Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lapband conversion to sleeve!

I had my Lapband surgery 8.22.11 I only lost 20lbs. Totally devastated and depressed I couldnt understand why I wasn't losing the weight. I kept getting my fills like I was supposed to and still nothing. My surgeon at the time was very rude and not supportive, he never checked for slips, leaks or anything. I finally switched doctors this year and my new doc immediately wanted to check for issues. Well I found out my port was backwards or it flipped. I was devastated. I've had this in me over a year wrong which has stopped my wls progress and now I was faced with correcting the port to see if the band would work or go a different route. I decided I want the sleeve! I don't have a surgery date yet but I know my insurance covers it so I'm good to go there. Right now I'm waiting on all previous records (results of cardiologist, lungs, psychologist and sleep study) from my last doc to get transferred so they can determine if I need to go through that process again. I'm nervous but excited. My only fear is this surgeon is going to go in and feel there is too much damage done from the band and not do the conversion and prolong my process for the sleeve. I've had so much frustration and depression behind the band im just ready for some success! Are there other people who have done conversions on here? I'd love to hear from you....

Three days from getting my sleeve! I was banded back in 2008 and had to have it removed in 2012 due to a profound slip. So I has been 2 full years since I had the thing and the surgeon still had to remove some scar tissue left from the band. I know some surgeons will do the band removal and sleeve at the same time, some prefer to wait in between to give the stomach time to heal. It's going to depend on your surgeon and how much damage has been done by the band.

So far, this surgery has been much easier than the band. Good luck as you go forward!!!

Thank you for the reply i really appreciate your response. I am really hoping all goes well and it an be done all at once!

Rena82, I am a band to sleeve revision as well. First, my port flipped, then my band slipped, then it slipped again and finally, it started to erode into my stomach. My surgeon had me have a complete unfill one month prior to my surgery. Then, I was on liquids only for two weeks pre-op to give my stomach the opportunity to heal as much as possible. I was able to have my band removed and get sleeved all in one operation. I have not had any problems, love my sleeve and haven't looked back since.

Hopefully, things will go as smoothly for you as well.

Sent from my iPad using VST