. I'm probably going to tell my instructor today my back is hurting (at my bra line) can you come and checkout/correct my postures today during class.

The only type of hot yoga I've done is Bikram but I am also finding that my back is sore after yesterdays class. It was my 5th class in a row. I think it's do to a combination of limited flexibility and pushing to hard to increase the flexibility in class and then maybe to a lesser extent lacking core strength. I usually don't get a sore back however the past few days my back flexibility has really improved so I've pushed it even harder on backward bends and am noticing the soreness. I could be that i'm pushing past my current flexibility or/and when I do that I compromise correct posture.

I also have noticed that at first my major muscle groups would be quite sore and now it's minor muscle groups that are sore that don't normally get sore because I've gotten stronger overall and as I've increased my flexibility I've been able to start to engage muscles that I may not work out normally.

If I was in your position I'd probably make an effort to try to only push to my maximum comfortable flexibly and no more in backward or forward bending postures for a few classes then when the soreness stopped start pushing harder again to improve flexibility. I'd also try to focus on making sure I'm doing the posture correctly instead of pushing past my physically limitations to improve quickly. I think it's daily practice with slow and stead improvements that leads to being a contortionist not practicing once or twice a week and pushing past your max like you can on cardio equipment doing HIT. I'm probably going to tell my instructor today my back is hurting (at my bra line) can you come and checkout/correct my postures today during class.

Thanks, you have touched on it exactly. Sigh. So much to learn and get better at.

OK yoga gurus. Question for you.

I went to my power yoga ( "hot yoga") yesterday and starting last night my back is so sore, mostly in the midrange. Is this from lack of correct posture or perhaps lack of strength? I know my posture is far from perfect, but it is improving the more I do this.

I am on my rest day today and am going to go heat it in the sauna for a while. Any other suggestions? It was a really hard yoga class, but I made it some how to the end. Without dying. Lol. I found out afterwards that the instructor for that class is known to be hard core in terms of physical activity during the session. What am I getting myself into? Lol.

Next power yoga session will be easier I hope. I am so envious of all the other yoga students that are hardly sweating (not all, but most) and can do all these weird contortions of their bodies while resting on their hands alone. I am still learning all the basic moves. Maybe some day I will be able to do the hand stands.

Such power they have!! I was surprised that many of them were making a lot of effort grunts and moans near the end, especially during the final 200 bike exercises (elbow to knee fast with abs burning on fire!!) Going to get in some more Yin and Hatha before next power yoga torture session. Lol.

For me, power yoga is harder then running a fast 10 k and dare I say cross fit (close tie)! But the after effects are so worth it!

Hi Fiddleman, I still get sore in my back but not nearly as much as when I was first going. Like any other muscle, the back muscles are going to get sore especially because it does SO MUCH. I dont do the extreme back bends like wild thing or camel or anything like that. Im sure one day Ill be able to but with getting more aware of your body and its limits, you will know when its time to push it. Just take it easy and safe for now and make sure you are doing the moves correctly. When its a move that I know I cant and shouldnt attempt, I will sometimes just go into downward dog or childs pose because then Im still stretching out my back but not torturing myself.

Im so happy that you are going. I went Thursday and was pretty sore but I used to be sore for 3 days and now Im sore for one and on the second day I can go again. I went Saturday morning and wasnt as sore as usual. Of course there are over achievers in every class. I suppose Id show off too if I could balance on my two hands and kick my feet to the side. It defies gravity damnit!! LOL.

Hi Fiddleman' date=' I still get sore in my back but not nearly as much as when I was first going. Like any other muscle, the back muscles are going to get sore especially because it does SO MUCH. I dont do the extreme back bends like wild thing or camel or anything like that. Im sure one day Ill be able to but with getting more aware of your body and its limits, you will know when its time to push it. Just take it easy and safe for now and make sure you are doing the moves correctly. When its a move that I know I cant and shouldnt attempt, I will sometimes just go into downward dog or childs pose because then Im still stretching out my back but not torturing myself.

Im so happy that you are going. I went Thursday and was pretty sore but I used to be sore for 3 days and now Im sore for one and on the second day I can go again. I went Saturday morning and wasnt as sore as usual. Of course there are over achievers in every class. I suppose Id show off too if I could balance on my two hands and kick my feet to the side. It defies gravity damnit!! LOL.[/quote']

Thanks, so helpful to hear this. You and above posters are now my goto yoga gurus! I feel comforted to know that others are suffering through this with me . No pain no gain right? I have been wearing a thermaheat strap around my mid back / shoulder blade since yesterday. It really helps with the aching. It is supposed to go around waist, but I took a large and it fits fine around my chest. It is pretty inconspicuous under my shirt so no man bra here! Lol.

BTW-I asked my instructor about back pain today she said it's probably due to not contracting the stomach and thighs and not pushing the hips forward while back bending. I tried it and no pain issues this class. How did I not notice I wasn't contracting my stomach muscles this whole time!!!

We had a silent class today=amazing!! The lights are dim and the instructor also did the positions with us and barely spoke except to occasionally say change when we were in positions not facing the mirror. I feel so relaxed and zen and I don't have the most relaxed of personalities! This hot yoga is soo addicting...

BTW-I asked my instructor about back pain today she said it's probably due to not contracting the stomach and thighs and not pushing the hips forward while back bending. I tried it and no pain issues this class. How did I not notice I wasn't contracting my stomach muscles this whole time!!!

We had a silent class today=amazing!! The lights are dim and the instructor also did the positions with us and barely spoke except to occasionally say change when we were in positions not facing the mirror. I feel so relaxed and zen and I don't have the most relaxed of personalities! This hot yoga is soo addicting...

Interesting, interesting. You are right, I do not contract the stomach out of design when doing the flow of poses. I am just trying to keep up with the class. My resolve is only 1 hot yoga a week until I get better at it. Will do the less intense classes 3 times a week. For example Yin or Vinyasa flow or Hatha. Still learning technique as just started. Maybe someday I will build a little Yoga refuge in my background once I am good at it and not needing an instructor.

Anyone who lives in the Woodinville, WA area want to join me as a yoga buddy at Balance Yoga? Be nice to know someone in the class. I usually go on M, W, F in the after around 4:30 pm and Sat in the morning at 9:30 am. During the week, Yoga is opposite in the day from running in the morning. On sat, I am training for 1/2 by running longer and longer distances in afternoon. I found doing Yoga after Cross Fit is too tiring so avoid practicing Yoga on T and Th.

Im so proud of us' date=' just sayin'. Namaste friends.[/quote']

Question, is it possible to fracture your kneecap when performing yoga? At the end of my sat yoga, there was a loud crunch on my right knee, on the surface. This happened after some knee balancing exercises.

I spent a while yesterday trying to feel the differences between right and left knees and did not feel any differences. However, it has an acute pain from time to time. Just like a pin point small pain; certainly manageable. No Fluid building up nor any bruising. I can still kneel on it without any issue. It does not seem to affect running.

Just wondering.