Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 days into pre op diet and feeling weak...

My surgery was December 7' date=' 2012. I am still going through my post open appointments and haven't seen the surgeon post surgery yet. I didn't do the shakes pre surgery. I would say have another Protein shake before solid food. Your trying to get to the point where the body starts burning the fat for energy. Try a short walk after a meal. The light headedness may be from giving up coffee, sugared soda if it continues you need to tell your doctor.[/quote']

Thank you for these tips. I'm not a coffee or soda drinker but I DO enjoy red wine! Congratulations on your surgery!!

I don't ordinarily do a lot of sugar free stuff, but with my preop, because I'm so limited on what I can have, I've been eating more artificial sweeteners than I ordinarily would. If I consume more than a few servings of aspartame a day I get a wicked headache. Of course Jell-o is an AWESOME treat on the pre-op but it's also loaded with aspartame so if I eat jell-o, I have to make sure that my drinks and Protein powders are sweetened with something else. So I found a Protein powder sweetened with stevia and I'm drinking mostly Water for my drinks.

Just a thought... if you don't usually do a lot of sugar free stuff, that the aspartame could be causing headaches.

Also some people report flu-like symptoms during the first few days of preop or any low carb VLCD.. Although it's unpleasant, it is completely normal. By day 6 you'll be feeling AWESOME! Cheating and eating a bunch of carbs will only prolong the process your body is going through and you'll be feeling yucky for longer.

Good luck to you on your preop. I'm on the last day of mine.. then three days of nothing but clears.. NOT looking forward to that part, but this too shall pass!

We are on many different plans. My doctor has me on 2-3 Protein Drinks a day plus a "lean and green" meal.. meaning a meal of lean Protein such as a chicken breast or poached fish and a salad of dark leafy greens or some steamed/boiled leafy greens. no extra oils/sauces no root vegetables and no fruit

My Center does not require a pre-op diet unless you fail to lose weight consistently as you await surgery. Of course you will be on clears the day before and NPO after midnight of the operative day! Good luck to all you March sleevers - I'm April 24th.

My pre-op diet is 2 weeks of the no-sugar added carnation breakfast essentials powder mixes. I can have 4-5 a day. And then I get 1 cup of sugar free Jello and 2-3 sugar free Popsicles a day. Have to drink a total of 64 oz a day...can add crystal light, sugar free kool-aid, Mio or dasani liquid Water Enhancer to my Water.< /p>

Believe me, it starves you. The carnation mixes have to be mixed with water and don't fill you up at all like a Protein Shake does.

That's what I've been doing. I finally found a Protein shake I like (chocolate of course)!! Good luck in your surgery!! March 19th!! Here we come!

I choose to stick with the Protein shakes from Kaiser.....they also taste great. There pre-made containing 15gm per serving. It's so encouraging to know we're all fighting the same battle. Best wishes to all my Bariatric Beauties & Studs

Mine is 3-4 Protein Shakes a day, plus one small meal, and goes on for a week. I will probably try to ease into it the week before to reduce the impact.

I'm 4 days in too. It is totally normal from all I've heard and read. Your body is trying to deal with the shock of not having instant fuel (sugars' date=' carbs, excess fats) and that adjustment can cause headache, nausea, weakness, dizziness, irritability and body aches. I've been getting dizzy and shaking/weak now that I am 4 days in and i can barely get up the stairs to my house.

Keep at it!! If you did 4 you can totally do another 4![/quote']

I am so nervous about that part. I work in an assembly plant. How will I manage? I'm just going to have to do it!! All I want is my surgery date! You guys give me strength but I'm still scared! :)

I choose to stick with the Protein Shakes from Kaiser.....they also taste great. There pre-made containing 15gm per serving. It's so encouraging to know we're all fighting the same battle. Best wishes to all my Bariatric Beauties & Studs

I choose to stick with the Protein shakes from Kaiser.....they also taste great. There pre-made containing 15gm per serving. It's so encouraging to know we're all fighting the same battle. Best wishes to all my Bariatric Beauties & Studs

Where I can I find these?

I am so nervous about that part. I work in an assembly plant. How will I manage? I'm just going to have to do it!! All I want is my surgery date! You guys give me strength but I'm still scared! :)

How far are you into the process? I unexpectedly received my surgery date last week. I went for my last one on one appt with the nut and was told I was already approved. Prior to that appt on the same day, the sleep doc was telling me he wanted me to do another sleep study so that they could go ahead and send my info to the insurance comp. Imagine my surprise when the nut told me the news since I was still fulfilling requirements. Hang on tight. Your date will come in no time!

Where I can I find these?

Well Kaiser is one of the biggest health networks in California....and the hospital clinics have a store within the hospital for bariatric patients....they sell their own shakes, Snacks etc.

How far are you into the process? I unexpectedly received my surgery date last week. I went for my last one on one appt with the nut and was told I was already approved. Prior to that appt on the same day' date=' the sleep doc was telling me he wanted me to do another sleep study so that they could go ahead and send my info to the insurance comp. Imagine my surprise when the nut told me the news since I was still fulfilling requirements. Hang on tight. Your date will come in no time![/quote']

Hi. My drs office sent the paperwork off to my ins co last week, so I'm playing the waiting game. :). I have finished all my requirements. Your date is right around the corner. I am happy for you & hope your surgery is as easy breezy as possible!!!

I'm heading to Mexico for my surgery and our instructions are quite simple. Two Protein Shakes for breakfast/lunch and a Protein and a salad for dinner. Can have an extra Protein Shake if needed. Sooooo....that's it for us! LOL. I also think the quality of the protein you consumes makes a huge difference. I'm afraid of the pre-mixed drink as there are a lot of ingredients in them that I don't know what they are! I just use 100% whey powder, almond milk and two frozen strawberries mixed in a magic bullet and wa-la ---- done ;) I know every ingredient going into my body that way! I muched on some spinach leaves this afternoon and for dinner i had more spinach and two more strawberries, Fat Free Raspberry Vinegarette dressing, and two pieces of Tilapia with fresh lemon. I've got the munchies now so I grabbed a cup of chicken broth and a few bites of sugar free jell-o. I think I'm still okay as my calories have remained the same I've just sort of stretched things out throughout the day.

I am on my 8th day of pre op diet for gastric bypass, with eight days to go (silly me, I gave myself an extra day) and I am feeling weak in the mornings only. However I have had a headache for about 4 days now, but am waiting for my Unjury chix Soup to get here. I think I will try chicken broth tonight as well. I have had sugar free Jello, and believe I am drinking enough Water, because I have always been a water drinker.