Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does everyone have their Ghrelin hormone removed?

I can't be pestering my dr with all my little questions so I asked on here.

A concern regarding your past post-op infection history is NOT a little question. Infections can KILL you.

Please be diligent and make sure you are completely informed and at ease with your surgeon's direction and decisions before you commit to this (or any) surgery.

There is a very low complication rate with VSG, but there are still complications and some are debilitating and even fatal. Infection is one of them. If you have a prior history of post-op infection (and you do......), do everything in your power to prevent that from happening this time!

Fill your brain with information, fill your medical team's ears with your concerns. Get your questions answered.

Then you can move forward. :)

Yes I was going to call my breast surgeon and run it by him. He is a top dr in nz and I blame my body for that happening lol ... I even had a reaction to the tape they put on the scars to flatten them. Ok I have to admit I did think there was a sort of "sleeve" they used to cover the side of stomach that was removed and it was attached w the staples. It makes me feel better there isn't. Now just worried about the staples. Ad I haven't gotten up the courage to watch any YouTube clips on the surgery. (I can't even watch surgery parts of grays anatomy) I will have to tuffin up I think ????

I do have another appointment closer to the time with him ... I'm booked in for July .. (I need to save up $17000) so I will be more thorough in the next meeting. I have seen their dietitian and going to see the psychologist in April. I'm only 30 BMI so they're not takin it lightly. If anything I'm worried after seeing the dietitian that he may back out as she thing she can help me loose 20kg. I've tried for 15 years and I'm an amature boxer and very active - so I'm doing all I can to get prepared for surgery to go ahead. It is my dream to not have food rule my life!

If you're not able to watch TV surgery, I would not encourage you to watch the Youtube videos of VSG procedures either. It may just add to your anxiety!

There is a great deal of information available, either from your surgeon or online that is "theoretical" or shown with diagrams. Seeing an actual procedure is not required for your education and is really only available for those who have an interest and the ability to watch a surgical procedure without stress.

Research the procedure steps and diagrams, it will give you the information you are looking for.

Here are a few places to start:

http://tinyurl.com/3qzm9au

http://tinyurl.com/7lbskv4

http://tinyurl.com/cp9zutc

Thank you!! That's very thoughtful & helpful! I was worried people would think I wasn't taking it seriously if I hadn't watched a clip. I would much prefer diagrams!!! Thank you again !

I was told typically the ghrlein hormones are in the part of the stomach that gets removed that is not the case for everyone.

Ghrelin is only one of multiple hormones that signal hunger, according to my surgeon. While medicine still doesn't entirely understand the complexity of how all the hormones in the stomach function, it's safe to say your sense of hunger will be different (in my case less intense and harder to identify) but certainly still there.

That makes perfect spence that you said it can effect sleep quality and quantity. I'm just now getting to an almost normal nights sleep.

Ha...my doc threw it in for free :D

ghrelin hormone can also affect you getting cold easier. Apparently it plays a part in warming the body. So I'm told. But it would make sense because since being sleeved, I am always freezing!!!!!