Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know that I haven't posted much until now but you all have been so important to me while I was on my pre-op journey. I can now say that I am officially joining you on the losers bench. It still feels so surreal. I had my sleeve surgery on Tuesday March 5th. I came home yesterday (Friday the 8th). I was originally scheduled two weeks ago (the 20th of February) then got delayed because someone forgot to order some supply thing for surgery. Then I was scheduled for February 28th but my white blood count was high so I was delayed again and I had to do 5 days on an antibiotic. Finally I was able to get the procedure this past Tuesday. My dad took me in at 5:30 am. Surgery went well! Surprisingly well actually. I rolled back into my room after the procedure and woke up. Saw my mom there smiling at me. I had no nausea at all. The doc likes to prevent any of that right at the get go with anti-nausea stuff. The pain was manageable. Felt a little like I had gotten kicked in the stomach. I was taking my first steps post op about 4 hours after I woke up. The meds that I got post op was dilaudid, liquid Motrin, anti nausea, blood thinner, and gas chews.

Wednesday went well. I had my leak test and passed with flying colors and got advanced to Clear liquids. Still no nausea. I didn't have any bad gas pains either, and none in the shoulder like some folks talk about. My tummy got a little rumbly at times but then I'd burp and it would be gone. By Wednesday evening I was doing so well that they took off the leg massager things, my cardiac monitor, and my iv line (left the port in for meds tho) so I could get up on my own. Freedom! It was so nice to be able to get up and go to the bathroom or take a walk when I wanted. The pain was very minimal and at this point was only taking liquid Motrin a few times a day and of course the steady stream of anti nausea. Getting into or put of bed and into and out of chairs was a bit uncomfortable but once the movement was done all was great. The main thing that caused any twinges was my JP drain. It did kind of pull if I wasn't careful. The iv port wasn't great either as it pinched. I was starting to get bored of the hospital by this point and longing for an uninterrupted night sleep without the nurses coming in for vitals and such. My dad came to visit so that was a bright spot in my day.

Thursday I was pretty much climbing the walls in boredom. I walked a ton, watched tv (actually watched a marathon of Swamp People on the History Channel. Boy I was bored!), read, visited with some of the other patients, texted my hubby between his classes, my mom, and my best friend. My cell phone didn't get enough signal for calls but it could do text messages ok. I was also moved to full liquids for meals. Hospital food really sucks by the way haha. Still got anti-nausea, blood thinner, liquid Motrin and gas chews. My dad came by again for a visit. My mom had work issues so she couldn't come by. She doesn't do hospitals very well anyway. The fact that she came on Tuesday was enough for me.

Friday I got my JP drain pulled. That was the WEIRDEST feeling. Not painful exactly. But definitely a bit on the strange and unpleasant side. If anyone has ever seen the Alien movie series, the chest burster scenes is what it reminded me of, kinda wiggling itself out of my abdomen. haha. Once the drain was out I felt SO much better. The nurse came back a few minutes later and took out the iv port. I was then able to be discharged and now I'm just chilling at my parents home for the weekend until I go home on Sunday. I miss my own bed and my kitty cat. I am married but my hubby is in the army and was forced to go to a military school this past Sunday which lasts for the next 6 weeks. It would have worked out better if I had gotten my surgery on time, he had taken leave in order to be with me the first time around, but stuff happens. My folks have been so great in helping me this week and have kept in constant contact with my hubby about how I was doing. I got to have a long phone chat with him today which was wonderful. Now I can prepare for the follow up doctor's appointments and greater health with weight loss success.

I just wanted to share my experience and to say thank you to all of you here at VST. Without all of you I don't know if I would have been able to go through with the surgery. I loved being able to read the experiences, advice, tips, and first hand accounts. It was really a huge help. Thank you thank you thank you! :)

Jennifer

Thanks for the play by play ... It's sounding a lot more bearable then I originally thought. I was picturing horrible pain for weeks. Thank you for posting your experience 8 )

I am glad it went well for you, Jenn.

Ya, that tube coming out is an unnatural experience. :wacko:

Unnatural is the bare minimum of what I would call that Gmanbat!

First full week out and doing well. Still a bit tender when doing things but getting a lot better. It's easier to get up from and into chairs and bed. No dizziness. No nausea. No gas pains. Tummy is a bit sore still but getting better every day. I'd say that I'm feeling about 75% of my normal 100. I can do most of what I could before though when I do try to do too much my tummy lets me know! And I do still feel the need to take a little rest in the afternoon. Incision sites are getting a bit itchy but that means that they are healing. :)

I'm finding that it's a real juggling act to find a balance between Protein and hydration. If I get my full required Protein then I'm usually down on my hydration because I'm so full. If I get my full required hydration then I'm low on my protein. I know it's only a week out but I really don't want to have either hydration or protein issues. I do stop "eating" when I'm full so I just have to wait until my stomach capacity is a bit more.

I have my first post-op appointment on Thursday. I should be progressed to mushies/soft foods then as well. I can't wait for some cottage cheese! Anything with a little bit more texture. :tongue2: