Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When it goes right

We all know the support-group dynamic that those with problems are the ones who are most vocal. That's as it should be, and it's very important that it be so for everyone's benefit. We've been hearing a lot lately about erosions, slippages, leaks, infections, reflux, and I'm really glad people are sharing their stories. I love you all and hope very much that this post doesn't offend any of you. :)

Sometimes it can seem like all bandsters have such problems. Certainly, everyone CAN have such problems and not having had them at any given point is no guarantee that they won't occur in the future. But people considering banding can also benefit from hearing that it is possible to have surgery without the body rebelling, and to live a banded life without constantly dodging health issues.

So here's my story: I've been banded for almost 11 months now, and healed right up after surgery with no problems. Learning to eat like a bandster has involved plenty of unpleasant moments, but for the most part I've got it down now. I've had three fills and the worst experience there was a little bruising. At this point I have good restriction, I can eat comfortably but not quickly, and I've lost almost 60 lbs which was my private, secret, impossible hope for one year.

That 60 lb "goal" was held close to my vest because I don't like to get my own hopes up. I've been morbidly obese for more than 20 years, so the very idea that so much weight could come off in a way that might be permanent was hard to accept. But here it is, and it's been a miracle right along.

The risk of surgery and banding was and is acceptable to me, because even in the very worst case scenarios we end up pretty much as we were before, only thinner.

Alex

Thanks for such a awesome post. Your post did not offend me at all if anything it inspires me . I only hope at 11 months I havent had any problems. So far I'm 3 months out and going good.

Congratulations on your 60 lbs . You must be so proud of yourself and feel so good about your self.

I'm proud of you :)

Me neither Alex,

I healed up pretty easily too and haven't seemed to have any further problems. Hopefully Lisa and Penni's aren't going to be very serious either. Learning how to eat with the band has been my greatest challenge and MOST times eating isn't a problem at all. Alex you have done a good job and are an excellent representative of how banding SHOULD go. Best wishes, Teresa

Dr. Lopez

5/8/04

362/319.5/???

Down 43 lbs, no fills yet.

Thanks, Alex!

My surgery is this Monday ...2 more days! I have been thinking along the lines of your post; ie, "gee, there sure are a lot of things that can go wrong with this thing"! But I've also been reminding myself that there are a lot of bandsters we haven't heard from in a while. Most likely it is because they have gotten on with their lives, are no longer fearing the unknown, and they are having no problems.

When I came back from vacation, I was concerned 'cos my buddy BaileyM hadn't posted and she is newly banded. Turns out ... she's doin' great, following doc's directions and feeling good. I try to just keep this is mind! Maybe we should start a monthly "check-in" thread, just to give people who have "nothing to say" a place to say it!

Thanks again!

OK! I'm checking in...

My surgery went well and I am adjusting fairly well. My setbacks have been small and not really related to banding. I just happened to wreck my motorcycle at 5 weeks out and have had trouble moving to solids because of whiplash and swelling...again, not band related. :)

I have good days and not so good. Some of this is because I am wimpy. I am not used to pain and really don't like it one little bit! :) Also, I take some time to adjust to changes.

My band is doing great! I am losing steadily and making a pile of "too big" clothes. Yeah!

So...I am very pleased with my band and one of the very fortunate ones who had insurance to pay part of the cost. I am also one of the extremely fortunate ones who has not had to deal with much hunger.

Alex: You did not offend me at all. It takes more than that to offend this ole southern lady. LOL!!!!

I was typing in my latest surgery post the other night and I thought you know for newbies reading this it might seem scary and somewhat off putting to them to continue to visit this website. It seems we do only report the problems, complications, concerns, etc.

There are so many successes out there as well. Sometimes it is easier to talk about the bad things. I agree with someone who said let's have a monthly check in thread to see how everyone is doing.

Other than my current dilemma I am actually doing GREAT with this new lease on life. I LOVE MY BAND (Betsy, I call her). She is helping me to not only eat less but to make healthier food choices. I am much more conscious of what I take into my body and I am focusing on food as nutrition and not comfort food. That was a huge leap for me. Food was sometimes a crutch to fall back on when I was lonely or bored or fill in the blank. I have almost conquered that crutch. It still creeps in every now and then but I am kicking them away little by little.

IT is a never ending struggle to eat right and exercise enough. But you know you gotta want it for it to work.

So Thanks Alex for a friendly wake up call regarding all the negative things that can happen while being banded and to remember there are GREAT things that can happen too.

LIKE NEW CLOTHES IN A SMALLER SIZE. WHOO HOO!!

A comment about you losing weight from a stranger you see almost every day. (I had a restaurant worker ask me if I was losing weight cause she said I was looking good. That made me feel AWESOME).

