Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

too many questions..

:help: Hi, I was wondering how long a driving restriction would be on? how many wks do they recommend after surgery to be out? I have 6wks on my insurance for 100%. Also, after 2yrs if u gain weight and u still have the banded ... do they fill u again or adjust it. that stays in .. so, i would think the dr have more control than an rny. do they take the port out?

just wondering thx.. Minniegiggl:clap2:

My first suggestion would be to just keep reading, there is a lot to be learned about the band! It is an awesome tool, but it like any other surgery is best gone into with a full understanding of what is being done and why.

I will do my best to answer the questions you have ask here today. But I am not a good replacement for asking your Dr. these things.

As for time off, I could not imagine needing 6 weeks. I was back up to normal in days. I was driving within a week I would guess, I might have waited the 10 days til my stitches were out.

Most Dr.'s/surgeons, will begin to fill the band within 8 weeks of surgery if you are showing signs of needing a fill. Those signs include hunger, and an ability to eat large amounts of food. There is a wide range of how much and how often Dr.'s do fills. There is nothing preventing a fill after 2 years out, but usually by that time, you will have had a few fills. The fact that is IS adjustable is one of the biggest advantages of this surgery as opposed to rny, in my opinion. I am a cancer survivor, if I were to relapse, and need more nourishment than I am taking in with my band, it could be unfilled. With lap band we do not automtically suffer from malnourishment.

The band, tubing and port are all ideally to remain prermanently in the body, able to be adjusted at any time. Even when one reaches goal weight there is no reason to remove any of the 3 parts.

Good Luck on your continued research. Ask any questions you have...it is the best way to learn!

Kat

:help: Hi, I was wondering how long a driving restriction would be on? how many wks do they recommend after surgery to be out? I have 6wks on my insurance for 100%. Also, after 2yrs if u gain weight and u still have the banded ... do they fill u again or adjust it. that stays in .. so, i would think the dr have more control than an rny. do they take the port out?

just wondering thx.. Minniegiggl:clap2:

I was out for one week, actually a day short of one week. I could have used a few more days, but could function. I have a desk job, but came back to a really busy time, and worked a lot of overtime my first couple of weeks back.

Driving restriction was just no driving while still on the pain meds.

Yes, they can adjust you as often as you need. I've had three fills, and am thinking about another one. That was one reason I chose this over the RNY, it can be customized for me.

The port and the band are intended to be left in for life, barring any problems.

I too was out and about within a week...adjustments are a slow and gentle thing...hopefully you dr wont make the mistake (my dr did) of putting the maximum in on the 2nd fill! hmmmm just inexperience...he was very new to the lapband procedure...needless to say he fixed it up very pronto. but things like this don't usually happen...just to me!

:o

I drove a few days after surgery without any problem. I took a out 4 or 5 days off of work and was back into the swing of things. As far as having the port removed this is uncommon. You can live with your band (provided it is healthy) for a long time. Good luck.