Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I'm 60 lbs down so far and while it seems that everyone around me who loses 5 lbs drops a dress size I've gone from a size 24 to a size 20. 60 lbs and 2 sizes down? WTF?

Someone please tell me I'm not the only one with this problem.

I have not had surgery yet, but I do understand where you are coming from. Years ago, I was 175 pounds and wore a size 12. Now, I weight 230 and wear a size 16. This does not make sense to me. Is this some elaborate joke in the clothing industry? Exactly how many pounds is a dress size?

What's your body type? Apple, pear, hour glass?

So I'm 60 lbs down so far and while it seems that everyone around me who loses 5 lbs drops a dress size I've gone from a size 24 to a size 20. 60 lbs and 2 sizes down? WTF?

Someone please tell me I'm not the only one with this problem.

The smaller you are, the quicker you change sizes. Ie: it will take a lot of lbs lost to get from 20 to 18, but it will only take a few to go from a 10 to an 8 and then before you know it, you're in a 6.

They drop sizes less often when above a 20...

But that doesn't take away from your great weight loss!

I feel your pain. I myself could lose 60 lbs and only go down one or two dress sizes. It makes no sense to me either

Clothing sizing is not linear! The smaller sizes are more closely spaced apart and as you go higher, there is more room between sizes. Otherwise, when I decided to have the VSG (10 months ago), I probably would have been a size 46 (at 319 lbs), rather than the size 26-28 that I was actually wearing!

I have now lost about ~125 lbs and wear a size 16-18 depending on the style. That's about 5 sizes over 125 lbs (or about 25 lbs/size). That it's improving now, as I seem to be able to go down 1 size for about every 15 lbs lost (roughly).

It also depends on where you are losing from and what your body shape is. I carry a lot of my weight in my legs/buttocks/lower abdomen. So I can move down in pants size for my waist, but my legs and butt are still too big to be comfortable!

It does vary from person to person, body type to body type. I have huge hips, so even though my top size has gone down, my pants are still at a loose 18 or snug 16. My BFF had GB and weighs about 12 pounds less than me (exact same height), but she wears a size 10!

That being said, I want to say congratulations on your great weight loss so far, and before you know it, your clothes size will reflect it.

Like everything else in this journey, patience is key.

In general, about 10lbs for sizes under 14, and 20-30 for plus sizes. Also depends on the maker and materials.

You are so not alone! I too have lost 61 lbs, and have only gone down 2 clothing sizes. People tell me I look like I am losing weight from my head down, and it doesn't seem to have hit my middle yet, unfortunately. I think the clothes we have been wearing have a lot of stretch and give to them, and so we can wear them longer. It bothers me too, but I tell myself that at least I'm not blowing lots of $ on clothes that I will only wear for a short amount of time.

I have given away most of my 2x clothes, size 24, 22 and refuse to wear that size even if I can. When winter is over, most of my winter things will go too!!! Have fit into clothes that I bought several years ago, that still had tags on them because I never got into them. Don't get discouraged!!!

Also different clothing labels really vary in how they are sized. I hit sales in January for some cocktail style dresses that I need for upcoming weddings. I feel in love with one of the first dresses I tried on .....a size 10 fit perfect.....I was thrilled. Next dress I loved was a 12 and couldn't even come close to closing the zip. I hated to but grabbed the 14 in the same dress. Fit but still tight, a Calvin Klein. I decided Calvin was bad for my self esteem and left the store with my one dress, the size 10:):).

I had a closet ranging from 28 to 18. I have bags of the larger sizes to donate. But it is so weird that I am in a very baggy 20, but can't even come close to zipping those size 18 pants. The sad thing is that I only own 3 size 20s and a dozen 18s. I joke that the day I buy more 20s, the next day all the 18s will fit.

So, I put my chin up and laugh at my own baggy pants. Luckily work has been awesome as 2 of my 3 pairs of pants are dark denim. Thank goodness for understanding bosses!

The smaller you get the less inches between each size. The bigger you are the more inches between sizes. I use American Eagle and Lane Bryant size charts here. That's the best I can do hope it helps :) now keep in mind mushing into a size is not the same as being in that size. I can mush my butt in a 14 but I slide easy in a 16.

Wast/Hips

48/56 size 28

46/54 size 26

44/52 size 24

42/50 size 22

40/48 size 20

38/46 size 18

34/44 size 16

33/42 size 14

31/41 size 12

30/39 size 10

28/38 size 8