Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi I am very new and wanted to ask how long after the dr consultation before surgery?

I saw my Dr for the first time in Oct. I'm scheduled to have surgery March 25th.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I saw my Dr for the first time in Oct. I'm scheduled to have surgery March 25th.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Wow why so long

I think it depends on your insurance. After I had my consult with my surgeon, I then met with their financial person and she told me that my insurance requires 6 months of nutrition visits. I did that, they submitted the paperwork and I was scheduled for surgery 2 weeks after the approval came in.

Depends on your insurance and how quickly you get the ball rolling. :)

I have BCBS of CA. I had my first consult on Feb 1st, completed all the insurance requirements less than a week after, submitted to insurance on Feb 11th, and got a surgery date a week later. My surgeon could've scheduled me for March 4th but I wanted to wait 'til April to give myself time to prepare and get things ready. Had I not waited, I would've been sleeved 31 days after I began the process.

I had BC/BS of Mass. They were on top of it! I had an esophageal stricture that I had to get dilated before surgery, and that added a month to my process. I started in late October by going to a WLS seminar. Then I had my consult in early November. My upper GI and dilation was in early Dec. My surgeon reviewed the results and submitted to my carrier in mid Dec. My approval came through within a week. Because of my dr.'s heavy schedule, I didn't have surgery till 1/28.

I have BCBS of Mass. Also. My consult is Monday. I am so hoping for early approval. They will pay for 90%. Very excited to get the process going!

Saw my dr December 31 for first consultation. Then i had all my tests. Scheduled for surgery march 20. I have bcbs New York. For me, it all depended on how fast I could get all my appointments done. Once I had my 2nd consultation, they submitted my approvals to the insurance and I was approved 2 days later.

Wow good luck to you! It's exciting!

I have BCBS of Illinois and did not have to do any supervised diet beforehand and from my 1st appt. (11-29) until when I have surgery (3-20) will be almost 4 months! It can take a while to schedule certain appt. and some things take more than 1 appt. to complete. (I had to have 2 appt. for psych evaluation and I was required by the surgeon to see the nutritionist twice prior to surgery.) I received approval yesterday and was scheduled for 3-20 because the surgeon is almost completely booked for the month of march. Even though we try our best to get the process completed quickly unfortunately there are many variables out of our control! Be patient!

I had my consult this month - I have BCBS TX and there is a three month supervised diet. I have completed the tests - have an appointment in March and April and then pre-op. They told me to plan for May.....so three months.....honestly I think the waiting is the worst/

I had BC/BS of Mass. They were on top of it! I had an esophageal stricture that I had to get dilated before surgery, and that added a month to my process. I started in late October by going to a WLS seminar. Then I had my consult in early November. My upper GI and dilation was in early Dec. My surgeon reviewed the results and submitted to my carrier in mid Dec. My approval came through within a week. Because of my dr.'s heavy schedule, I didn't have surgery till 1/28.

I have BCBS of Mass. Also. My consult is Monday. I am so hoping for early approval. They will pay for 90%. Very excited to get the process going!

I'm from Mass too! Where did you have your procedures done?

I live in Virginia. We just have that insurance.

Oh ok.