Your shoes are looser!!!!!

You can wear your rings again..

You need new undies cause the old ones are falling off you.

Your face looks different but you can't quite figure out why.

You weigh yourself and realize you haven't weighed that in about 10 years.

You can walk across the park and not get out of breath.

Your knees don't hurt anymore

I could go on and on.

Thanks Alex -- you are awesome.

Hi Alex,

I completely agree and also know that I am guilty of only showing up when something is wrong. But that is about to change... you all might get sick of me :)

Thank you for sharing your journey. I appreciate hearing about Lap-Band successes as well as those of you who are just chugging along with no problems. Going at your own speed and working with the band in a way that makes it the most natural of daily living. This is how I strive to live my life with my band.

Today is a new day and I have a new attitude thanks to all the great friends on this site.

Thank you for the continued inspiration.

I'm a new bandster. So far, it's been great! My husband commented the other night about how much more physically active I am -- compared to this time last year. I hope to keep my band forever. But, I have already learned so many new and healthier habits. We're among the lucky ones that have been able to do something positive about our weight and our health.

Whew, I'm glad I didn't tick anyone off!! The last thing I wanted was to sound like I was making light of anyone's troubles, or worse, to be gloating that I haven't had any. Complications can happen to anyone, anytime, and blessedly with the band they'll mostly be minor.

Before I was banded I read the boards religiously for a year or so, and the question that kept coming up for me was: Is it possible to live your life WITHOUT thinking about the band all the time??? Of course, reading hundreds of messages on just this subject would tend to convince us otherwise, but the fact is it's more than possible. Until and unless complications arise, being banded means a daily life where food occupies a much, much smaller place than it used to. That's the answer I was looking for.

I think this is a great thread Alex. In truth, the lapband is still new and we are really pioneers. Some of us will go through some trials and tribulations and we'll have to rely on our banded friends and our doctors to guide us through them. Hopefully, whatever it is that we face, may make it safer and easier for those who come after us.

I've lost 60lbs this past year with not one minute's problem. So, I hit a stumbling block. Do I still think it was worth being re-banded to lose the remaining 40-50? Yes! I love my band! Without it, I was headed up instead of down, with no hope of ever having the discipline to lose the weight myself.

Right now, I'm sore and battered and bruised, but by the end of this week. I'll be feeling much better and back on the road to losing the rest of my weight. I could have never said that without this band. So I am grateful and hopefully, my little bump in the road will make the road smoother for those coming behind me.

Leatha

That waas really a great post. You have also done amazing. I can't wait until we all reach our goal and help others with thier new bands...

I hope more people will chime in with their stories of smooth living! There's so much more to this journey than just numbers on a scale, and we should recognize and applaud whatever personal goals people are reaching. Let's hear about them! :)

Yes,

I have been doing really well. Thank you so much for your thoughts....I am 1 month post op and have had not a one "knocking on wood" problem.

I do find myself hungry, during my mushy phase. I am getting my 1st fill in about 2 1/2 weeks and I am excited and nervous about that too!

I have been really busy and not able to post much, just popping on to read and quickly catch up on how everyone is doing!

My thoughts are with you Debra for tomorrow, Dr. Deol will treat you great! So will Beaumont and you'll be home in no time!

Baileym

June 14th

Dr. Zoe Deol

Hi Alex,

Glad you brought this thread to the table. I am almost 13 months out and I have not had any problems at all. Had a little gastritis for about 3 weeks over six months ago, but it resolved itself as I lost more weight and passed through allergy season which gave me lots of post nasal congestion. I have had no other issues with my band and I still enjoy food immensely, just smaller and healthier portions.

Babs in TX

334/208/170

6/23/03

Alex,

You were right to post the good so often we focus on the bad. I being new am a victom of this. I was reminded today as I stepped on the scale and another pound disapeared what a wonderful journey this is becoming. Don't get me wrong, all the post help and I feel as if I have found somewhere where my concerns can be answered without any "what were you thinking" or "we told you so. I too have been over weight for well over 20 years. But now I see the hope on the horizon. I see what all of you are doing and it helps to keep focused on the future. What brave and wonderful women all of us are. To have taken a step towards saving our lives and our sanity. We live in a world where they think we are lazy... ect. Can 't understand our plight or our need to have surgery to fix the problem. The quizical looks of why? You look fine or why don't you workout the way you used too. (I used to be a top athlete) All I can say is bravo to all of us for taking back our lives and looking toward a future that holds so many more things for us then just "weighting" for our lives to begin. I love the positive post and I will remeber to Celebrate the small victories over this live long battle that I finaly believe I can win!!!

Rica :)