Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello to all and I am reaching out to get some help/input on your own experience.

My mother recently had the vertical sleeve performed on Monday and she was in the hospital for two nights. The last day of the hospital stay she was up-and-about doing great. She came home that third day and also had a good night. Wednesday, the third post-op morning, she went to the store with me to pick out the Vitamins and different diet choices she was able to have (Good walking for her) and she tolerated it great. Once we were home she started getting the chills and ran a fever + becoming lethargic. We called the doc and got some orders for tylenol and she took it, decreasing her fever. Today she went to the surgeon and had blood work, CT with barium swallow, and urine cultures performed. Everything was good and she did not have any complications from what the NP or MD saw. The only thing he said was it looked like she may start dev a little pneumonia to keep the incentive spirometer blowing and start the prescribed antibiotics. Also it could be due to post-op stress on her body. She has never been in surgery or pain meds.

I am more worried about when the pain should start to subside. Like everyone is saying, she isnt too hungry. Its more of the "have to" factor that keeps her eating the required three meals right now.

Is the pain with swallowing normal at this stage?

Is the gas cramps through the intestines normal after eating? When did this subside for you?

I am a RN in a intensive care unit and I see the worst of the worst in health care. I need to know how you handled it and how it felt for you. Thanks and God Bless.

I am more worried about when the pain should start to subside. Like everyone is saying' date=' she isnt too hungry. Its more of the "have to" factor that keeps her eating the required three meals right now.

Is the pain with swallowing normal at this stage?

Is the gas cramps through the intestines normal after eating? When did this subside for you?

I am a RN in a intensive care unit and I see the worst of the worst in health care. I need to know how you handled it and how it felt for you. Thanks and God Bless.[/quote']

Hi,

And first off I'm happy to hear that your mothers doctor was proactive and got her in sooner than later.

Everyone's healing time is different there are some here that say they felt great 3 days out.

There are a lot of variables ( age, over all health,pain tolerance)

But for many of us the first week was a hard one.

Hopefully she can stay ahead of the pain a little with the pain meds. But even with those there can be a lot discomfort.

Having painful swallowing in that first week is common.

As far as the stomach issues those too get better with time. At about two weeks my stomach settled down for the most part. But I would say in the first month it's not abnormal to experience stomach issues, pain and nausea here and there.

Thanks I am just worried...this helps all input is greatly appreciated

No problem I think the biggest worry comes from running a fever and nausea. But it sounds like the doctor did all the tests to rule out a surgical complication.

I hope she feels better soon.

I work in an ICU as well... I know what u mean about seeing the worst. In the beginning when I would drink and even now at the solids stage my stomach hurts. It doesn't last as long now. Also in the beginning cold liquids killed me! They hurt so bad I had to let everything be room temp or hot liquids like broth. Gas cramps are very normal not only that but I burp like crazy too. In the beginning I took gas x a couple times a day to help. I was also very weak at times too. I got out of the shower one time about a week and a half post op and I went straight to my bed. I thought I was going to pass out and I couldn't even speak I felt so nauseous and out of it. My husband was afraid something bad was wrong. Luckily it passed. Those spells became less and less until I'm at work running around like crazy and then sometimes I start to get that feeling again and it reminds me to slow down. Your mom will get better and things will get easier. It's just gonna take time.

I hope your mom improves. My first few days post op my primary pain was stomach spasms. Every time liquid would hit my stomach it would seize up. Sometimes it did that for no reason at all. That started to subside after about 5 days. I also had a day of fever and chills. My husband is a nurse. I was off the pain meds by then so he watched my temp. It never went above 100 and went back to normal the next day. When I started soft foods at 2 weeks, I felt the pain of restriction then, which is different. I also have some occasional sharp pains in my abdominal muscles. They are healing now and I think that is normal. All the above to say, she will probably continue to experience some pain and discomfort for awhile. It will probably not be too hard to distinguish "normal" pain from something that needs doctor attention.