Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

eating too much

Since surgery 5/05/04 I have had 2 adjustments. I am at 2cc. I am getting another next week. I am embarrassed because I think I should be doing better. I've lost 23lbs. But, I can really eat with no problem.. Doctor said he will fix me up next week. What do you guys & gals think.

Hello,

I am not experienced about the fills yet but wanted to give my two cents for what its worth. It seems like 2 cc's is a lot. What size of band do you have? Are you following band eating habits (Protein first, vegis, Water, etc)? I know it is VERY individual for everyone so maybe you haven't hit your perfect spot yet. Is your doctor able to remove the same amount of liquid he put in? Hopefully this next one will be the one you need. Best wishes to you and keep us posted. I am sure others will respond for you. Teresa

Hi Newlapper -

It is possible that you are one of those people who needs a lot more Fluid than others to feel restriction. If you are practicing eating the "bandster way" most of the time (NO drinking with meals, solid Protein first, then veggies, then carbs) but can still eat a lot, then you need more restriction.

I agree with Teresa, that you should have your doc see if they can pull out all of the Fluid that's already in there, and check that you really are at 2ccs. If they can't pull it out, it's possible you have a leak, and that's why you're not feeling restricted. Do you feel restriction initially, and then it disappeared? Or have you never felt any differently with any of your fills?

Shelly was getting fills, and they were withdrawing the right amount of fluid, but somehow the fill wasn't making it to the band.

Do NOT dispair! Either you will get restriction, or you will find out why your fills aren't helping. Believe me, with a proper fill, you will not be able to eat too much.

Hang in there, and keep us posted!

Hi Newlapper,

Let me also just point out that you've lost 23 lbs in 2.5 months; that's almost 10 lbs / mo which is just perfect!! It's better than perfect; you're doing great!

Certainly explore the reasons you're not feeling restriction with your doctor, but don't get down on yourself while you're doing it. Even with this "slow" start (HA!) you're almost 25 lbs less heavy than you were 3 months ago. That's the size of a big toddler!! And this is progress you can keep.

Let us know what your doctor says, and don't worry!! :) :) :D

I will ask him to withdraw and see how much is in there. He said that sometimes that some have to have a large fill to reach their goal and it just depends on the person. My band is 9cc, or 9 something so I don't know how much it holds. Does anyone else?

Wow I have never heard of a band having 9cc, but hey I am so nbnew to this thing. I haven't had a fill yet. I think I need one though. But from what I have been reading you should check your band.

Newlapper,

Forget the numbers. You have the right amount of restriction, or too much or too little. If you've lost 10 pounds per month, you probably have enough (unless you have too much restriction.)

Why are you saying you can eat too much?

For some reason he said it holds 4. I don't really understand it, but if it takes all the 4 I'll take it. The main thing is to have enough to help with the amt of eating and wt loss.

Originally posted by newlapper

For some reason he said it holds 4. I don't really understand it, but if it takes all the 4 I'll take it. The main thing is to have enough to help with the amt of eating and wt loss.

Again...unless you have studied what all the numbers mean and understand them, forget the numbers. If your doctor puts 4cc of saline in your just band because you've decided that a 4cc band should have 4cc's in it, he should lose his license...and you'll probably lose part of your esophagus.

I'm thinking that someone did not prepare you for this surgery. This is the band, not the bypass. In an IDEAL case, you'll lose about 10 pounds per month. Having the band too tight does NOT mean you'll lose more weight or lose it faster. In fact, it can mean that you will start "eating around the band" and STOP losing weight.

The band is not about losing weight overnight...it's about how healthy you'll be in two years or five. THIS IS NOT A DIET. And it's not a race. It's about the rest of your life. Slow down, take a deep breath and read all you can about the band. you do NOT want it so tight that you starve this week, because next week they'll be taking it out and you'll be back to where you were pre-op.

We have all been where you are...but remember that FAST does not equal GOOD.

Sue

1st of all, I have studied plenty on the band, my doctor is gonna give me a fill that will allow me plenty of restriction. I don't feel a lot of restriction, and I know that losing slow is the best. IT IS A TOOL, and I know all about it. He is an great doctor and I feel that he will get the job done.. Slow is the best. But, I want alittle help with control. I am still excited!

Originally posted by newlapper

1st of all, I have studied plenty on the band,

Aha...then you understand that the "9" (it's probably 9.75 cm) has to do with linear measurement of the band and it is in centimeters, while the 4 cc's is a volume measurement, the recommended maximum capacity of the band in cubic centimeters or mililiters, and is more of reference regarding what the band is capable of than how much saline we should have.

my doctor is gonna give me a fill that will allow me plenty of restriction. I don't feel a lot of restriction,

Then what has caused you to lose 23 pounds in two months? Is it that you are just exercising a lot of self control? Extra exercise? That kind of thing?

and I know that losing slow is the best.

It sounds as though you think that 23 pounds in two months is "losing slow." It is not. It is absolutely the right amount of weight. If you are doing that without "feeling restriction" then you are ahead of the game and to make the band any tighter is just wrong.

IT IS A TOOL, and I know all about it. He is an great doctor and I feel that he will get the job done.. Slow is the best. But, I want alittle help with control.

Me, too. Unfortunately, that has (in my case) nothing to do with the band.

I am still excited!

Good. Excitement will certainly help get the job done and bests the hell out of depression.

But just a comment...you asked for input and I gave you mine. I've been banded for almost two years, been reading about it for three, often in medical journals, have spoken/corresponded with a half-dozen surgeons, have suffered from and seen others suffer from GERD (which can kill you) and erosion (which can slice through your stomach/esophagus) and my comment/suggestion is to leave well enough alone. I don't know how much weight you need to lose, but, at this rate, in a year you will weigh 138 pounds less than you did pre-op.

Good luck!

didn't mean to get into all the scientifics of the band, but I do appreciate your advice. I guess, I would prefer a better approach of advice than to have someone sound like a crime was going to be committed. Thanks for what all you told me though. Good luck to you also.

Newlapper, I don't think Sue was criticizing you. We just don't want to see you have any horrible problems that could cause you to lose your band and/or cause some very serious health problems. You're doing great! We're all learning how to live with this "tool". Each day creates new triumphs and new problems. This is a wonderful support group. Please keep researching, learning, and sharing.

No, not criticizing YOU, New. But I would criticize a doctor who would tighten up a band that is doing so well. Some will...just to shut the patients up.

But REALLY, you are doing PERFECT. I think any of us would want to be doing exactly what you are.

Thanks, NewHope.

Sue