Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Happy with McKeen / fill / Utah

Just wanted to let those looking for a Utah fill doc that I just had a SUPER good experience with Dr. McKeen and his nurse Chris in Orem, Utah. I am a very discouraged/unhappy band patient and have been going to mexico for my fills. I was nervous about going outside of Mexico but wanted to try a different doc and go local, etc. I was a little concerned about not having the flouro (he has access to it but i think only uses it if warranted). And i am embarrasingly scared of needles - anyway - it was a wonderful experience and both the nurse and doctor talked to me at length and totally put me at ease and gave me good information and hope i could succeed - even slowly with the band. He does a numbing shot which they don't do in Mexico so really didn't feel anything - the numbing shot hurt for like 2 seconds (minor tho even for a baby like me) and he takes his time, very patient, calming etc. anyway, here's hoping i can get some pounds off now. Definitely go to him ifyou are looking for a fill doc - i highly recommend him.

Dr. McKeen is my doctor, he also does fills in San Jose, CA (he travels back and forth between there and Utah). He is absolutely fantastic.

I have had a lot of trouble reaching a proper level of restriction, and he gone above and beyond in working with me on this.

I also would highly recommend him.

Melinda,

so happy to hear of your progress/success - it goes to show i guess we all need to hang in there - not give up - sometimes hard to do

Hi marys! I'm in Utah too so I wanted to say hi. I've found quite a few locals on here. There is a Utah thread under USA local support if you want to meet some more people from Utah. I'm so glad you found a good fill doc!

Hi Jessica,

Thanks for your suggestion - I will check that thread out and nice to meet you too! Yes, Chris (Dr. McKeen's nurse even emailed me today with some other questions/suggestions from Dr. McKeen) - I'm very happy and impressed and comforted that he seems to care so much - didn't realize how much i needed that.

I am in SLC and only 1 week post-op and was going to go through fillcenterusa, but I think I will give your doctor a call first to schedule my first fill. I am a big wimp as well and want to be with a doctor who will make me feel emotionally comfortable and at ease. Thank you for reccommending him. :)

dr. mckeen charges 375 for the first fill and i think 325 for the subsequent ones - i would say definitely try him before fill center - not knocking fill center but it's good to have a regular local doc to call if you have any follow-on problems or needs. for example -i've been wanting to get a rx for phenegren (that anti nauseau - can never spell that word- medicine) and since i don't have a local doc, etc. he did it for me. i also really liked him and his nurse chris. good luck.

Fill Centers USA has contracted with a Bariatric Physician in Salt Lake City to do fills. Prices are much cheaper than McKeen.

Not sure if this is still true but I called the fill center number because it had utah listed and the woman actually told me that she wouldn't send anyone to him because he had only done one fill - not sure how she thought he would get his experience but it wasn't going to be me. That's why I decided to see Dr. McKeen. Still very happy with him as he will take time to call me/counsel me/has helped me tons more than my surgeon/his staff who completely deserted me in my time of need. Yes, I still know they are there for emergencies but as far as after care - nada. Not knocking fill center as even I would still use them dpending on the expereience of the fill person, etc. just sharing my experience.

Julie, I feel the same way - I can't wait to call him this week too - he talked with me at length last week about first bit syndrome and some things to try (harder) at and I have lost over 5lbs in a week! Im just back to my usual holding weight but am hopeful I can keep losing - if so, I will be more then elated -. I am so happy I found someone local who is willing to help me be successful. Congrats to you too - take care!

Funny, we talked about first bite syndrome last week when I saw him. Congrats on your weight loss to date. We are in good hands with McKeen. Take care.