Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When it goes right

I was banded 19 days ago and have lost 17.6 lbs so far!!!! I think my post-op healing stage has been fairly trouble free and I feel better and better everyday! Although I have less restriction now, I still don't feel that constant hunger sensation that I had prior to surgery. If I keep busy, I literally forget to eat. My sister had an open GBP RNY and she was still so very sick at 19 days post-op... she really didn't feel as good as I am feeling until she was at least a month and a half out from her surgery. It is amazing to me that I was able to spend the weekend painting our cabin a little over 2 wks post-op!

Already... my joints hurt less... my clothes are starting to get baggy... my face is re-emerging... (sorry ahead of time for this one) ... I can wipe more effectively... my energy level has doubled... I sleep better... I feel better and in control... and I feel so happy about my choice for WLS!!!!!

Thanks again Alex for starting this post!

Darcy

Originally posted by nightingale2u

It is amazing to me that I was able to spend the weekend painting our cabin a little over 2 wks post-op!

Already... my joints hurt less... my clothes are starting to get baggy... my face is re-emerging... (sorry ahead of time for this one) ... I can wipe more effectively... my energy level has doubled... I sleep better... I feel better and in control... and I feel so happy about my choice for WLS!!!!!

Thanks again Alex for starting this post!

Darcy

That's really great Darcy!! It is amazing how quickly you start feeling better and I think most of us understand about those personal hygiene things. That was one of my clues it was time to do something.

When one can't safely get in and out of a bathtub or wash all their parts when they get there, this is a problem. Wiping is another. Our arms are JUST so long... :)

Those were some of my very first NSV's. Noticing my hips didn't touch both sides of the bathtub, cinching my seatbelt on the airplane, crossing my legs. I'm still working on being able to climb stairs with less apprehension. It takes awhile to find your center of gravity when you are losing weight.

It's those little things that you notice that make you proud that you have taken the step to regain your life back!!

My coolest NSV so far was when I was doing my first monthly weigh in/measurements at Curves. I reached up and put the weight thing on 200 before I got on the scale and the woman said, 'There is no way you weigh 200 lbs!!" :D

I'm so proud for you!! Keep on keeping on!!

Leatha

Thanks, Alex, for a necessary post. Sometimes this board is like my diary: If you read it, you will think that my life has been one problem after another because I only write when I have a problem.

My two cents:

I have been banded for almost 11 months. I lost 50 pounds (almost 1/2 my excess weight) in the first 6 months. Unfortunately, since then, I've really had trouble with "eating around the band" - eating all the wrong things, in other words. I had an episode of what my doctor thought might be a stretched pouch about 6 weeks ago. I had to have a total unfill and since then have had a partial re-fill (they didn't want to do it all at once). Tests show my band is in perfect position, no problems. Once I get my restriction back, I am hoping that I will be able to get back on track. I am in therapy to work on my "head hunger" issues.

Despite having had to struggle a lot with my old bad habits, I am thrilled with the band. I look SO much better, all my health problems have resolved, and I feel so much happier and more confident. Best of all, despite my bad behavior, I have not re-gained one ounce of lost weight. I think that is because you can eat around the band, but only to a certain point. I can't binge like I used to.

Nancy

Correction: I think they said I had a slipped band rather than a stretched pouch. But honestly, I can't remember. Sorry for the confusion.

Nancy

I just want to say that I was considering the band for a couple of years before I got it. I was really scared that I would never be able to eat socially (and look "normal") or that I would not be able to enjoy eating if I got banded.

Just yesterday I was telling my husband how wonderful the band was because I eat so much less, yet I never feel deprived like I did when I was "dieting". And I do enjoy my food, if I want something special, like key lime pie (yum!), I have a piece, instead of several! A few bites of food will bring satisfaction now.

I am so happy with my band, I just love it. I used to feel so badly about myself after I would binge (all the time). Now that is one negative emotion that I don't miss!

Great post Alex, I was almost feeling guilty that I have felt so good and better every day. I must say it has been a little scary here lately. But there is good and bad in everything.

I have been so busy that I hardly find time to post. But that doesn't mean I don't care what is going on with everyone. When I do find time this is where I come. I want to hear it all, the good the bad and the ugly.

We do tend to focus on the bad to often, and we forget all the good that the band has done for many of us. It is such a inspiration to hear all the ways that the band has helped so many.

My health is improving everyday, I can fit comfortable in a plane seat, my clothes are baggy, I can see my facial features again, I have way more energy, I actually ran through the woods with my grandson playing good guys and bad guys, and list goes on and on, I am so glad that I came here and learned about this great tool (the Band) from all of you.

Thanks again,

Kathy

Along with Alex I too have been banded 11 months, and I am down 65 lbs. No problems except for forgetting I must eat slow. My last fill was in february and am no way in the market for another. I am very restricted. I sometimes think I should have lost more by now. Going in I had the 100lb in a yr in my head.

I do put it into prospective that I have come along way and 65 lbs is alot of weight. Well that's my story.

Laura

Originally posted by ldauph

I sometimes think I should have lost more by now. Going in I had the 100lb in a yr in my head.

I do put it into prospective that I have come along way and 65 lbs is alot of weight. Well that's my story.

Laura

You've done marvelous, Laura. I too, have only lost 60lbs in the past year. That's 60lbs more than I was gonna lose without the band!!

Congratulations on choosing to take back your life!

Leatha

I feel this post is really needed. I was banded on 12/29/03 and to date have lost 92 pounds :) . Do I love my band? YES!! Have I had problems with it, Yes. I know what it is like to have an overfill and then have some removed. But the good news is, it works for me. I know when I've eaten too much. Luckily, I've only PB'd 3 or 4 times so I've learned and listen to my signals. I have a great surgeon that sees me often and wants to see me even if I don't have fills done (on an average I see him every 6 weeks). He wants to know what is going on. I have no problem talking to his patients that are not sure the band is for them. I expected some trials from the band, have had a few, but I expected them.

I also like to read about problems people are having so I can be aware and hopefully avoid most of them. Few like Donali's were obviously unavoidable but it also makes me realize I can't take the band for granted. Everyone here is so awesome and even the few with problems have such a great outlook with few regrets. We can all learn from this board.

Carol

Banded 12/29/03 Dr. McKeen

269/177/145