Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well yest was my FIRST appt with the surgeon to discuss gastric sleeve surgery. I am soooo excited and a bit annoyed. I'm excited because I know I'm ready for this and annoyed because my Ins calls for 6mos documented weight loss prevention visits with weigh ins before they approve paying for the surgery. So looking to an Aug or Sept surgery date, if all goes well. Well there are a lot of tests to take prior so I'm busy making my appointments to get ready. I hope these six months go fast and I'm cleared for surgery. I have a cruise to Mexico in Dec I wanna be able to go to!! :))))

Hi, I had a six month process also. At times it felt like it was taking forever, but when I got my surgery date, it felt like the time flew by. I actually found the 6 months to be very helpful. It gave me plenty of time to educate myself further. I found myself on this site almost everyday. By the time my surgery came around, I was very comfortable with it and did not have much anxiety. The day before I did think about my mortality and wondered if I should write a letter to each of my kids and to my husband. Thankfully I didn't need to.

I can totally related about the letter writing to your kids and husband. I've thought about the same thing. But I'm having faith everything will work out!! I hope my time flies by as yours did!! I too have been on this site often, it's been a god send!! It's a great support site. I welcome any pos or neg comments as we are each individuals and go through things differently.

Welcome. I'm in the last 6mths of my 12 mth required wait. I feel sooo ready. I'll be getting vsg around the same timeframe as you. I do come in this site daily. It has been very educational and helpful.

WOW a 12 month wait? Is that what your ins required. I really hope I don't have to wait that long. They (my surgeons office) told me 6 mos!! Well like you, I AM SOOOOO READY!!! I can't wait!! GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND PLEASE KEEP ME POSTED. Have you told anyone?!! I refuse to. Only one friend if mine, my ex husband and daughter know!! Have you don't the required tests. My endoscopy is worrying me. I see the Endoscopy Dr in April but not sure when the procedure will take place!! I'm also concerned of sagging skin but I guess that's the least of my problems considering what I'm going through being over weight. AGAIN, GOOD LUCK!!

I've told my immediate family, my close friends, and some of my co-workers. Once I start losing the weight, I don't think i'm going to broadcast it though. I'm just going to say that I've made major changes to how much I eat, and I exercise. Which will be telling the truth.

I'm in VA and I work for the state. We get our insurance through Anthem BCBS. I was told the state elected the 12mth weight. Watch...after I have the surgery it'll probably change to 6mths for the new people.

I have to be in Anthem's weight coaching program for 12mths and join a weight loss program like weight watchers. I joined TOPS since it's cheaper. I've only done the pylori test. I still have my psychological, cardio, and nutritionist appointments to attend. I scheduled those close to the end of my 12mth stint. That way i'll have everything done and the surgeon's office will only have to submit the referral.

I don't know. I'm not so worried about the sagging skin. If it's really bad i'll see if my insurance will pay to fix that. Good luck to you. I posted in the either September or August surgery forum. I'm hoping that's when I'll have my surgery.

My 6 months of supervised weight loss was invaluable. I thought I was ready back in June when I was first denied, but I was FAR from ready.

I took these 6 months as a chance to prove to myself that I could succeed after surgery. I started exercising regularly, started counseling, attended a bariatric support group, and learned to eat healthy. I made a ton of mistakes, but I learned so much from them and I know I'm stronger than ever for after surgery.

The 6 months was definitely a blessing :)

I've told my immediate family' date=' my close friends, and some of my co-workers. Once I start losing the weight, I don't think i'm going to broadcast it though. I'm just going to say that I've made major changes to how much I eat, and I exercise. Which will be telling the truth.

I'm in VA and I work for the state. We get our insurance through Anthem BCBS. I was told the state elected the 12mth weight. Watch...after I have the surgery it'll probably change to 6mths for the new people.

I have to be in Anthem's weight coaching program for 12mths and join a weight loss program like weight watchers. I joined TOPS since it's cheaper. I've only done the pylori test. I still have my psychological, cardio, and nutritionist appointments to attend. I scheduled those close to the end of my 12mth stint. That way i'll have everything done and the surgeon's office will only have to submit the referral.

