Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hunger? Seriously?

My rant is that there are some days when my appetite seems to really increase, like today. Seriously?

I remember not being that hungry for first 6 months, but following that I seem to get hungry mid morning and mid afternoon in between meals. I thought flavored water would satisfy, but it does not so I have been having an extra laughing cow here or spoonful of edamame salad there to hold me to the next meal. I eat 5-6 meals a day of 3-5 ounces of solid Protein.< /p>

Wondering if I should take something to help with appetite suppressant like hoodia or something related. How have you dealt with this? Darn Grehlin is making a come back. It is so distracting to be fighting the hunger. So far the hunger is losing, but...

No one else struggles with this?

My doc said to eat at the same time everyday because once the hunger comes back it'll already be on the routine. So I'd say start eating on a regular schedule!

I totally struggle with this! But I have no answers, so I'm not sure what to offer.

Pre-surgery, I had this talk with my surgeon about hunger. He said that with the change in gherlin levels, I would not be hungry in the conventional sense ... my body would be sending me new signals when it needed food and I would learn those new signals.

So, if my body is running short of some nutrient, I will get the feeling that I am running short on something. I will continue to get that feeling until I refill that bucket. Eating well balanced meals will continually keep all those nutritional buckets filled which limits my body telling me to eat.

It made sense to me, but I don't know if I am explaining it well.

Think of all the different elements you absorb from food ... Vitamins, minerals, carbs, fats, Proteins ...

Your body needs a certain quota of each and if you are lacking, your body will say, "HEY, I NEED SOME Calcium BECAUSE I GOTTA DO SOME REPAIRS OVER HERE IN SECTION #4356."

So, you get the urge that is usually settled by having a glass of milk or some cheese. But what if you eat popcorn or a steak, instead? The craving will continue and you'll think, "Jeesh! Why am I hungry all the time?"

Well balanced meals

So many people get sleeved and then think they need to go on some kind of "diet". Limit fats and carbs ... our sleeve is doing that for us. Our job is to well balanced meals. It's been working for me. Your milage may vary.

That was an excellent explanation, PDX!

So' date=' if my body is running short of some nutrient, I will get the feeling that I am running short on something. But what if you eat popcorn or a steak, instead? .[/quote']

Awesome post! Actually, it is exactly as I am feeling! This post will change some thoughts for me. It will. Thanks!

Awesome post! Actually, it is exactly as I am feeling! This post will change some thoughts for me. It will. Thanks!

Yeah, when I get this feeling, I try to focus on what my body is lacking. What "sounds good" to eat? What have I had today and where am I falling short nutritionally. I then try to focus on that and most of the time, I get quite sated.

I have heard the craving for chocolate is actually the body telling you it needs potassium. A banana can satisfy a chocolate craving.

But also know, it takes practice. Just like everything. Ever try meditating? I bet you were terrible the first time. But after awhile, it comes natural.

I'm still in the learning stages nutritional-wise, and I am not perfect. I do cheat. But I KNOW when I am cheating and when I am feeding. I don't try to lie to myself about it.

"Jeesh! I was hungry and ate that jelly donut, but I am still hungry ... WTF?"

Yeah ... no ... I know why I am still hungry, but I ate the jelly donut because I wanted to eat the jelly donut. Not to satisfy my hunger.

I truely believe this is the way "skinny" people eat. They eat what their body needs and they know when they are cheating. And they don't make excuses for it, either. All the things I am trying to learn ...

But, I am learning, not ignoring.

Very enlightening post PDXman.

I've been drinking my green shakes for a while now...regularly. I stopped for a few days and I noticed I was constantly hungry and no amount of food would satisfy me. I needed some good carbs obviously.

My rant is that there are some days when my appetite seems to really increase, like today. Seriously?

I remember not being that hungry for first 6 months, but following that I seem to get hungry mid morning and mid afternoon in between meals. I thought flavored Water would satisfy, but it does not so I have been having an extra laughing cow here or spoonful of edamame salad there to hold me to the next meal. I eat 5-6 meals a day of 3-5 ounces of solid Protein.

Wondering if I should take something to help with appetite suppressant like hoodia or something related. How have you dealt with this? Darn Grehlin is making a come back. It is so distracting to be fighting the hunger. So far the hunger is losing, but...

Fiddleman...with all your hard exercise, when was the last time you upped your caloric intake? You're getting so close to goal, I know you have a plan for maintenance. Perhaps your body is telling you it's almost time to implement that plan. We cannot keep our calories extremely low forever...especially being super active as you are.

Fiddleman...with all your hard exercise' date=' when was the last time you upped your caloric intake? You're getting so close to goal, I know you have a plan for maintenance. Perhaps your body is telling you it's almost time to implement that plan. We cannot keep our calories extremely low forever...especially being super active as you are.[/quote']

It has been about 1.5 months since I have last upped it to between 900-1100 daily. What should I up it to now?

I have registered for cross fitness today and will be starting that tomorrow. Plan is to cross fit on my off running days and take one day off a week (like Sunday) to recover.

I couldn't say for you, but after I got my resting metabolic rate and VO2 max test I found out exactly how many calories I was burning on my runs. I realized I was in a calorie deficit of over 2500 calories on certain days. That's just too many. The furnace won't burn without fuel so I upped my calories to 2000/day from 1500. We will see how that goes.

My resting metabolic rate was 2200. That's what I'd burn everyday if I just sat on the couch all day. But I work an outdoor physical job, plus work out every day. An hour long run at my aerobic threshold was over 1100 calories burned. You see where this is going. After a while, not only will the limited calories hold me back, but the weight loss will slow way down with too much of a deficit for too long.

I do find myself getting hungry. I am trying to increase calories slowly. I have a horrible fear of gaining weight back. :(

I do find myself getting hungry. I am trying to increase calories slowly. I have a horrible fear of gaining weight back. :(

Yup, that is definitely my concern as well so trying to not give into the hunger. I like PdxMan's description above that hunger is a deficiency in something. However I do admit it is going to be a challenge to figure out what the deficiency is. I read an article this morning about the long term effects of taking a PPI ( posted also in another heartburn thread).

http://refluxdefense.com/heartburn_GERD_articles/side-effects-antacids-and-acid-blockers.html

Maybe I am struggling with more malabsorption then I came to admit after taking a daily PPI for 8 months now. However, my blood work came back normal at the 6 month check. I also do not eat very many vegetables and no fruit. Probably the equivalent on 1 serving of veggies a day. Still mostly eating high Protein n low carb, but do eat healthy carb before I run in the form of a couple energy squares ( nuts.com).

I also do not eat very many vegetables and no fruit. Probably the equivalent on 1 serving of veggies a day. Still mostly eating high Protein n low carb, but do eat healthy carb before I run in the form of a couple energy squares ( nuts.com).

Sounds like you should introduce some more "balance" into your diet, just as PdxMan and Butterthebean have suggested. I avoided fruit for the first 8 months as I was concerned about the carbs. But since I've had small doses of fruit on nearly a daily basis, I find my energy levels are much better, my sugar cravings are much more in control and skin and immune system seem much better also!

Vegetables were always in my diet (as a solid 2nd choice behind protein).

I track my protein/fat/carbs on MFP and Fitbit and things are roughly 35%/35%/30%. I am usually within these guidelines, even when I'm indulging my "cravings".

Try the rounded meal approach for a while and reevaluate how your body feels and is performing!