I don't know. I'm not so worried about the sagging skin. If it's really bad i'll see if my insurance will pay to fix that. Good luck to you. I posted in the either September or August surgery forum. I'm hoping that's when I'll have my surgery.[/quote']

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL THE INFO. LETS HOPE OUR TIME GOES FAST AND ALL GOES WELL!! Lets keep each other posted!! I'm going to def post here all the happenings so to speak!! :))

My 6 months of supervised weight loss was invaluable. I thought I was ready back in June when I was first denied' date=' but I was FAR from ready.

I took these 6 months as a chance to prove to myself that I could succeed after surgery. I started exercising regularly, started counseling, attended a bariatric support group, and learned to eat healthy. I made a ton of mistakes, but I learned so much from them and I know I'm stronger than ever for after surgery.

The 6 months was definitely a blessing :)

[/quote']

May I ask why we're you denied in the first place?!!

And that's exactly what I plan on doing for the next six months because the surgery, to me, is the easy part. The hard part is eating well and exercising regularly!!

May I ask why we're you denied in the first place?!!

And that's exactly what I plan on doing for the next six months because the surgery' date=' to me, is the easy part. The hard part is eating well and exercising regularly!![/quote']

Awesome! Yeah I am right with you on surgery being the easy part. :)

I was denied initially because I wasn't sure if they wanted me to do the 6 months... Well, they did! So they denied me and then 6 months later I submitted the paperwork and was approved on February 19. Then things moved so fast! My date is March 13.

Crocon-How long after the paperwork was submitted before you were approved.

Crocon-How long after the paperwork was submitted before you were approved.

Well, after your 6 months is complete, your surgeons office will probably take 2-3 weeks to do some pre-pre-op testing and review the results. Then it can take 2 weeks for processing, then they'll submit the claim. I heard back in 3 weeks. So while my 6 months was up Jan 4, nothing was submitted till Jan 29. Then I heard back Feb 19.

I've told my immediate family, my close friends, and some of my co-workers. Once I start losing the weight, I don't think i'm going to broadcast it though. I'm just going to say that I've made major changes to how much I eat, and I exercise. Which will be telling the truth.

I don't know. I'm not so worried about the sagging skin. If it's really bad i'll see if my insurance will pay to fix that. Good luck to you. I posted in the either September or August surgery forum. I'm hoping that's when I'll have my surgery.

I also live in Virginia and have Anthem BCBS. I have not heard of this. I am waiting for approval now, and I never had to wait 12 months. All I had to do was, one NUT class, one Psyc evaluation, PCP letter, and Orientation.

I'm sorry you have to go through all of that, but time will fly by fast.

Well' date=' after your 6 months is complete, your surgeons office will probably take 2-3 weeks to do some pre-pre-op testing and review the results. Then it can take 2 weeks for processing, then they'll submit the claim. I heard back in 3 weeks. So while my 6 months was up Jan 4, nothing was submitted till Jan 29. Then I heard back Feb 19.[/quote']

OMG I HOPE THAT DOESN'T HAPPEN TO ME!! I'm hoping they can stick to an Aug surgery date. I have a cruise set for December. If for whatever reason I have surgery in Sept do you think I'd still be able to make it. Will I be on purée food?

I also live in Virginia and have Anthem BCBS. I have not heard of this. I am waiting for approval now, and I never had to wait 12 months. All I had to do was, one NUT class, one Psyc evaluation, PCP letter, and Orientation.

I'm sorry you have to go through all of that, but time will fly by fast.

I think it's because I have COVA Care, which is Commonwealth of Virginia, and I was told the state(who ever chooses state employees insurance) specifically chose having employees go through the 12mths. Though it has been a long wait, I am thankful for the extra time to get my mind right.

Thanks. I hope it goes by fast too! talking-to-god-smiley-emoticon.gif